Grampians, surrounding and Mt Buangor 4wd treks

Recently moved to Stawell VIC and am looking for day drives to see the sights around. Have explored the grampians years ago, but would like some local knowledge of what is a good family drive and what would be a good challenge for days when I am by myself. We have a 98 locked and lifted Pajero. Any advice or suggestions appreciated...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ljsroslyn - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:47

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 18:47
Hi Alf
Mt Buangor has some good 4WD tracks - some harder than others. If you look up parks victoria site for Mt Buangor they have a reasonable map with the tracks on it. Great camping also at Middle Creek - a great base for a day out 4WDing

Enjoy it - it is one of our favourite spots to visit under 2 hrs from home
AnswerID: 407546

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:42

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:42
Alf, The Pyrenees is perhaps the nicest and best easy access for you. There are some lovely tracks there that are variable and Forestry people have some maps in PDF form. If you were a member, you could access the maps that are also on the Members pages in electronic form.

Drive in to Glenpatrick and just drop your tyre pressures and go past the camp ground up North Glenpatrick Track, or before you get there up No Where Creek Road then Spring Creek Road. From Avoca, there are some great tracks with a big area map in the Avoca Tourist info centre with an EO sticker on it. I am aware that some have done damage on silly options, but there are better options.

I have never needed lockers just reduced tyre pressures to about 20psi front, 24psi rear for easy living. Lovely drives but some rocky shelves to negotiate. It will take a few visits to get to know the place.

Tracks to check out; not for faint hearted
Old Bluff Track
Old King Tree Track
Old Tiger Cat Track
North Glenpatrick Track
AnswerID: 407596

Sponsored Links