FIREARMS

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:51
ThreadID: 7659 Views:2221 Replies:16 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All

Just wondering does anyone carry firearms when travelling north.
Do they shoot any animals for food e.c.t.
it would be handy to put injured animals down with.

Just a thought.

Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:27

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:27
Nope.
AnswerID: 32982

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:42

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:42
NO._____________________________________________

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:53

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 13:53
Benna,

Have a look at posts 3057 and 1258. Or just type Firearms in the Keyword search box at the top of the Forum Index page.

Personally - I have never and cannot ever see the need for firearms for recreational outback travelling.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 32993

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:00

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:00
If you do, don't forget that you need a licence to own one and as far as I'm aware it is technically illegal to carry them into national parks. Also I believe different states have different requirements so it's best to check with the cops before heading off. I believe that in some states you're supposed to declare them at the first cop station you come across.
I don't imagine too many people shoot animals for food - you can get some pretty nasty diseases from wild critters. Best to stick with store bought food.
You can put down a wounded animal with a lump of wood, axe etc just as easily.
AnswerID: 32994

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 18:38

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 18:38
Last trip up north , i came across a large cow on the side of the road , obviousley hit by a truck . Busted hip and leg , couldnt stand and was going nowhere . This was about 9-30 to 10 am . How many cars and trucks went passed the poor animal in that time and left it suffering ? I for one couldnt . I brough out the rifel and dispached it so that it wouldnt suffer anymore . There is no way you can do this with a lump of wood or an axe on such a large animal .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 23598

Follow Up By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:44

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:44
Just wondering, since its up. I dont mind the idea of shooting your dinner, and have contemplated to obtain a license for a rifle for just that purpose. Is there a general concensus that your odd roo is a sick fellow you dont want to eat?

Moosehunting season is on back home, nothing like moose on the table! Dont see why the same couldnt apply to roos. Please enlighten me if I am misguided.

Johttp://www.pad.no/
A viking in a desert :-)
FollowupID: 23615

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:56

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:56
Jo,

Kangaroo tastes great, but be aware that it's illegal to hunt them without a specific permit.

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 23616

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:07

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:07
Can also have issues with worms in wild roos.
FollowupID: 23619

Follow Up By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:09

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:09
Thats ok, a permit can always be obtained. And yes, Kangaroo is good! I picked up a tail in Finke a few weeks ago, made a good birthday dinner! But I was thinking more of the commment on disesases in wild critters, something I have missed here?

FollowupID: 23620

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:08

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:08
All of the Kangaroo harvested for sale for human consumption has been shot wild. Kangaroo certainly isns't farmed here, and the Kangaroo for sale certainly is a premium product with an appropriately high price tag. I understand there are methods to inspect game for parasites such as worms etc before consumtion - any experts on that matter around here? I'd be interested to hear about it.
FollowupID: 23629

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:11

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:11
Hey Jo - you leave them mooses alone.
FollowupID: 23667

Follow Up By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 14:39

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 14:39
Heh, I just cought on to the double meaning, but the Moose hunting season has acctually just opened! But not to worry, my hunting permit has expired, and I only had a license for small game anyways, but I dont own any weapons anymore, and I am here, and not back home. But it realy is good meat!

Id be surprised if australian wildlife was any sicker than the rest of the world. Its always fairly obvious which are the sick ones, and you will know if there are worms I reckon.

FollowupID: 23676

Follow Up By: Luke - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 14:46

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 14:46
Well, yes - I've never had any adverse effects from eating Kangaroo, feral Goat, or Feral pigs here.

All of them very yummy :-)

....But if anyone has any info to share on how to inspect for worms/etc it would be interesting.
FollowupID: 23677

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:03

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:03
Nasty diseases from wild game?
geez I aint going to eat another feral bunny that we shoot. (I'll get them from my inlaw ....he grows em er fattens them up)

some people!!!!
Moose, Ive been eating wild rabbit, kangaroo and goat for years!!
And no doubt a lot of others in here ...has anyone caught any exotic or nasty diseases or have been ill from eating an unknown diseased animal. (I reckon some may have been ill from not ensuring their game was hygenicaly prepared ) Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 23823

Follow Up By: Moose - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 13:11

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 13:11
Hey Wherethehellawi
I too have eated rabbit, roo and goat. Duck and other feathered critters too. As you say if they are not correctly prepared one could be sorry. I guess I should have added that bit in my post.
I am not an anti gun nut - own a few myself actually and use them for regular hunting trips (but not after moose!).
FollowupID: 23892

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:18

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:18
Australia isn't America . . . . . . . . . yet.
AnswerID: 32996

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 20:02

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 20:02
....and we're not far from them.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 24044

Reply By: Darryn - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:20

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:20
Benna this is a question best asked at the SSAA website, www.ssaa.org.au.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 33003

Reply By: TonyT - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:13

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:13
Interesting question- I ride long-distance (motorcycle) and am a member with a USA mob- their website asked same question- well, you wouln't believe the arsenals that some of those guys owned- very matter of fact about it and many were carrying concealed weapons on their long rides- I suppose I just thought 'what a brilliant place Oz really is, without that carry-on'- our society is clearly moving away from the individual posession and use of firearms and looking around that can't be a bad thing overall- (yes, was a SSAA member and have fired just about everything u can get propellant into). Just a thought.
AnswerID: 33038

Reply By: Goran - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:19

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:19
Yes i do. I don't want to get bogged down in useless debates about firearms issues. We all have right to have our own oppinion on the subject.
AnswerID: 33063

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:27

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:27
A debate is only useless when it throws up an opinion different to your own.

Provided any person who carries firearms (weapons that were invented to kill things easily and dispassionately) and uses them in accordance with the laws of the State in which they travel, I don't have a problem. That's democracy. Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 23690

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:36

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:36
As I understand it, in WA, unless you have a special permit, it is illegal to shoot anywhere on public land, and you need a property-owner's permission to shoot on private land.
Gerry
AnswerID: 33066

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:21

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:21
I am a licenced shooter and own a registered firearm. I don't take it out bush as there is no need to. The rifle sits in the cupboard and I clean it ever so often. I dream of shooting the neighbours cats when they come and crap in my garden but the local constable lives two doors up the street from me so I dare not. :-(

In most states it is illegal to put down injured animals whether wild or domestic. If you do kill an injured animal the landowner has the right to sue you for depatching his livestock without permission. Yes, crazy but true. You need to have a transit permit through most states for firearms.

Carry a bushtucker book with you on your travels so if you have the misfortune to run out of tucker you can try some of the delicious native fruits and berries.

Cheers

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 33072

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 18:52

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 18:52
Bushtucker Fruits???
Quondongs (not sure if they're native?) are not a very nice Willie....unless one knows how to prepare them like the stuff one gets at hawker and the Copely bakery
mmm nice, especially the sauceWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 23821

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:50

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:50
Oh ye of little faith, Richard.............there are heaps of other tucker. Just look around you. I do not know many but try anything once. Hey Witchetty Grubs are good yummmmmmm Quandong(Bush peach) off the tree can be a bit bitter....but it is healthy and you must eat them when they are ripe. Carry a bush tucker book with you next time and LEAVE YOUR ICECREAM AT HOME!!!!! hahahahahaha.............
Cheers
WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 23827

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:48

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:48
leave the ice cream at home???? not on your life...my team mates will skin me alive. I treasure my life a bit more than you willem!!
and besides thats why i made my fridge/freezer; so we could have cray for entree and icecream and pudding for desertWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 23845

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:04

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:04
I knew it....you are a softie. All this talk of driving around at night getting cold and doing it tough blah blah blah is just bravado. Soft riding, airconditioned, state of the art 4by's with plush lined carpet and soft CD music playing whilst drinking champagne, munching on cray and gobbling icecream is not a true blue thing to do. I had better take you on a bush trip Richard!!!!! In the G60!!!
Cheers
Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23848

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:19

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:19
Me a softie!!!
Soft riding, airconditioned, state of the art 4by's with plush lined carpet and deafening CD rockmusic playing whilst drinking coopers, munching on cray, gobbling icecream, shooting goats from the 4by without having to walk and trek for hours for them is my type of life!!!!!
Getting on the back of a tray top all night 8pm-5am is a bit rough dont ya think?Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 23851

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:24

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:24
If I can sit in a commodore Willem the G60 would be a pleasure!
Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 23852

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:51

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:51
I think I'll come with you instead and I will bring a slab of Coopers. How about that. Must tell you someday about our night shoots in Africa.
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23854

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 20:05

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 20:05
And if a property owner's (non-station country) livestock strays across a road and you hit it, you can sue them.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 24045

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:53

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:53
With all the rules and regs seems like a lotta trouble just to get a feed. As for dispatching critically injured wildlife a wack behind the ear with a jack handle is sufficient. If it's for personl safety you must be a crim or something, in Australia nice people never get threatened.

Leave the firearms at home under lock and key - let the animals live as they let you live - free.
Enjoy the bush, I guess that's why you go there.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 33146

Follow Up By: thomo - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:59

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:59
(Nice people never get threatend) Didnt know all the people that got shot at port aurthur were bad people.
FollowupID: 23733

Reply By: shaggy - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:53

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:53
Just came back from Outback. Carried a 12 gauge B/A everywhere, just in case. It is illegal to shoot on crown land and private property in all states except victoria. In Victoria you can shoot in State Forests and some National Parks during deer season, but must carry a rifle only which is greater than .270 calibre. You can only hunt/shoot with landowners permission, otherwise you can be charged with poaching and other serious offences. Hunting for food in the Outback is a waste of time, just buy your food. In the outback, personal protection is the only reason I would carry a firearm. Sleeping in some areas where there is a known crime problem seems that much safer when you have a firearm in your tent.
This has been my reason ever since the Falconio case, and who knows, that killer may still be out there.
The best thing to do is make sure you have your licence with you at all times, as well as your firearm registration papers, and keep the damned thing out of sight. I.e. do not go walkabout with the gun sitting on your dashboard, if you do not want to draw the attention of the constabulary. Or having to report that you have had your firearm stolen, because then you will have to explain where it was stored etc. Ammo should be locked away with a padlock in your toolbox or any strong container (not your glovebox), so that if you are stopped and searched, it will be a lot easier to explain that you are just passing etc... Ideally, do not shoot your weapon, as it draws attention from many kilometers away. Farmers have enough trouble with drunks shooting cattle and water tanks, warning signs, that you just may end up having to explain yourself to a very angry farmer.
If police stop you, you will have to tell them what you are carrying and where its stored. So it is best to keep it buried down low in your car and keep ammo locked away not near the gun. Police can search you car without your permisson, so it is best to tell them the truth.
Rangers cannot search your car, unless you have been seen shooting or they have a very good reason. In any case, they will probably call the police, so again, best not to shoot or even show your weapon to anyone.
Keep the gun unloaded at all times, for your own safety, not to mention getting busted for it.
So the best advice is only take it out at night if you're camping out of town, not in a national park or any prohibited area, and only if you feel threatened or in danger. And just keep it in your tent for safetys sake. Not to show off to ANYONE!
Hope this helps...
AnswerID: 33147

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:53

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:53
Shaggy,
I agree with 99% what you have said above. But sleeping with a gun in your tent is dangerous. It would have to be loaded and you could hurt yourself trying to protect yourself........from what?

I have travelled around the whole of this country for 35 years and have never ever had an 'experience' where I would have had the need for a firearm. Although, before uniform gun licencing, I did carry my old .22 everywhere with me. Shot the odd feral cat ...one in a National Park!

There will always be a percentage of incidents, some of which will feature in the national press, in the outback. This does not make the outback unsafe. All you need to do is to be careful. Camp safely and keep a watchful eye on whats around you.
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23737

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 18:44

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 18:44
Shaggy,
Having a firearm for personal protection is not a justifible reason to be allowed to own one.
All others reasons are void if this is just one of your reasons for wanting a firearm!!!!!

Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 23820

Follow Up By: shaggy - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:28

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:28
No, my reason primary reason is to hunt feral animals, and deer. I am fully allowed to do this by law, and I don't care too much about the beuracratic issues.
Now if my life or safety are threatened in any way, I will pick up the gun and defend myself, regardless of what the law states. It is a basic principle of better them than me. Now if I am charged over this, it is a different matter. It would be a difficult situation, but hopefully common sense would prevail (with the judicial system). Not that long ago, a burglar was shot by a high ranking member of SSAA (sporting shooters), whilst he was at home. He was charged and acquited on the grounds of self defence. But he got a slap on the wrist for using a firearm to defend himself. Presumably it is better to use a cricket bat or something.
On another issue, having a firearm to defend yourself as the sole reason is not accepted by the law as a "ligitimate reason" to own a firearm. But for some stupid reason which defies me, the police are entitled to defend themselves with a firearm. Is this saying that their life and personal safety are worth more than mine? I dont have a lot of time for police officers, as most of them have an ego and have to prove themselves as something special. In reality, the majority of police officers aren't very educated or intelligent, yet these are the people that you have to rely on to tell the truth and act fairly. No wonder there is so much trouble with crooked cops being caught out.
Anyway, I would defend myself with whatever first comes to hand, and if I am out in the bush cooking dinner, and someone or something threatens my safety, then the last thing I will worry about is legality. Think about it, many things are illegal, yet are still done daily by millions of people. Speeding, talking on mobile phone whilst driving, and personally, these things pose a much greater threat to public safety, than someone out in the bush minding their own business.
Secondly, if I dont carry a firearm, I most certainly carry a knife and being an archer from way back, either a bow or crossbow. All of the above are also capable of injuring someone, but are not deemed worthy of registration.
So dont be anti guns, because guns don't kill people, people kill people.
FollowupID: 23837

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:41

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:41
Good grief Shaggy, Paranoia comes to mind.

You are drawing a long bow...especially with reference to the police.

There is an old saying that if you think hard enough and worry too much about something it WILL happen to you.

Anyway, take care and keep the saftey catch on

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23842

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:03

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:03
Shaggy,
research the archives and you will see i am not anti gun

I just dont think that the reason of "personal protection" is a justifable reason for owning having or owning a firearm, no matter what. If this is just one of your reasons albeit wanting them for hunting then I dont think you should have any at all!!
Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 23847

Follow Up By: shaggy - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:18

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:18
Whatver, but the fact remains. You dont know me, so basing your judgement on whether I should have any firearms on the couple of postings that I have made, amounts to being ignorant.
Secondly, if you had a gun nearby, and someone happened to attack your wife or kids, you're telling me that you would instead go for the jack handle or axe? What a joke.
FollowupID: 23905

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:44

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:44
Shaggy, Why do you say I am ignorant.
I am of the belief that owning firearms for self protection is not a justifiable reason to own them .....This was your excuse for having them. My belief is not ignorance.

I dont have my firearms nearby, Do you?. Mine are locked away.
So I guess I would have to resort to using some other form of assistance as in the case you describe, getting my gun out of the safe and then retrieving ammo from locked metal enclosure ...would I have time??? Are yours ready for action???
FollowupID: 24067

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:28

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:28
It seems to me that if you carry a firearm for personal protection and actually have to use it, it would just be something else that a would be thief, robber, mongrel type could grab off you and use it against you. I know that the Peter Falconio case put the wind up a lot of people in the outback but Australia is really much bigger than that one case depicts. Theres still heaps pf places where you don't need to even lock your car, (some people in this lil town even leave the keys in the car downt he street) so its hardly likely that you'll need to defend yourself with a shooter.

As for knocking off a poor injured animal, I agree the jack handle or the axe will do the trick, even though its a sickening task. A cow is a different thing, much easier to find the closest house if you can and tell someone rather then breaking out the gun and dispatching it yourself. It would be a bastard cattleman who would have you up for shooting a beast in such a state, I wouldnt worry too much about that.

We do live in Oz not the US, lets all play our part to keep it Oz and not tread the path towards US style existence.

Now I'll get down off my bike and get my pump!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 33164

Reply By: Robert - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:29

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:29
It’s a very easy thing to say in theory 'just hit an injured animal with a jack handle or the axe to put it out of it’s suffering'.
But in reality it can be a far more difficult (dangerous) thing to do. I wonder if those saying this, have actually experienced trying to approach and dispatch a seriously wounded but still very active large Kangaroo. They don’t just simply lay quiet and allow you to walk right up to them!
AnswerID: 33226

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:50

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:50
A bloke I know tried to despatch of a big fella roo once on the side of the road. All he could think of was to use his Hi lift Jack. Well..........he missed the roo with the first blow and broke his leg when the jack came back at him. Just goes to show................
Cheers
WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 23846

Reply By: sean - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:07

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:07
Its illegal to carry firearms for protection (unless you have a specific license). It is illegal to own one, carry one, or use one for self protection. So I would say best not to do it.

Its the crims that have them and its the crims that use them and thats not going to change. And all the prohibition in the world will not stop them from getting them. Just look at PNG where the ownership of firemarms is illegal for the ordinary man but guns are everywhere.

I grew up with firearms and guns in the hands of people who do not appreciate their potential scare me. But in the end it is SUPPOSED to be a free democracy.

Just remember, there are alot of people who want to ban your fourbie.

Sean
AnswerID: 33265

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 14:33

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 14:33
If you store your firearms correctly, having it for personal protection is a wank you would never be able to get it out in time, the personal protection arguement gives us sporting shooters a bad rap in the press.

Ben,

buy your food, use any blunt object out of tool box with a bit of weight for animal dispatch.If you hit something to large to dispatch with wheel brace etc, you will be to worried about the occupants of the vehicle and crying over the damage to your vehicle to be worried about animal welfare If you want to hunt up north organise before you go, check with the coppers in each state as to what you obligations are, and have a good time. But don't carry it on the off chance you will get to blamm animals that run past.
AnswerID: 34035

Sponsored Links