Cargo barrier for behind drivers seat - Help

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:31
ThreadID: 76418 Views:7465 Replies:10 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
We need a cargo barrier for behind the front seats. We have a bed extension from the Outback drawers to the rear of the front seats. All heavy stuff goes under it and in the drawers. But the bedding and clothes on the top are loose.

I would also like to be able to remove it when we put the middle row of seats in. Not often; but it does happen.

My question is: Has anyone got any info on the source of a cargo barrier to fit immediately behind the front seats of a Toyota 100 series GXL?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:46

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:46
Have you tried looking up Milford cargo barriers? I had a Pajero that had a Milford cargo barrier that could be put in two positions - either behind the second row of seats, or when we rolled those seats forward, we could put the cargo barrier directly behind the drivers seat. The cargo barrier is not too hard to remove.

The only problem I can see with wanting to put a cargo barrier directly behind the drivers seat is if your car has side and curtain airbags. My current vehicle does, so we can only use its cargo barrier in the position behind the second row of seats.

Hope this helps.

Leanne
AnswerID: 406504

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:36

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:36
Same here. Milford barrier.

No airbags so sometimes use it.
There is a pair of mounting points near the 2nd seat roof hanles, and the barrier comes with a 2nd set of longer brackets at the bottom to pick up the points in the floor.
FollowupID: 676337

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:52

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:52
Hi

If you go to Milford industries website, sorry don't know how to do a link, they show a dual position cargo barrier for a variety of 100 series.

www.milfordind.com.au

Hope this helps

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 406505

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:58

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:58
Thanks Tezza

Just sent them an enquiry.

Phil
FollowupID: 676281

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:58

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 14:58
Tezza and Leanne

I will check them out.

No side bags than god.

Phil
AnswerID: 406506

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 07:12

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 07:12
I have a LC200 and have a Milford barrier. I also have airbags all over the place which mean the straps run low down and are a bit of a pain but don't think you will have that problem with the LC100.
FollowupID: 676381

Reply By: Muddie - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:33

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:33
Have a look at Blackwidows site, I am not a big fan, I think its over rated & heavily promoted but has some good ideas.

http://www.blackwidow4wdstorage.com/cargo_barriers/cargo_barriers.htm

regards David
AnswerID: 406511

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:57

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:57
Thanks David

Just sent them an enquiry.

Phil
FollowupID: 676280

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:59

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:59
I have one sitting in a shed in Caboolture
Was fitted right behind front seats when second row had been removed Has the correct length bars to fix it in the correct place and all

The bottom was attached to the seat mount holes.

AnswerID: 406539

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:55

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:55
Graham

Could you tell me who made it and does it have a door/hatch/windo to be able to reach an esky on the floor behind the console? We also only need a half height one.

We need to be able to get to the niddles and driving drinks etc.

Sorry but its a bit difficult to get up there and have a look as we are in the ACT.

FollowupID: 676277

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:08

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:08
Its a full height Milford and I dont know of any for a croozer with openings.

Neither of my two have them.

We carried lunch and drinks in a cool bag in the front and had a fridge and washibg machine on a floor behind seats

Are you aware that its actually illegal to remove second row seats for a trip I did and had to get an engineers certificate and advise RTA and insurance.

Had to get a new cert when we replaced them.

FollowupID: 676284

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:33

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:33
No good on the barrier.

Also I hate stuff in the front. Not even a handbag thank you. Thats another reason we got the indash GPS and why the radios are all in the back and bolted down not just with velcro or straps either. Microphones are on the back of the center console. The only thing I want in the front that is not standard is the fire extinguisher.

About the seats. Your kidding.

But I will check.

Thanks
FollowupID: 676310

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:54

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:54
I no longer have the car so I can't show you pictures of this. On a 1992 (I think it was) Forerunner. No airbags to worry about. I got my local metal working shop to fabricate two brackets that fitted to the top seatbelt points (the seatbelts could still be bolted through the point as well. I used these brackets to bolt to the top of ther regular cargo barrier when it was behind the front seats. I didn't think I needed to bolt to the floor as well as any forwardfs movement pushed the barrier into the rear of the seats. In this way I was able to use a regular cargo barrier either behind the passenger seats or behind the front seats. In practice, I rarely used them behind the front seats after all the trouble we had gone to.
FollowupID: 676316

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:02

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:02
We are yet to go down the path of finding someone to make or modify one for us. Just hoping for an off the shelf solution.

Whwn we travel are mostly on our own (as we like it that way) so the likelyhood of using one in the "rear" position would be most unlikely. It will, be mostly up front behind the drivers seat.

But I understand why you mentioned it.

Thanks
FollowupID: 676321

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:23

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:23
Am most definitely NOT KIDDING about the seats

Its in the national RTA rules.

My engineer explained it to me that by removing all but two seats you technically change the vehicle from an 8 seater car to a van which is a different insurance category for one thing.

I have two blue plates on the firewall to prove it and alterations on my registration certificates.

FollowupID: 676330

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:36

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:36
Don't get your nickers in a knot. I know you aren't kidding. I was just expressing my surprise.

What are "blue plates"?

FollowupID: 676336

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:00

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:00
Wasnt,,, just emphasising

A blue plate is what an engineer (in QLD at least) puts on the car when its modified in any way He also gives you a form which you have to take to RTA and get it entered on the details.

Cost me $60 each time. Too wet to go out and see what the mod number is tonight. will do it tomorrow.
FollowupID: 676341

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:09

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:09
Oh how I hate this texting stuff.

No worries I will see what the locals and the insurance company say.

I don't want to have to do that all the time. If it is the same here then we will most probably ditch all the extra seats permanently. The car is only for 4WD touring for just the two of us. If we take the grand kids then we will take the Maxima. You would be surprised where we have been with that car. The rangers up in the Gawler Ranges in SA couldn't believe we got up there. All it takes is wheel placement etc and of course experience, patience and a bit of the old lady luck. And not being stupid also.

Time for shut eye

Cheers
FollowupID: 676344

Follow Up By: IA-UK - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:23

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:23
Some oldish info about removing seats ...

Australilan National Four Wheel Drive Council
FollowupID: 676346

Follow Up By: JanP - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:07

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:07
Hi vk1dx

Unfortunately I don't where you are.

I have my Milford Barrier in my Pajero moved to behind my front seats by Willshire Motor Trimmers, South road, Marleston in Adelaide. It cost me $240.
They do a lot of work for the goverment and is quite reputable.
They gave paperwork from Millford. You are suppose to remove the warranty tag and send it to Millford, because they don't guarantee it any longer. I did not bother, because I only move it when necessary and the rest of the time it is in the normal position.
Hope this is of some help.
FollowupID: 676352

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:46

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:46
At last, some common sense from IA-UK's post.

The idea that the temporary removal of a rear passenger seat causes a change of vehicle classification is extreme interpretation, as indicated in the link provided.

I remove my rear seats...temporarily, I don't remove the seat belts, I don't modify the seat mounts, I don't change the use of classification of the vehicle, and when the trip is finished..weeks or months later, I refit the seats, and I don't fork out $60 a time to get a blue mod plate to pop rivit to my vehicle.

If however, I decided to remove the seats permanently, remove the seat belts and/or modify the seat mounts, or change the use of classification of the vehicle, I would get a blue plate and have the seating changed, permanently.
FollowupID: 676362

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 07:23

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 07:23
If it only cost $60, I wouldn't mind but, in NSW anyway, the cost is at least $400 for an engineers certificate. Not sure how the insurance is affected but will no doubt cost more as well. I'm going to chance my arm..., the ticket, if I get one, won't be as expensive as the certificate....I hope!!!
FollowupID: 676382

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:14

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:14
"Not sure how the insurance is affected but will no doubt cost more as well. I'm going to chance my arm..., the ticket, if I get one, won't be as expensive as the certificate....I hope!!! "

The fine from the Boys In Blue may only be a few hundred dollars, But the cost from a write off and non paying insurer will hurt the pocket, Particularly if you clean up a Ferrari @ the same time. Any excuse not to pay a claim. You are technically driving un-registered. Wish I had that sort of money lying around.

Steve
FollowupID: 676399

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 11:42

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 11:42
Well, I have told the insurer and that is on the policy so I would like to see them get out of that one and, from the post on rules and regs, it seems as though it is not illegal except perhaps in Queensland and, since I am registered in NSW for now, they can go plat their poop...!!! When I finally move there after my big trip, I will deal with the Queensland regs then but will have all seats back in when I do. And, notwithstanding the rules, it is plain ridiculous to make such a rule anyway...bloody beauracratic nonsense

All this leads me to make my favourite comment about the ridiculous irregularities between States and why we need States in the first place other than to give a few pollies a job they might not otherwise have...job craetion is all it seems to be from my perspective. The sooner we have common Policing/Education/Road Rules/Health the better.
FollowupID: 676414

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:56

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:56
Here is the reg as per QLD.

mine were removed for 14months

The engineer said when he went to the course about them he was told it meant

"for any time at all"

Temporary Removal of Seats:

Modifications tovehiclesare regulated in Queensland to ensure those vehiclesremain in a safe condition. The Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999 requires modifications to be approved. Seating capacity changes are approved though the Approved Person scheme.

The main principal that needs to be addressed in scenarios that have arisen in relation to the removal of seats is whether the vehicle is actually modified or has just been reconfigured in accordance with the manufacturers various options. If seats are reconfigured, no modification occurs and approval is not required. The other factor is the length of time the seats will be removed.

Queensland Transport's policy in relation to this matter is as follows:

Forvehiclesfitted with quick release seating attachments as original equipment, temporary removal of the seats is acceptable. A Modification Plate does not need to be fitted. This is commonly the case for four wheel drives and people movers.

Forvehiclesfitted with bolt in seating structures, no approval by an Approved Person is necessary for the temporary removal of seats, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction.

Vehicleswith the permanent removal of seating structures must be approved by an Approved Person and a Modification Plate must be fitted for the reduction in seating capacity. In this circumstance, any change in vehicle category must also be taken into consideration prior to the
fitting of the Modification Plate. The vehicle operator's insurance company and Queensland Transport should be advised of relative changes to the vehicle.

NOTE: For the purposes of this policy, "permanent" means the seats are removed for an
indefinite period or not expected to be refitted.

Queensland Transport will mutually recognise interstate drivers traveling in Queensland who comply with their own jurisdiction's requirements. These drivers are advised to carry some proof of this compliance.

At the time of a Safety Certificate inspection, the vehicle must be returned to the manufacturer's original condition or have a Modification Plate fitted for the seating configuration as presented.

The vehicle modifier/operator is responsible for ensuring that the safety of the vehicle is maintained and that all seats, when being re-installed, are re-installed in accordance with relevant standards and recognised automotive practice.

Please note that modifying a vehicle that adversely affects its safety, or driving orparking an unsafe vehicle on a road are breaches of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999.

Ana Halesworth
A/Asst Policy Officer
Policy Advice
Ph: 3253 4851

AnswerID: 406601

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 13:06

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 13:06
"For vehicles fitted with bolt in seating structures, no approval by an Approved Person is necessary for the temporary removal of seats, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction."

... how more explained can you get....and for many of us here, it is a temporary removal of a rear seat. Common sense is in the directive, but not in some who read it.
FollowupID: 676434

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 07:56

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 07:56
The way I read that ruling, especially with the follow up explanation is that, the removal of my seats are TEMPORARY and hence, no approval is required.

The seats are out for the duration of my trip around the block and not indefinitely.
FollowupID: 676611

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:19

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:19
When I rang Qld RTA the definition of Temporary was "For a few days but less than a week "

My trip of 13 months was considered indefinite hence the plates.

I really dont care if you do or dont Im just making you aware of what could be.

In my case I preferred to be safer and not sorry.

FollowupID: 676634

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:02

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:02
Thanks all

I need to contact the local authorities (ACT) and see what they say about removing seats.

Phil
AnswerID: 406621

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:34

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:34
Guess what. A good man at the RTA just told me its not a problem here in the ACT. For once the mob here seem to be okay. The main thing is that it is only temporary.

He kept coming back to the statement that it is only temporary. He seemed to like the idea that you could also sleep back there when it was raining. I got the feeling that he has one also.

I feel good today. (and I did not have a spelling error either)

Phil

AnswerID: 406625

Reply By: brushmarx - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:55

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:55
We needed a barrier for behind the back seats in the Monterey after taking out the rear seats, but had a drawer system that prevented a proper barrier being installed.
The drawers have a plywood top extending full width of the rear, so we bought a barrier from a Commodore wagon, and cut off the bottom section under the horizontal bar.
We mounted the top section to two heavy duty stayed shelf brackets bolted to the ply top with big washers, and bolted between the brackets and the barrier.
This has been over 20 000k's of touring with no troubles, and only takes 5 minutes to remove when I remove the drawers.
No testing was done, and it may or may not hold tonnes of projectiles, but I'm pretty sure the 8 bolts it is fitted with will hold as much as the four little bolts the barrier came with as standard.
If you did this to the bed frame, as long as it was strong enough, you may not need special fittings to achieve what you're after.
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 406635

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 11:36

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 11:36
Thanks but we prefer to look for one made for our car.

We have found a source now just have to make sure it mounts properly over our bed extension.

Phil
FollowupID: 676411

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 14:02

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 14:02
Phil,

If it's just clothes and bedding that are loose in the back of the vehicle, is it an option just to tie them down while travelling? I had a dual position cargo barrier in my Jackaroo, but to access anything in the back, you have to stop and get out. Also, the 'front position' wasn't immediately behind the front seats - it was positioned in such a way to fit just behind the folded up centre row seats (so that you don't have to remove them).

Tim.
AnswerID: 406871

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 15:39

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 15:39
I know but we are still looking. We also need access to the rear for the nibbles. Black wid### has one but it will need a door cut into it. Lets see what also turns up. You never know. We use one of those rope based ones at the moment but I am sure that a paid of heavy boots may go through it in an accident.

The BW one fits right up against the drivers seat when the seat is pushed back. This is where we drive; back from the steering wheel. We like our arms uncluttered if you know what I mean.

Not ruling it all out as yet.

Thanks
FollowupID: 676687

Sponsored Links