Hilux diesel fuel pump leaking

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:56
ThreadID: 76270 Views:9767 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi community,
I have a 98 hilux 3.0l that is occassionally hard to start (blow lots of black smoke and runs rough for a bit)
It can easly be restarted straight away and then runs correct/smooth and no black smoke.
I had the injector pump rebuit 16 months ago and It has ran fine until just recently.
Then it started playing up.
Fitted so far chasing problem.
1. Refurbished injectors
2. New Glow plugs and tested voltage current draw = OK
3. Some new rubber lines where they looked aged
4. New fuel Filter and Pump assembly.
5. Tested Fuel filler cap
6. New copper washers at connection to injector pump.
7. Checked all lines from front to back.
8. Tank is also clear and clean.
After all this it still plays up.
I have hooked a vacum pump to the line and drawn fuel from tank and have noticed that air does get into the system through the pruge pump depressing button (once it sucks in). IS THIS NORMAL???? I guessing not but the vacum unit does create a lot of suction and high flow.
Tested from suction side of pump/filter to tank and no air gets in under vacum.
What else should I be looking for????
Maybe sticky shutdown fuel solenoid!!!!
Any thoughts as Im about ready to run it into a shop for them to have a go.
One looks back and says why didn't I take it in in the first instance but once you start chasing when do you stop.
Cheers from Nth Qld
Bluespot.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:30

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:30
You must have a leaking primer pump even though it is new
Also check flexible fuel line on the inside of the LH chassis rail behind the cab to see that it is not kincked
AnswerID: 405644

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:47

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:47
Bluespot
Black smoke usually means excess unburnt fuel or a lack of air as opposed to blue smoke which is oil or white smoke which is completely unburned fuel. Have you checked the air filter and intake hoses? It would appear most of the things you have tried are related to a restricted fuel supply (except the injector rebuild) but as said black smoke is usually to much fuel or not enough air or incorrect timing but this last one usually does not correct itself.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 405665

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 00:12

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 00:12
what 'pop' has posted looks correct to me, as I had a similar situation many years ago with a diesel pump causing similar problems, had the pump rebuilt and retimed.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 677666

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:30

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:30
The primer pumps do wear out but is often a case of them being over used to expel air when the leak itself should have been fixed when it 1st appeared.

If its the same filtration the landcruiser of the same vintage ,it could be leaking around thefuel filter seal
AnswerID: 405672

Reply By: trainslux - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:05

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:05
On the top of your fuel pump, is there a fuel correction/ cold start assembly that has a diaphragm in it.
Have come across loose, leaking, cracked ones before that give poor cold start, excessive fuel burn, and black smoke.

Best bet is too fit some clear plastic hose to the fuel system after the fuel filter pump between it and the injector pump, and look for leaks when running too.

Could be that its leaking air, and bleeding away fuel causing poor starting as well.
Just re read your bit about drawing air when pulling vac from the filter pump on the injector pump side.
I had 3 of these leak air, and they were all brand new, must have been a batch.
ended up putting in a cav system to fix it.

Let us know how you go.

Trains
AnswerID: 405714

Follow Up By: Bluespot - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:40

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:40
New primer pump fitted and all seams to be OK.
Toyota was sceptical for a replacement under warrantry at first but they managed to dig up my purchase invoice from where I bought the originals.
The new one was is holding a vacum against my finger for quite a while the other genuiene toyota primer must have had a problem new out of the box.
Thanks for the help guys
Bluespot
FollowupID: 677609

Reply By: Bluespot - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:44

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:44
Hi guys,
Thanks for the feedback.
After reading all comments I have now taken the genuine toyota primer pump unit that I bought to the local Toyota dealer in Townsville for replacement.
They are questioning the replacement as I don't have the reciept with me as I'm on holidays 700 km from where I bought the unit.
You would think a call to the dealer where I bought it with a quick record of sale and name check would suffice being as Im stuck in the mean time trying to sort and issue.
At 128 clams these things are not cheap so I'm waiting for a responce sometime tomorrow as the sales dude had to check with his manager.

Hoping the words service an support still lives in the Toyota spare parts division

regards
from a calm.... for now..... Bluespot .
AnswerID: 405840

Follow Up By: Bluespot - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:39

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:39
New primer pump fitted and all seams to be OK.
Toyota was sceptical for a replacement under warrantry at first but they managed to dig up my purchase invoice from where I bought the originals.
The new one was is holding a vacum against my finger for quite a while the other genuiene toyota primer must have had a problem new out of the box.
Thanks for the help guys
Bluespot
FollowupID: 677608

Sponsored Links