External Shower Set-up

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 12:55
ThreadID: 76543 Views:5713 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
hi Everyone, do you have any suggestions on how to create an outside shower for bush camping? maybe improvising a small bilge pump, or such and a basic plastic curtain. I thank you in advance for any ideas cheers Thomas QLD

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:12

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:12
We got a unit from a camping shop just last week. About $35- Primus brand.
Ciggy lighter plug. waterproof in-line switch, small bilge pump- to an adjustable shower head !!
Washed the dog with it over the weekend and it works fine.

AnswerID: 407228

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:22

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:22
Yep, that's the way to go. We run ours off a Projecta portable battery pack.

teege
FollowupID: 677101

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 15:39

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 15:39
As above, its a yep also.
Just get one of those Pop Up shower tents a plastic bucket add warm water and its done.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677135

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 17:58

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 17:58
Hi Dodger "just get one of those pop up shower tents" !! C'mon mate! But how do you "pop" it down & get it nice & round & back in the bag all neat & tidy again. LOL
I bought one once, & yes I had the instruction sheet & saw the "how to do" video on google etc. But, alas I had to admit defeat in the end & gave it to a mate of mine a few years ago. He still hasn't forgiven me for the trouble he has had with it. Any way goodonyer for mastering the technique. Cheers
FollowupID: 677163

Follow Up By: Tricky Dicky - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 18:39

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 18:39
just bought one of those 12 volt units on ebay today got it for $6.50 sounds like i got a good buy. We also have one of those shower, toilet tents some times we have trouble folding it back up to fit in the bag it takes a couple of goes, by the time we get it in the bag we usually need another shower haha
FollowupID: 677168

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 21:17

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 21:17
How to fold a shower tent.

FollowupID: 677198

Follow Up By: Member - Dave and Shaz - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:28

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:28
Oh my goodness, Lex, thank you for this video!!! We have one of these ensuite tents, great to pop up for a shower in all the lovely bush settings we have in Australia, but they are a damn nuisance to fold back down. Last time we tried (ie hubby tried) he gave up, got the thing in some sort of "round" shape and shoved the poor thing in the bag before it popped open again. I can't wait to show him this video!
FollowupID: 677475

Follow Up By: Member - GREENDOG - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 22:55

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 22:55
Shaz your not alone on this one,we brought one last year for our Innamincka trip,we would go to fold it up and i would pack the bleep s with it and as flat as it was put it under the camper mattress,job done LOL.cheers GREENDOG
FollowupID: 677498

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:33

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:33
Hi Thomas

There are several models available from camping stores for around $30 as Signman described.

We use one with the shower-head stuck on the side of the Troopy with its built-in suction cup. A modified tent pole lashed horizontally to the roof-rack extends to support a lightweight blue tarp hooked back to the roof-rack to form a triangular shower room. A foam mat stops mud. If it would stop raining I would take a photo for you!

A small plastic bucket accepts the pump. One kettle of cold water and one of hot gives a two-minute shower. No complexity in the engine compartment and no chance of scalding. You set the temperature in the bucket before starting the shower. Cheap and very effective.

A point to note: A small diameter bucket is best to avoid leaving too much warm water in the bucket when the pump sucks air at the end.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407230

Reply By: Steve63 - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:41

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:41
We just use one of the shower sets from the camping shop. Hang a bucket of warm water off of the tie rail on the ute, suction cap shower head off of Carry-me camper. Don't usually bother with any curtains. Wife has seen it all before and we don't usually camp close to anyone else. Have not been sprung yet.

Steve
AnswerID: 407231

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 14:17

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 14:17
As above, there are a range of cheap 12v submersible pump/shower kits from camping stores and Jaycar for around $20. One boiled billy in a 10L bucket, topped up with cold will give 2-3 good showers.
Also worth considering is a folding shower tent for about $60. Not so much for modesty, but to keep the wind out on cold windy nights/mornings. Will double up as your dunny tent. They pack flat and don't take up much space, but the downside is working out how to fold them up after use :-). Someone here on an earlier post had a video of how to do it; it's quite tricky!

AnswerID: 407241

Follow Up By: outsider - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 15:42

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 15:42
I second the folding shower tent, quick, easy, keeps the cold wind off you and nice and private for the missus. Don't have any trouble folding mine up but have had a few surprises unzipping its bag to have it unexpectedly unpack itself.

Had one bad experience of getting in to have a shower and discovering I was not alone - Bloody HUGE spider hiding behind one of the storage pockets.

use a bucket with about 8L of water + 1 hot kettle, I use a small 4 amp 12v lithium batter to run the shower and led light, that way it can be independently setup anywhere. A $3 6x4 tarp makes a decent floor.

store the shower unit, tarp, soap, shampoo etc in the bucket while traveling.
FollowupID: 677137

Reply By: bruce - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 15:42

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 15:42
If you use a plastic bin that you can stand in ...with a 12v shower as the others have stated, the water can recycle as you shower and you can shower for as long you like without wasting water , but it does get colder the longer you take...we have a popup tent to house the shower in...goes up in seconds , and can take ages to come down if you do not do it right....cheers
AnswerID: 407249

Reply By: briann532 - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 18:35

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 18:35
Thomas, as per others I reccommend the pop up tent, however the cheap showers tend not to last long. I went through about 1 every year or 2.
We were using it regularly, but I did find they weren't great quality.
In saying that, what can you expect for the price?

I now use a boat bilge pump $20 from BIAS and a bit of hose connected to a shower head. Wire a switch in line and tape it to the shower head.
This gives great control while lathering up etc.........

It works out about the same price as buying one of those bucket showers, but its just a lot more reliable and longer lasting.

Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 407263

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 19:48

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 19:48
hi
have read all theads and would like to help those who claim they can't fold down a popup change /shower room

after folding it to double in full length you then place your grip on each end of the wire frames hold both wires of the folded section and twist in opposite directions inwards and outwards with each hand while bringing your hands inwards over and under each other as you do this it will fold down into a circle right before your eyes
as it was before you popped it up
simple as a-b-c
FollowupID: 677176

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 19:07

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 19:07
I like this one Brian. Who or what is BIAS? I gather there are heaps of bilge pumps around and a water proof switch is easy to find. Any hints or shortcomings you can pass on would be good.

Phil
FollowupID: 677480

Follow Up By: briann532 - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 20:29

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 20:29
Bias is a boating store, but any boating place should have them.

No drawbacks I've come across so far. In fact I've made about 10 of them for other club members who love them.

Don't really need a waterproof switch as the water falls below the shower head. that said, a waterprrof switch will probably last longer.
I just use a standard house switch mechanism taped with electrical tape to the shower head. Never given a days grief and gets regular use.

Good luck with it all.
Brian
FollowupID: 677485

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 20:57

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 20:57
Thanks

I will stick to the waterproof switch. But I may try either selastic and/or cable ties instead of electrical tape.

Appreciate the advice.

Phil
FollowupID: 677486

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 20:08

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 20:08
The one that hasn't been mentioned is the weedsprayer, pump up, bottle.

Having said that, we've gone from

-The old canvas bag with a rose; too hard, has to be hung from a tree and filled at a significant height.

To

-Solar Showers, still have to be hung and are useless if the sun doesn't shine

To

-Coleman Hot Water Service. Bulky, fiddly to get the temp right and a lot of set up and pack up

To

-Boil the kettle and mix it with enough cold water in a bucket. Take the bucket into the shower/dunny tent and douse one's self with warm water, soap up and rinse with a flannel or pour cups of warm over to rinse. Simple, effective, no set up and little wasted space.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 407272

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 20:35

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 20:35
Oh Jim,....."soap up and rinse with a flannel or pour cups of warm over to rinse"

And you would compare that with a nice shower? Do you also wear a hair shirt? LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 677185

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:16

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:16
My setup looks like this, the green hose goes to a small tap, the white hose is the breather, I connect a 2m length of garden hose to the right side tap with a garden spray attached by the nylex clip on connectors. then just hang it over the rear door. IT DOES NOT GET USED IN WINTER.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407303

Reply By: Member - Dave and Shaz - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:39

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:39
We have the Oztrail ensuite tent, great buy and has many uses and tucks away in the back of the Troopy. We bought a Primus shower a few years back at a camping show and love love love it, especially when you are camping down in the Snowy Mountains area of NSW and it's cold and you can have a nice hot shower at night. Just connect the gas bottle and away you go. We have a 40ltr BLACK drum that we carry around with us, given to us by a mate. It stores our waders when we are travelling, but when we set up camp it gets filled with water in the morning, and sits out in the sun all day. Some places like the Snowies you need to do that to take the chill off the water, which saves gas by not having to heat it so much. But in warmer climates, the water will be at a perfect temperature by mid to late afternoon for a shower and you don't need gas to heat it at all. Solar hot water!
AnswerID: 407545

Sponsored Links