Prado Fuel Pump

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:35
ThreadID: 76560 Views:4960 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HJi all

Last week I posted about the problems we were having with the fuel supply for our diesel Prado. Members made a number of suggestions as to the probable cause of the problem and I'm sure that they'll be interested to know the actual cause.

After investigation by our auto lecky the decision was that the solenoid had ceased to work and the recommendation was to replace both solenoids (cost about $600 plus labour). After getting the go ahead the leckies checked a bit further and at last found the true cause of our difficulty. Fuel Gauge!!!!!! No one had thought to actually check how much fuel was in the sub-tank because the gauge showed about a quarter full.

It's amazing why your vehicle won't run just because there is no fuel in the tank - regardless of the gauge reading.

Rather redfaced but the problem has bee rectified and the vehicle is fully mobile.

Many thanks to those who contributed.

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:03

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:03
John,
Thanks for letting us know the result. Do I win a prize :-)))
"For the motor to "die", you would have to have one of the tanks empty."

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 407299

Follow Up By: westskip - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 20:09

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 20:09
Hi Phil

Yes. You can definitely have a jelly bean!!!

Many thanks again.

John
FollowupID: 677356

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 09:45

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 09:45
A couple of years ago my wife and kids were in our Prado on the way up to the Sunshine Coast for the day. They only got about 20km from home when the wife rang me to say that she was driving along the highway when the car lost all power and there was a big puff of smoke. She could not get it restarted. After a long wait for the RACQ to turn up with a tilt tray (they wont send a mechanic to check the vehicle beside the highway) she and the car were dropped off outside the nearest Toyota dealer. She then had to wait another while for the RACQ mechanic to turn up. He looked over the vehicle and announced that it had blown the turbo. The wife then went into Toyota to get them to have a look at the vehicle. The Toyota mechanic came back 2 minutes later saying all was fixed. Turns out one of the kids, playing the car before leaving home, had flicked the subtank switch, the wife had not noticed and simply ran out of fuel.

Needless to say the wife was pretty cranky at both the kids and the RACQ (and herself for not noticing).

AnswerID: 407344

Reply By: bbuzz - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 16:23

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 16:23
Hi Joihn & helen,
That must be why they got rid of the sub tank switch in the 120 prado's. Mine just pumps automatically across. (Diesel).
Bill
AnswerID: 407401

Reply By: StormyKnight - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 11:25

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 11:25
Easy enough to do on the 90s!

The low fuel light only works on the main tank & the indicator that you running on the sub is on the sub gauge so if you continue to look at the main you may miss that you actually running on the sub.

Reasonably happy ending though :)
AnswerID: 407500

Sponsored Links