Caravan thefts trigger security warning

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:21
ThreadID: 76289 Views:4205 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Probably nothing new to you guys but if you're in Perth it's a timely reminder:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/6843526/caravan-thefts-trigger-security-warning/

Caravan owners have been urged to improve security on their vans after two were stolen in Perth's eastern suburbs during the past fortnight.

Police said a caravan valued at more than $85,000 was stolen from outside a man's South Guildford property this morning.

The man was woken about 3.50am by the sound of a vehicle driven slowly past his house.

He went outside to investigate and discovered his caravan - a Supreme Territory model - which had been locked on the verge of his Houghton Close home was gone.

Police said a padlock used to secure the towing hitch had been cut off.

East metropolitan crime prevention unit Sgt Garry Tuffin said the theft had raised concerns after a caravan had been stolen in Maida Vale on February 10 "under similar circumstances".

He said the caravan was stolen from Advent Park on Kalamunda Road was also a Supreme Territory model.

"I strongly urge all caravan owners to consider upgrading their van security as a matter of urgency," Sgt Tuffin said.

Anyone with information on either theft has been asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

I guess the same can be said for boats, expensive bike/race car trailers etc. Lock it or lose it!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:30

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:30
It beggars the question, what do they do with them once they are stolen? How easy is it to change chasis numbers etc...? Who do they sell them to and how do they find buyers?
Must be some set up they have.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405723

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:02

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:02
Not being a caravanner I don't know, but I'd imagine they would be able to remove or re-stamp the chassis number with another one. They probably get transported over east and re-birthed, or sold to someone for use as a permanent accommodation somewhere.

Are caravans subject to the same statutory write-off provisions as cars are when they are smashed in an accident?

The article said that a padlock used on the hitch was cut off. I wonder what sort of padlock it was - I think I'd be inclined to use something a bit more robust and dedicated than a padlock, especially for something that expensive that is being parked on the front lawn...
FollowupID: 675458

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59
Maybe they're just "borrowing" it for their own 'round-Australia trip?
FollowupID: 675466

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:45

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:45
May not help but has anyone ever considered data dots placed all over the place in thier vans or vehicles.

I am about to put some on my new equipment and household stuff just in case.

It still sucks when some low life steals your gear. Just look up Data Dots.

Brian
AnswerID: 405724

Reply By: ob - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:38

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:38
My suspecsion is that they are being "stolen to order" and as has been said possibly transported to another state for resale with new rego and VIN.
Both Supreme Territory models probably a bit upmarket for just onsite use and that would carry a higher risk.
I wonder how they target them? I guess if they are parked where they can be seen from the road then thats that but if you had it parked behind your house but not under cover Google Map may be their friend. Mine is going under cover.
Supreme Spirit not Territory but who knows??????

ob
AnswerID: 405737

Reply By: palais - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:51

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:51
That's near my house in Perth..

I wonder if they used nearmap.com to case the place. There's a boat round the corner from there that looks nice! :)
AnswerID: 405743

Follow Up By: zolle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:48

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:48
No sign of the van on 31st December, they must have been travelling?
FollowupID: 675550

Reply By: Member - Phonga (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 13:56

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 13:56
I recently heard of a website that has been set up called www.pleaserobme.com

It scans social netwrok sites like facebook and twitter and looks for people talking about holidays etc. They then post the location of the empty houses of the people on holidays!!

Scary stuff!!

ps. I'm at home and I'm never intending on leaving. The fourbie and camper trailer are just for show. If they're not in the driveway I've just got them in the lounge room for a bit of cleaning :)
AnswerID: 405754

Reply By: d04 - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 21:44

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 21:44
I live in the same street and the padlock was something to see, I have never seen a stronger one what they used to break it leaves me stunned
AnswerID: 405816

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:12

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:12
explain plz

Do you know where the padlock was inserted, what type etc

Would one of those locking devices that insert into the ball receiver have been better?
FollowupID: 675539

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 21:49

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 21:49
If they really want it, there is not a lot you can do. I use a wheel clamp and a treg lock and keep my van insured. The wheel clamps are from this company

I am sick of people who probably wouldn't do an honest day's work helping themselves to stuff that I have worked years for!
AnswerID: 405817

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 22:41

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 22:41
And if you catch 'em in the act and give 'em a hiding for their trouble, you're the one who gets charged with a criminal offence.
FollowupID: 675533

Follow Up By: nomadoz - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:53

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:53
only if you tell anyone

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 675588

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 14:21

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 14:21
Trouble is these lowlifes will run and bleat to anyone who'll listen, and despite the reason they were in your line of fire you get painted as the bad guy.

Either that or they bring their mates back with them.
FollowupID: 675616

Reply By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:55

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:55
I was just wondering ????? would it be possible to attach a couple of personal alarms in some way to the lowered corner jacks. so that if they were lifted they would set off the alarm??? My prefered way would be somehow to pass a 240 volt current thru the tow hidge
Brian
AnswerID: 405850

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:53

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:53
We were only having a discussion the other night about vans and gennies going walk about over in WA. Do we have to start taking tyres off or unbolt the tow hitch or something so its a pain in the butt for these low life's to take our pride possessions. With all the hype of the minning boom going on over there are these vans parked up in a caravan park some where to live in while the mongrels are making big bucks.
I don't know if id want mine back if it was stolen. We are particular about ours you wouldn't know where its been.
AnswerID: 405901

Follow Up By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 17:22

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 17:22
Theft of High Value items is an on going problem all over Australia.

We have previously supplied datalogging/reporting GPS units that cost around $500 to purchase outright. They then take a normal Mobile phone SIM card and can be programmed to send a text with their position on certain conditions. eg Movement , or on power up.

What this allows you to do is wire the unit into the caravans electrics, and every time the van has power applied (240v or 12v) the unit powers up and sends you a text with it's current position.

You can also text the device manually and request it to send you it's position.

Obviously if the thief finds it and removes it then it wont help. They are about the size of a box of cigarettes, but to hide them away inside the Van / motor home or boat requires the use of an external antenna (quite small)

If you would like to know more please send me a message or email and I'll get back to you.
FollowupID: 676060

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 13:32

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 13:32
We have a High Tensile Chain and Lock that goes through the axles and wheels, we also have a Tow Ball in the Tow Hitch with a heavy duty lock through the Eye, we also have the Breakaway Plug set up that if the van is moved it will lock up the Brakes instantly, ok they could remove the obstacles if they are desperate but they would have to make a hell of a racket doing it, and after backing their vehicle into our property to flog the van, our alarm sensor would deter them and give our neighbours the horrors.

Cheers
AnswerID: 405929

Reply By: d04 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:54

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:54
Road Warrior, I only saw it from the road, it looked like it went through the hitch somehow, I dont think apair of boltcutters could have cut it, not sure how they did it,the people were leaving the next day, they are bleep tered.
AnswerID: 406039

Sponsored Links