Tsunami warning warning

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 15:28
ThreadID: 76485 Views:2442 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just a note that if a Tsunami is about to arrive the warning sign is usually the water will quickly recede to well below the low tide mark.

Many people have been killed by seeing this and going out to catch stranded fish or look at what was underwater.

If you ever see a sudden drop in the level of the ocean anywhere

Head for high ground IMMEDIATELY and warn others as you go!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Boss - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:13

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:13
That would be a hard thing to judge up here with a 10 metre tidal range.

AnswerID: 406894

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:17

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:17
You know when there is a normal tide

This would be an abnormal one !

High then suddenly low. Nothing is perfect but if you were on Moerton island and saw this happen...... RUN !!!
FollowupID: 676699

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:17

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:17
You know when there is a normal tide

This would be an abnormal one !

High then suddenly low. Nothing is perfect but if you were on Moerton island and saw this happen...... RUN !!!
FollowupID: 676700

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:25

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 16:25
I would have thought the best way to tell if a Tsunami is coming is to watch the Sydneysiders. When they all line the beach at Manly, It's time to run away??

AnswerID: 406897

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:40

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:40
D200Dug,
I grew up by the sea, Northern NSW. I've known to be aware of how the ocean works since I was Seven.
Now, for those that haven't spent a great deal of time near the beach this is good advice,
What does blow me away is how people flock to the waters edge to see this and to ignore the warnings from the Surf Live Savers when a warning hais been broadcast.

It's just not be aware of the signs that a Tsunami maybe approaching, it's people don't know how to read the beach.
Rips for an example. It's all to common people getting caught in them.
It use to amaze me when sitting at a beach break for a good 1/2 hour of more watching were the rips were, yet out of town surfers would pull up, and just paddle out and wonder why they ended up a few mile down the beach. We use to use them to our advantage.
Anyway, some your just can't tell. Oh well.

AnswerID: 406959

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:11

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 22:11
Did you happen to see Bondi Rescue tonight ?

Amazing the stupidity of the general public, huge surf, dangerous conditions and the just go for a swim !

I was sitting at a beach watching a pretty large rip develop. A family came down and started swimming right in the middle of the rip area. A whole safe beach and they choose the most dangerous spot !

I had a quick word with one of the parents ( I would not call him an adult ) and was told to mind my own business and they could swim wherever they *&*&^%*!! wanted to.

I just left the beach as quickly as I could. I did not want to be there.
FollowupID: 676787

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 17:15

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 17:15
No I missed it, But I could imagine their frustration with some peoples attitude towards swimming at the beach. I have watched small segments of the show and it amazes me how stupid some people are.
A perfect EG of this was at South Ballina Beach not that long ago. There are two kids now without parents. Now people are calling for the beach to be patrolled. As if thats going to happen.
As a kid growing up in Ballina, At the age of 13, I made my first trip across the River at the bar, to go surfing at South Wall. We would hear that there was good waves over there so we would sit and watch the tide. We would then walk up river or out along the break walls and paddle out and across. We would end up on the other side not far from the Caravan Park. Spend most of the day over there, then watch the tide movement again, decide where to jump in & paddle back. For 10 odd years we did this with out an incident. Then some stupid tourists thought they would give it a go. They got swept out to sea and now it's illegal.
We use to use rips to our advantage to get out the back quicker, saved a hell of a lot of paddling.
This all might seem like a stupid thing to do, but by sitting and watching for a good 1/2 hour or more you got to see what the water/rips and the tide was doing.
In all the years of surfing, not once did I ever get into trouble, even in 14ft + waves at The Wreck, The Pass, Tallows, Lennox, Ballina North Wall.
But I sure did help pull a few stupid people out of the water over the years.
Anyway, As I said, Some ya just can't tell.

FollowupID: 677156

Sponsored Links