3" Exhaust

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:10
ThreadID: 76421 Views:4989 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2005 Nissan 3lt Patrol, I have a Steinbauer chip installed, now I would like to know how much difference putting in a 3" exhaust would make with power and would it make any difference to economy, at the moment I am pulling a 21'6" van with no great problems.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:26

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:26
I rang steinbauer the other day to find out some info firstly on their product and I also asked about the exhaust for the prado (turbo diesel 1kz) the Steinbauer product supply and fit was $1500 I asked about putting a Beaudesert (spelling) exhaust to open it up a bit more, reply was waste of money, But did advise me just to change the main muffler as the genuine one has a lot of baffles inside restricting it, he said doing this was as good as spending a grand on a beaudesert exhaust ??? He said if I fit a beaudesert I would gain about 4kw at the engine not at the wheels. Not sure if the patrol would be the same ?? I asked about the dump pipe been smaller then the diameter of the outlet on the turbo and he said so minimal it wouldn't make a difference to performance ?? I have heard of people just doing the exhaust and saying they made a lot more power and turbo spool up quicker reducing turbo lag ?? All of the above was by me asking questions and not actually having any of it done to my own vehicle. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 406508

Follow Up By: rosso1234 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:32

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:32
I always take the advice of people with a interest in selling you something with a grain of salt...... As you said ask the people who have done it, not the sales man and you will get something closer to the truth
FollowupID: 676244

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:00

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:00
Hi Rosso, I have asked the question about the Steinbauer from people who have had it fitted to my exact motor and have been extremely impressed with the product so I will be investing in one, the exhaust on the other hand I have heard pluses and minus, some saying better fuel consumption, more get up and go and some with problems with the actual product eg cracking dump pipes (with pictures to prove) so Im thinking of just getting the muffler changed only and see how it goes, I dont want problems with cracking exhausts etc and if 1k is only going to give me 4kw its definately not worth it. The Steinbauer will jump my nm's from 343 to 412 so bit difference there which is what I want for towing.. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 676247

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:06

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:06

FollowupID: 676249

Follow Up By: Member - Dean C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:12

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:12
I have fitted a DP chip to my GU (04) along with a 2.5'' Beaudesert exhaust. The difference has been amazing to say the least. No turbo lag, huge increase in power but I have no idea about the fuel economy side as I buy it as I need it.
I have been to the Simpson, it just ate the big red!! left 2 Prado's sitting half way up.
I would recomend the same combination to anyone.
Deano
04 GU, 4 wheels and a motor!
FollowupID: 676250

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:30

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:30
Hi there Dean, did you have done at the same time ?? Regards Steve
FollowupID: 676253

Follow Up By: Member - Dean C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:23

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:23
Hi Steve,
yes mate, had both done at the same time in Gympie. When the chip was put in the turbo was recalibrated to allow it to run a bit cooler as overheating had been a problem before with the DP chip (so I was told)
I have also fitted a K&N filter which seems to also help. The truck is a beast!
FollowupID: 676260

Follow Up By: Member - Dean C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:32

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:32
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 676261

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:49

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 18:49
Hi Dean, I was informed by the bloke at Steinbauer that with my'n there is no need for a dyno and also they dont touch the turbo in any way or the main computer, apparantly this thing gets put in the engine bay above fuel pump (somewhere) and changes the way the fuel is delivered/timing on pump, there is a wire connecting to the flyby wire/throttle (spelling) and a couple of positive and negative wires, about an hour/hour 1/2 to install. 30 day trial if not happy or notice any performance differance money back ?? He said no gain in fuel economy and if I want I can have a switch installed on dash so I can turn it off or on when required, not sure of the purpose of the switch ?? If you dont need the extra grunt dont put the foot down as much ?? Regards Steve
FollowupID: 676276

Follow Up By: Member - Dean C (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:00

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:00
Well Steve I really dont understand why you wouldnt want a dyno test done? The guy at Stienbauer sounds a little off hand about it all? Having said that a friend has had one on his Prado and is more than happy with it. The isolation switch?/ if you want to turn it off, why have it in the 1st place?
Yes the DP chip and the Stienbauer are very easy to install, and take off. Why did I go with DP? well it came down to one is manufactured in Oz, and one isnt.
So I went with the Oz made product as I thought, well if its made and developed here, it has done the hard yards in Oz.
Maybe the Stienbauer doesnt run hot? The extra fuel thing is a real 'quick fix' way to extra power, but I think that you do need to look at the extra heat and gas's that are developed by more fuel, and also look at getting more air into the intake (K&N)
It is all part of the package.
The extra grunt comes in handy when you are doing the good stuff, in the dirt and sand!!
FollowupID: 676282

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:34

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:34
Hi ya Dean, I was looking at the DP chip but is that the one that is now not available or only through certain stalls ?? Im sure some one told me they stopped using them due to problems with them ??? or am I thinking of the wrong product ?? I had no idea where either of the products were made, but must admit I'd prefer them not to be playing around or tapping into the main computer less problems if some thing goes wrong ?? Bloke from Steinbauer informed me they dont touch the main computer ?? and if any problems for any reason can switch it off and isolates their product ?? The reason he told me no dyno needed as there is nothing to adjust as they are not touching turbo/computer etc ??? I will ask some more questions this week about it before I book the car in for anything to be done. I have only been looking at it over the last few weeks, like anything you get used to the power then want more LOL. I think I need to take an old 2.8D hilux for a run again to remind me how much better the prado goes LOL..Regards Steve
FollowupID: 676291

Follow Up By: PatrolSTL04 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:16

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:16
Have read on the Net and heard from Fuel Injection guys in Fremantle, that the DP Chip really only increases rail pressure causing seals to blow and leak diesel everywhere. They pull a few out and the client sends back to DP.
Brett....
FollowupID: 676822

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:59

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 15:59
Try asking over here http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/ you will get plenty of answers by guys who have done it.
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 406516

Reply By: Butch58 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:59

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 19:59
HI, I fitted a DP chip to my Nissan Navara 2.5 D22, thought there wasn't much improvement in power so took it for a run on a dyno and just as I though the chip only added 3 kws from standard.

Sent it back to DP and they claimed to fix it but when we fitted it again still hardly any improvement on standard, as well the mechanic who did the dyno wasn't very happy with the way the oxy- fuel mixture changed and was all over the place rather than the smooth curve on original settings.

It's easy to see why they all say there's no need for a dyno check as they don't want you to see the real figures just the placebo affect you think you are getting from fitting a chip.

If you are thinking of getting a chip make sure you get an independent dyno test so you get the real figures not the ones they claim you will get.

I may be wrong but after surfing the net and fitting a chip I'm yet to be convinced that chips work any where as good as claimed, a bigger exhaust and snorkel is just as good and you won't be playing with the electronics and warranty issues ,
cheers Butch
AnswerID: 406554

Reply By: Nutta - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:14

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:14
I've got a 2003 3l patrol with a dtronic fitted.
Sick of spending money on it and sorta wanting a new exhaust i decided to spend $80 and have the main muffler cut off instead , sounds much better without resonating through the cabin on the highway and a hell of a lot cheaper!
Good luck either way.

Cheers Wayne
AnswerID: 406576

Reply By: United Fuel Injection Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:48

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:48
A 3" exhaust on a 3.0 litre patrol will give good gains across the rev range,they get into boost/torque earlier and make them a lot more driveable all over.

My recommendation is a steinbauer and Taipan system.

MAtt
AnswerID: 407133

Sponsored Links