TV tuner/ USB stick??

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:03
ThreadID: 76290 Views:3502 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
If this has been done before- could you give me a thread number. I have done a search.
OK..I'm off to Tassie for a month, and will be holed up for a few days at various locations. Have a lappy and TV may be good.
What's the go with USB TV tuners ??
Are they for digital or just analog ??
Do I need a fancy external antenna?? "Rabbit Ears' on a tent pole ??
Any eBay recommendations?? What should I be looking for??
Any info or leads gratefully accepted !!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:15

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:15
I have various tuner cards and also have a USB Videomate U2800 from Compro
It is a hybrid A/D tuner, which means you can receive analogue as well as digital tv.
Small antenna is included in some areas this does not help much ..
If you really want good reception you may need a higher gain antenna but it greatly varies on the area.

I also have a Compro PCMCIA card D/A which is just as good.
The latest compro software is better now .. I did not like the older versions.

I also have a DVICO external USB receiver digital only

and a bunch of Analogue and digital PCI Cards. The USB U2800 is working good
and also allows external analogue capture when you want to transfer some old videos or hook up the analogue satellite receiver.

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 405731

Reply By: DesF - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 13:51

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 13:51
Hi, I have a AverMedia Hybrid+FM Card Model E506 and it works well. it was $120.00 about 18 month's ago, I have used it QLD as well as all over SA.
It has a small antenna which works well in the cities with strong signals, but it also takes the STD coax cable as well, when away in the van I just connect it to the white plastic "T Bar" std van antenna and when the signal is a bit week I use my booster from home,
It has a good program with it , it also has time share and you can record to it as well, on my Acer laptop the reception is in HD, really good .
When we were away last August, I just slip the card in and it does a scan , either Dig or Analogue, Places like Cobar didn't have DIg but still got the local stations.
Very happy with it , small to carry as well.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 405753

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 17:44

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 17:44
Like gmd I've got the Video Mate usb stick made by compro. Mine is the U2600F Hybrid D/A stick, which I got at Leading Edge Electronics, (Dick Smith). About $180 from memory. Has it's own small antenna or you can plug the coax cable from the van or a portable antenna into it. I find it sensational. Has an auto search for each new location. gets HD, analog TV and also FM radio stations.
have a look here
AnswerID: 405781

Reply By: Member - Dave and Shaz - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:34

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:34
I have a Pinnacle USB stick for bringing in a TV signal onto my laptop. Works fine as long as there is signal. The aerial that came with the USB stick is only good for towns really, but if you have an outdoor aerial you will get a better signal. The Pinnacle only brings in a digital signal. Was in Tassie this time last year and got TV signal in Hobart and New Norfolk, but nowhere else really as we bushcamped a lot. Have a great time and take your woollies!
AnswerID: 406542

Sponsored Links