leaking cv boots

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:59
ThreadID: 76632 Views:2696 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me why my CV boots leak grease when the hubs are locked in......4WD can be engaged or not..........only from larger CV boot,close to hub..........They do not leak when hubs are free wheeling........Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crfan - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:32

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:32
hi Sfletch they the axles only spin when you are in four wheel drive or the hubs are locked
AnswerID: 407628

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:37

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:37
Where exactly do they leak?
They shouldn't leak under any circumstances.
If leaking under the end of the boot where the clamps are then the clamps need to be removed the mating surfaces cleaned and new clamps fitted to seal properly.
If they leak at any point on the boot due to cracks, splits or cuts then replace them ASAP or you will be replacing the whole shaft shortly.
If the boot is at the point where it is splitting from age then replacement is necessary asap.
If the boot has a split/cut from an impact from a stick or whatever then they can be temporarily repaired by cleaning the affected area well with acetone to remove all traces of grease and then using Sikaflex to seal the cut. Leave overnight to allow it to cure before driving again. I've done this with success a few times especially when travelling as to disassemble the shafts and replace the boots on the side of the road is nigh on impossible.
I usually put a few pumps of moly grease into the boot before doing temporary repairs to replace that lost as lack of grease will wreck the joint very quickly.
There are split boots available for emergency repairs but they are not a long time solution.
As to why the boots only leak when rotating is that the grease is forced out by centrifugal force.
AnswerID: 407629

Follow Up By: sfletch - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:58

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:58
Thanks..i figure that the seal is upset somehow ..maybe due to mud or impact.. cannot find any cracks or sign of damage..not good at mechanics so will have to find somewhere to get it done , but as per usual a mechanic will want to replace them....they have not done alot of work....vehicle done 128,000 k.....mostly h/way,bit of dirt road/mud,no hard core.
FollowupID: 677541

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 13:01

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 13:01
Sadly, one only has to get a large stick caught up in the suspension and the boot can get damaged, regardless of your mileage. I learnt this the hard way many years ago.
If you get to it soon enough, no damage will be done to the CV joints by grit, etc, and it'll be the cost of just the boots and labour only. If there are no clicking noises from the CVs on full lock, you might be lucky.

FollowupID: 677553

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 15:33

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 15:33
hi sfletch
unfornately distance travelled has little to do with it in a lot of cases
it will depend though on what has come into contact with the boot i had only done a small distance 7000km's a few years ago with my navara and a piece of fence wire speared through one boot and i had to replace it
sharp sticks as mentioned quiet often flick up and can do it
can happen anytime just one of the many pitfalls of 4wding
all the best
FollowupID: 677965

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 15:35

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 15:35
hi that should read unfortunately
FollowupID: 677967

Reply By: johntoyo - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 14:12

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 14:12
Hi sfletch. I would suspect you have some small splits in the boot at the hub ends which flex open when on lock. When the hubs are unlocked and not in 4WD the half shafts don't turn. I suspect the turning shaft is agitating the grease and extruding it.

Jack up the wheel and on full lock turn the wheel and look for a split or poor clamping of the boot.

I am sure others will have further suggestions etc.
AnswerID: 407654

Sponsored Links