ARB Snatch Strap problems

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 14:26
ThreadID: 7661 Views:3491 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I read on another post that there have been some problems recognised by ARB and their customers with the quality of their snatch straps. I bought one in march 2002 and have not used it. What is the problem? Would the one that I bought be one of the defective ones and has there been a recall. Any info would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Matt - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:35

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 15:35
I too have bought an ARB strap or two over the time and had absolutely no issues, You must clean them out to get rid of the abrasive particles which in turn really damage the strap. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 33005

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 16:17

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 16:17
Mines 18mths old, and pulled out a dozen or so Yotas, and been used as demo on driver training a few times.

I'll buy another ARB one without a problem.
AnswerID: 33009

Reply By: Rhubarb - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 16:36

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 16:36
The problems were reported in 4WD Monthly, that the ARB straps were breaking 1 - 2 (maybe 3) tonnes less than there rating at the stiching for the loops.

ARB said it was due to a bad batch from there supplier and are now changing the method of how the loops are stitched.

They are not recalling straps but said something about replacing failed straps. I can't remember exactly - I'm sure some else here will correct me.

I would hazard a guess that the 2002 straps should be fine - as they hinted that it was a more recent (mid 2003?) batch of straps.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Rhu
AnswerID: 33012

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 17:19

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 17:19
Perfectly correct, the problem wasn't the strap itself but rather the failure of the stitching. It still results in a failure but ARB have acknowledged the bad batch and extended warranties on all straps considerably. If it fails within two years I think it is then they will replace it. Ring ARB if you have any querries.The warranty was extended to straps already purchesed as well.
AnswerID: 33015

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:45

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:45
ARB have placed a brochure insert in the Oct 2003 issue of 4wd monthly, Titled an Apology from ARB explaining the situation in simple detail.
It makes an interesting read.

They have also extended effective immediatly the warranty on all ARB straps in the market to 5 years from date of purchase.
This is retrospective covering straps already purchased.

So floyd your strap now has a warranty period until March 2007 as long as you have the proof of purchase.

Regards
John
AnswerID: 33042

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 00:29

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 00:29
ARB got caught out on this one and their offer of an extended warranty stinks of meanness. They are putting lives at risk. I saw the article and they responded with a pathetic apology and warranty.
What good is a warranty to some person stuck out in the Simpson in a sand bog and the snatch strap gives way during an attempted rescue. Or to be caught in a flooding creek with a strap that you can't rely on.

The straps tested were faulty by ARB's own admission, the straps failed to do what they were specified to do.

ARB should do nothing less than a total recall of all snath straps distributed in the faulty batch and replace them with new - immediately.

Further, they should recall all straps sold in the last 12 months for inspection and test as necessary.

Come on ARB, do the right thing by the consumers.
Good on 4WD Monthly for bringing this problem to notice and printing.
AnswerID: 33080

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:05

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:05
...and what if the towing vehicle end of the strap gives way under full load and flies back through the windsceen of the towed vehicle, injuring driver/passengers.

Not good enough, ARB!
FollowupID: 23640

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:47

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 13:47
Agree with both of you completely. What's the point in having an extended warranty when you're going to be too scared to use the damn thing in case it breaks and causes damage, injury or death. If I owned one that I suspected I'd be going back to the ARB outlet and demanding a replacement. I'm surprised that ARB aren't offering to replace all suspect straps as a matter or good faith. Surely the cost of that is going to be a lot less than the cost of a law suit when someone gets seriously hurt. ARB's attitude in this case stinks.
FollowupID: 23673

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:40

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 17:40
If someone was injured I doubt if ARB would get away with this.

They have admitted that the product is "not fit for purpose". They have an obligation to check and or test the strap to proove that it meets stitching requirements designed for the strap.

As has been said before, giving a extended warranty is no good when vehicle recovery is relying on such strap.

Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 23692

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:25

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:25
Floyd,

Can't respond to the ARB strap issue because I know nothing about it...But, IMHO it is wise to carry a 2nd strap. Straps do break from time to time and having a spare gives you a bit of peace of mind. Also, there are times when you may need to join 2 straps together. Of course, if you do all your offroading with a club or in convoy with others a 2nd strap isn't so necessary.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 33108

Sponsored Links