satphone systems

Had anybody used the INMARSAT system with satphones and is so what comments regarding service etc. rgds Gitsho
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 15:57

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 15:57
Inmarsat is normally a large scale Satellite system mostly aimed at the commercial shipping market.

An Iridium Sat phone would in all likelihood be a more suitable system for four wheel driving and remote travel.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 406889

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:27

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:27
As said above, they are more designed along commercial needs and can be used as a portable, mobile or permanent installation with separate voice, fax and data phone numbers using commercial grade geo stationary satellites.

The other advantage is you can run cordless phones and fax machines of the transceiver together at the same time.

We use the Optus Mobilesat system that is much the same as the Inmarsat system.

Both these systems are more stable then the Iriduim and Thuraya.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all.
AnswerID: 406899

Follow Up By: furph - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 17:05

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 17:05
We also use the Optus system using the Westinghouse transceiver unit.

Whilst providing 100% communication/reliability, for mobile use it is a quite bulky unit, a very expensive antenna (if unlucky enough to damage it) and a fairly high current draw. (around 2a. standby, 10a. transmit/receive)

Ours is also for business use (installed behind the seats in an hzj75) for over 10yrs. and not withstanding its original cost would go this way again mainly for the complete reliability and versatility of the service.
furph
FollowupID: 676707

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 20:27

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 20:27
We use the NEC S2 version, we replaced the antenna ($1200) early last year and my partner broke it late last year by hitting it against a tree branch whilst 4x4ing (She went by her self with some friends), we sent it in to see if the could repair it...and they did, under warranty.

It is a very good system but most people think spending $2000 on a Satellite phone let alone $6000 to $8000.

We are like you and use it for work, we are looking at the Thuraya system at the moment for three of our service vehicles, mainly due to cost and the guys can use them away from the vehicles.

To bad our mobile phone are all on the NextG network and not Optus.

Hopefully they will live up to the reliability and coverage of the current Mobilesat system.

FollowupID: 676762

Reply By: Fifo - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:43

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:43
The INMARSAT system is very good. I used a TT 3060A all over the Simpson in June 2008 and never had a problem with ever getting a connection or a dropout. The voice quality is very good.

I also posted my experience in getting the Thrane & Thrane TT 3060A working after I bought it off Ebay. Take a look at Cheap Satellite Phone Option

Cheers,
Fifo
AnswerID: 408475

Sponsored Links