2007 Triton actuator

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:55
ThreadID: 76562 Views:7402 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Both Vehicles that were bogged over the weekend , mine and the Station Triton had Diffs checked today on our ramp, my front was suspicious because the breather wqas pulled off so oil was changed, both diffs on the Triton were ok, but when the bash plate was removed we (me and the owner) found a small tube had at some been broken of object as shown, it cant be re fitted as the plastic has broken,
My question is ,, what does it do, we might think it has something to do with the Triton Diff Lock, there's a switch on the dash with R/D on it, I would take that as being Rear Diff

Image Could Not Be Found
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:49

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:49
Hi Doug
Not too familiar with the Triton but the gizmo hanging out the side of the diff sure looks like some type of actuator with a diaphragm in it. Does it have a compressor which would be needed if it was air operated or possibly a vacuum operation fed from the brake booster system. I guess the easiest way to find out is start it up and operate the diff lock and see if that line sucks or blows. It may also be a breather line to vent the opposite side of the diaphragm.

Good luck

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 407308

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:56

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:56
Yes, I reackon your on the money about it being vacuum operated, and a good idea to see if it sucks......trouble is the small connector has been broken off and the owner has refitted the bashed bash plate,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677219

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:57

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:57
It also looks like it's got a switch with 2 wires hanging out of the other end to the hoses, maybe to operate a light on the dash to warn when the diff lock is engaged

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 677220

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 00:09

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 00:09
Once again your right, your comment made me remember , he did show me that .
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677224

Reply By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:17

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:17
G'day Doug
It's the actuator for the front hubs. Very common to be broken. thats the reason a lot of owners have had custom bash plates made and installed

Stupid place to put it. Older Tritons and Pajeros had them on the R/H inner guard, Don't know why they moved it? About $170.00

Steve
AnswerID: 407320

Reply By: koshari - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 21:01

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 21:01
hi doug, how did you go replacing it,

$170 sounds a little steep for the part IHMO.

i just bashed mine up however the plastic caps ok but the pressed metal housing half is all bent and the plastic cap popped out.

i popped the rubber bellows off and it seems there is a connecting rod joined to another shaft that enters the diff housing, this is connected by a steel pin,

i wonder if you can just replace the outer part by removing the pin and 2 bolts where it attaches to the diff housing.

cheers. and yes it is a crappy place to mount on the bottom of the diff housing.

AnswerID: 409829

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:17
koshari
I didn't , it's not mine, it belongs to the station and I think he said when it goes into the dealer for service he will have it fixed then.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679827

Follow Up By: koshar1 - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:57

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:57
cheers doug,

i actually managed to repair mine with a little panel beating to that pressed metal hemisphere to restore the roundness, the plastic top is held on by 6 crimps in the base hemisphere. simply bending these back is enough to remove the top plastic hemisphere.

the actuator is easily removed by unscrewing the 2 mounting bolts , labeling the 2 vacuum hoses and removing from each port and peeling back the rubber bellows and sliding the sprung sleeve along the shaft to expose the little pin which connects the actuator shaft to the free-wheel disengage shaft.

after removing i carefully reset the diaphram in the housing and relocated the cap and pressed the crimps back on making sure to keep the shaft at the correct alignment to reconnect to the slot in the free-wheel disengage shaft.

i also smeared loctite gasket goo on the surfaces of the diaphram where it will be sandwiched between the cap and housing to aid in sealing.

also holding the actuator in a vice by gripping it by the shaft with the diaphragm spring fully compressed makes the job a lot easier.

if the plastic cap is cracked/broken loctite/polyfiller can be used to repair it.

if the plastic port has broken off you could screw/glue a piece small tubing in the hole to reconnect the tube.

incidentally these actuators are now $270.00

so i have ordered a replacement one to keep as a spare and drawn up a little bash plate that mounts to the existing 4 bolts for the back protective plate to protect it from now on.

i hope this can be of some assistance to the next poor soul that whacks one up,

its prolly a good idea to add a bit more protection for anyone else who takes a ML triton to areas where there are a lot of wheel ruts.

FollowupID: 679895

Sponsored Links