06 Rodeo excessive Oil consumption-what do I do?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 21:32
ThreadID: 76464 Views:6605 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Finally bought myself a ute, an 06 Holden Rodeo TD. Very happy with the deal I got. However after the first week of owning it I’ve noticed something a little odd.

Basically in the first week of owning it, I’ve travelled about 600-700kms and the engine has used over a litre of oil. Now at this time I understand that this might be an indication of an issue arising somewhere. Theres no black smoke, so I don’t think its burning and there doesn’t seem to be any leaks, so I’m a bit worried.

The car was purchased from a dealership, so its under statutory warranty, however this only lasts 5000kms/3 months and I really want to find out why the motors using a litre of oil as the cars only done 30,000kms. Its an 06 so it seems it has spent much of its life in a garage and hasn’t had much use - could this be a factor?

Just after some advice, either if there’s anyone out there with a similar situation with their Rodeo, what it might be or more importantly how can I get this sorted while the cars still under statutory warranty in terms of legal rights in getting the car sorted.

Ive got the car booked in ASAP at the dealership, however im not confident in thier abilities to find the issue, when dropping it off today I was told that it may be normal for th Rodeo to use this much oil....I dont agree.

Cheers all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dbish - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 22:00

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 22:00
Tommo, The oils gota be goin some where if its not leaking externaly stick your finger in the exhaust pipe & check for oil, I asume itsa turbo could have leaking seals in the turbo, more likely to have blue smoke if its oil. Black is over fueling. I wouldnt be happy with that mutch oil consumption. Daryl
AnswerID: 406787

Follow Up By: offroad_tommo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 19:07

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 19:07
Hi Daryl,

Nothing coming from the exhaust pipe, seems fine. Im also wondering if the turbo is inolved.

Thanks
FollowupID: 676743

Reply By: nomadoz - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 23:24

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 23:24
Most cars if you floggggg them, they use excess oil

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 406797

Follow Up By: offroad_tommo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 19:10

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 19:10
Yeh, I guess that'd be the only way a motor could start having issues so soon, being flogged. Not sure of the previous owner but I certainly take it easy with my driving, I like to cruise, not speed.
FollowupID: 676744

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 00:13

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 00:13
I've had a couple of vehicles that have started using oil after a change to a differant type or brand. Possibly its had a recent oil change and it doesn't like the oil. Another possibility is there is something mechanically wrong which would be to disapointing.
AnswerID: 406805

Reply By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:47

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:47
Did you check the oil level before as well as after your travelled the distance? What I am getting at, is it possible that the car yard serviced the vehicle and put in a new oil filter, but hadn't run the vehicle to re-fill the filter and the oil needed topping up from that?
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 406840

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 10:07

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 10:07
Ive got an 04 ,now up to 160,000 klm , does not use or lose a drop between changes , the brand of oil is not an issue but the viscosity is .Holden Jackaroos had the same issues aka oil use due to wrong grade . Would be checking with your dealers mechanic on what grade oil they dumped into her on the service they did prior to your purchase , you know ,the "service" dealers "give" you to make sure the oil is nice and clean for when you pull the dipstick for the first time.
AnswerID: 406843

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 18:10

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 18:10
Ok so Little km in 4 years. Probably never run in correctly. However the acceptable oil usage for a New Vehicle is 0.5 lts per 1000km Used Vehicle it is 1.0lts per 1000km.

If all else checks out ok I would give it a bit of a flogging. I dont mean thrashing, simply load the engine using max throttle going up a hill for several minutes. Then back off and repeat the exercise a few times. Let the engine rev to within 800 rpm of the reline.

What you are trying to achieve is to get as much pressure behind the rings as possible so they will bed in properly. If the bore is severely glazed then it may be too late for this procedure to work.

Carryout a proper oil consumption test by filling the engine up to the full mark, not over, not under, then drive the vehicle for 1000km periodically checking the oil level. Do not add oil till the level drops to the low level on the dipstick, this will require approx 1lt to fill it up from there. I find that many people add 100mm then another 100mm then 50mm and in the end they get incorrect oil consumption figures. Make sure you let the engine reach the low level before adding oil.

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 406919

Sponsored Links