Bullbar for V8 GXL Petrol

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 09:57
ThreadID: 7629 Views:1948 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.

I have recently purchased a V8 GXL 100 series petrol Landcruiser and am thinking about mounting an ARB steel bullbar and a dual battery system. I have received conflicting advice from retailers re the ability of the standard suspension on the car (IFS) to deal with the added weight. I had the same conflict in advice with the 80 Series I had but had no problem with standard suspension when I fitted the same accessories to that car.

I'd appreciate any comments from list members who might have experience in this area.

Thanks

PeterK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 19:06

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 19:06
I havent had any experience with 100 series but I understand your confusion as I am just going through a suspesion upgrade on my 73 series.This is one of those things that is very hard to prove or disprove.The retailers may have your interests at heart or maybe its your wallet.Obviously if you place more load on your suspension it will wear out quicker.What I would do is measure the clearance before and after,take it for a test drive in all conditions and then make your decision.Keep measuring it for sag,maybe even pay someone to do a suspension check in 6 months.If there is no problems you will have saved money .If you need to upgrade your springs you are only doing something you would have had to do anyway.My guess is Toyota which sells most of its landcruisers to Australia (12%of total production) would have made some allowance for extra weight knowing our love affair with bullbars.
Another option is an alloy bullbar which is maybe half the weight for a few hundred more.TJM have a nice one for a 100 series that won an export award and it sure does look good
AnswerID: 32905

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 21:41

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 21:41
I have a 2001 100 series T/D Landcruiser with an ARB steel Bullbar and the IFS on that has no problem with the added weight. I got a suspension upgrade on the vehicle with heavier springs and shocks after the bullbar, just because we load up the car with kids and gear. The IFS front end had a torsion bar adjustment which gave it about 1.5 inches more lift up front but that is all. The front end works just fine. If you thought that it needed it, I reckon that you could talk to ARB and they could adjust the torsion bar to lift it a bit for a small fee. I would go the steel bar again - no dramas at all. Out the back of NSW hit a roo doing 120 KPH (me not the roo!!!) Glad to have steel up front an the bar only got a small bend down the bottom. The roo was not so good.

Andrew
AnswerID: 32924

Reply By: Peterk - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:32

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:32
Thanks to Ross and Andrew for their responses.

I will go ahead with the ARB steel bar but keep a check on the suspension height as suggested.
AnswerID: 33095

Sponsored Links