Campervan inspections WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 14:44
ThreadID: 76262 Views:6357 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We are considering buying a campervan in Melbourne and driving it around the top back to Perth. What's the requirement to have the campervan inspected to have it re-licensed in WA ? Do I have to get the camper bit approved by someone first (gas and 240V electrics) then over the pits for the usual roadworthy checks ? I could not find anything on the web about how to go about this. Would be grateful for any help on this please. Old Mal (again)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:47

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 15:47
Hi Old Mal

We purchased a caravan from Qld (not new). We had the licence transferred to us for which we had to give our Qld residential address (the people we had purchased from as we were staying with them in the caravan), and our WA postal address. On return to WA we had three months to transfer to WA lic. This involved an inspection at our licensing centre.Check with your local licensing centre for up to date information.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405595

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:03

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:03

is the relevant section of our licensing authority.

You will of course be maintaining it on the NSW licence until you return to WA. You may have to give NSW residential address in NSW for this as we did in Qld; it has been discussed on the forum a number of times if you can find these threads. I think you have three months once you return to WA to get it transferred.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675325

Reply By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:35

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:35
Hi Mal,

Check with someone who lives there about which licience centre to go to as well.

Midland for example was terrible while Welshpool used to bemuch better. East Perth is very hard to get things through as well. That is very strick on rules.
AnswerID: 405601

Follow Up By: stumbly1 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:59

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:59
welshpool has changed - you can't book in, turn up in the morning and get in line, pot luck if your late as the line is usually pretty long. Kelmscott seems to be ok, ring up and arrange a time - they seem pretty quick and reasonable.
FollowupID: 675324

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:54

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:54
Hi there. Please be careful!! a few years ago, I worked for an organisation in SA that bought a vehicle from a kindred organisation in NSW. I picked up the car, and drove it home to Adelaide. I then took it (two weeks after) for inspection prior to SA registration. OOPS!!!!!! It transpired that, the minute the car was sold to my SA organisation, the NSW registration ceased to exist,and I was driving unregistered. Goodness knows what applies to the other issues you mention!!
So all you have to do is to magically transport your new campervan to Perth for inspection and approval, before you apply for WA registration, and then drive it home.
So all I can do is accentuate the problem, not provide an answer.
AnswerID: 405604

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:06

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:06
Hi Chris

It seems in your case that the NSW licence was not transferred on purchase.

As our state departments treat each other like hostile enemy countries, getting vehicles licensed in a different state to where you live becomes a mine field.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675328

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:13

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:13
True, Motherhen, but then a real NSW licence could not be transferred to a foreigner from SA. That was the point. Mind you, the feeling was mutual!
Seriously, the issue was indeed that a foreigner could not be a NSW licencee, so transfer was not possible. Only cancellation and then re-registration in foreign lands
FollowupID: 675333

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:22

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:22
That's why in the hostile licencing land of Qld, we became Qld residents to get the licence, even if it was only for a very short time.

If the licence is cancelled, you cannot of course legally drive it to your alien country.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675334

Reply By: bgreeni - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:44

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 18:44
I moved my boat from NSW to WA. Unfortunately the registration had expired as I had been O/S for a number of years.

NSW would not allow me to register it in NSW as I did not have NSW address or drivers licence. WA would give temp permit from border to Perth. SA said if I had WA permit then was OK.

Took the risk in NSW and got it over the border ASAP.

Only catch was when I took it over the pits in WA I was hit for stamp duty on estimated value.
AnswerID: 405620

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:14

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:14
Caravans can be changed into WA registration WITHOUT INSPECTION

In August last year I traded my QLD registered van in Geraldton.

The easiest way to do it was this

Fill in the form take the plate with you Surrender the plate and get the receipt.
Also take ownership papers and gas cert and anything else pertaining to the unit

Pay the money and get a new plate $85 for 6 months including the plate cost.

Affix new plate to van. With Qld they automatically refunded the outstanding reg fee about a month later Vic may be different.

When I got back home to QLD last week I had to get a roadworthy $60 and a gas cert $90 and pay $180 for the new reg.

Also had to get it measured.

Great to be in the Smart State LOL

There is a form on the Dept of Infrastructure and Whatever in WA that tells all as I have stated.

AnswerID: 405634

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:18

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 20:18
Motherhens link gives the info you require

The sticking point is the 12 month ownership so just stay away a bit longer.

All the info is there and tells it as I did it.

FollowupID: 675358

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 14:25

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 14:25
Campervan as in original query , not Caravan . one has a motor for propulsion ,the other requires towing.
FollowupID: 676036

Reply By: Harry - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:57

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:57
It's pretty simple, I just sent my camper to Perth via transport, buyer took it to rego people, shows receipt for ownership, re-register for W.A. after roadworthy, they sent plates back to Vic., drive away no more to pay , not sure if stamp duty came into it.
Just drive it home. (with bill of sale)
AnswerID: 405656

Reply By: blown4by - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 13:47

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 13:47
You cannot just “jump in and drive it home”. This is because the way the 3rd party insurance cover operates in the other States, the cover ceases upon the sale of the vehicle, so unless you manage to transfer the rego in to your name in the State it is registered in, then basically you are driving an unregistered vehicle once the previous owner signs the transfer papers.
To transfer it to your name in another State you generally need to prove you are resident in that State. If you are a “tourist” they may accept a caravan park or other “temporary accommodation” address. You need to get this cleared up otherwise you can be charged with driving an unregistered vehicle, have no 3rd party cover and no comprehensive insurance if an accident occurs even if you are not at fault. Most insurance Companies will not give you cover unless the rego is in your name anyway. If you drive it back to WA on temporary movement permits you generally need one for each State you travel through unless some States recognise the TMP from another State. In WA TMP’s from other States are not recognised as they are a “permit” from another State for 3rd party cover as opposed to vehicle registration. You therefore would need to obtain one prior to passing Eucla. They can be purchased over the phone 13 11 56 by credit card during DOT business hours M-F and cost $20.80 for 48 hours & the operator will quote you the permit number which can be checked by the Police if they so wish. They can be purchased in advance, you just nominate the time & date you want the cover to commence. This allows for time differences, no mobile phone coverage, etc. If you are travelling back to WA over several months TMP’s are probably not an option as they are generally limited in time and are usually for moving an unregistered vehicle for repair or inspection prior to registration. The cover does not extend to “touring around” but you need to check those TMP details with the States you are travelling through.
To transfer the rego to WA without an inspection it must be currently reg’d & you must be able to prove it has been reg’d in your name continuously for 12 months. You need Proof of Ownership i.e. the rego papers in your name, and Proof of Identification of the person whose name it will be reg’d in WA i.e. Your MDL. The Tare weight from a registered weighbridge is also required. Stamp duty is only paid once, if the vehicle is reg’d in your name that is proof it has already been paid so it is not charged again. You hand in the plates from the other State & are given a plate receipt for them which can be used to claim a refund on any rego left in the other State (if it is already reg’d in your name) The plates are not returned to the State of issue, they are destroyed as that number cannot be used again. If it needs to be examined in WA the cost 4500GVM $137.50 & there are further fees should a re-inspection be required. You can pay for the inspection as above 13 11 56 or you can pay for it at any WA Examination Centre or Licensing Centre. Warwick, Midland, Kelmscott & Osborne Park take bookings only and at O’Connor & Welshpool you just wait in line. At those two to, avoid a long wait it is best to arrive prior to their 0730 start time and avoid Fridays if possible as they are busiest. East Perth is now closed being replaced by Osborne Park.
A current Notice of Compliance plate fitted by a Licensed Gas Fitter is required if LPG is “hard plumbed” as the LPG safety decal for the fridge & stove operation (if fitted). There is no requirement for any electrical authority safety certificate although reputable brand campers will have that and for your own safety & that of your family, friends & other electricity supply users it is just plain common sense.
All 6 Examination Centres are Staffed with qualified & trained Vehicle Examiners to examine the vehicle for identity, road worthiness, safety & compliance for your protection & that of other road users. People who say some are “too hard” are just annoyed they cannot get their vehicles passed that don’t comply or are defective because they think the rules that apply to us all do not apply to them. They are the same the same people who would want to take the Examiners to court if they did pass something that was defective that resulted in an accident or a dispute with the person the vehicle was purchased from. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 406329

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)