Hail Damage

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:10
ThreadID: 76678 Views:4928 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I live in Melbourne and last Saturday experienced the massive storm reported in the media.
Our beloved 2005 Pajero suffered a battering. Hailstones as big as cricket balls. It has 20 or so dents on the bonnet and about the same on the roof.
My reason for telling you all my misfortune is regarding cars being written-off for insurance. Does anyone know what they may do about my claim? Is it likely to be repaired or written off. I don't know how difficult/easy it is to repair hail damage.

Welcome any comments. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:48

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:48
Have seen hail dents taken out by the no paint dent removers.

Did the job ok as long as the dent doesnt have sharp edges.

As far as it being it written off surely the insurance assessor is the ONLY one to ask, wouldnt you think.

Other than thta a crystal ball may be the way to go.

Cheers
AnswerID: 407888

Follow Up By: garytee - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:37

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:37
Obviously that is what I will be doing ehen it is possible to get throught o the Insurance Company. Impossible at the moment.
I was SIMPLY asking so as to be pre-warned.
FollowupID: 677804

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:56

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:56
Really depends on the value of the car, if you have agreed or market value and how much it will cost to get fixed. From what I have read the general rule of thumb is if the repair bill is more than 60%- 75% of the payout value then they will write it off.
AnswerID: 407891

Reply By: Member - peter K (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:59

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:59
As already stated if the dent are shallow can be pulled out but if deep and sharp edged they may have to cut the roof of and replace it and the bonnet is there any damage to the top of the doors if so you are getting in to write off territory Pjk
AnswerID: 407892

Reply By: Member - peter K (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:00

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:00
As already stated if the dent are shallow can be pulled out but if deep and sharp edged they may have to cut the roof of and replace it and the bonnet is there any damage to the top of the doors if so you are getting in to write off territory Pjk
AnswerID: 407893

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:05

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:05
Late 89 had a Jackaroo , 2.6 ? [ ? shows how old we are getting] auto box, petrol and gas ,, loved it , just before xmas 89,severe hailstorm hit northern suburbs of Brisbane , , bonnet ended up having dimples all over like a golf ball and the roof the same ,just bigger dimples ; Insurance came to the party no problems , new bonnet and paint , roof became a running battle , insurance and panel beater both decreed 'paintless dent repair' to save a $ or 3 ,,, never ever will I or mine aggree to that style of fix on a large surface ever again, job turned out a nightmare in execution and finished result , after the 3rd attempt at getting a reasonable result , the whole turret was cut off and replaced. The vehicle just seemed to be "not the same" so was sold off soon after.
AnswerID: 407895

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:47

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:47
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Garytee, our RAV4 took just 2 dents but other relatives suffered much worse.

Your car is likely to be repaired as its essentially cosmetic.

I wasn't to happy , then I read the morning paper about FTG Toyota who had 230 cars out in the open and 180 were hit to the tune of 8 million dollars.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407905

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:53

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:53
Robin that would be one time you would say Oh What A Feeling, it was so unfortunate for everyone.
FollowupID: 677807

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 19:33

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 19:33
Gday Robin
You would know that a golf ball goes further and faster with dimples than without dimples. So leave the dents in the car, it should go further and faster as well.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677832

Follow Up By: Matt M - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 00:40

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 00:40
Yep Mythbusters even proved this..ugly as sin though and only an advantage over 80km/h!
FollowupID: 677886

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 19:19

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 19:19
Yep saw them,and the Holden dealer,Suzuki, Missan and the other smaller yards really copped it. thankfully the cruiser was in the garage(has been for 3 months) my Hiace suffered a broken screen and dings in the roof, the hugs n kisses adventra has at a guess 10k worth of damage to it, bonnet,roof,guards,doors,quarters,trims and wind deflectors and 1 taillight for starters. the little suzuki lianas? i think they were looked like they had come from the factory with golf ball dimple finishes. many of the houses heading up into the hills with windows facing westish had them broken. our house only suffered a few hundred dollars of laserlight damage to the barby area and the garage, few other minor things like garden lights-smashed to bits!! quite strange. i went to bunnings to get some laselight to repair the garage and there would have been 20 odd people scrounging through that section looking for something to use for repairing the storm damage, tarps and drop sheets were running ut the door.never seen anything like that in 40 odd years,some of the hails stones were as big as my clenched fist, the others were golf ball ish size. hopefully i will never see it again.
AnswerID: 407923

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 19:22

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 19:22
also windscreens o flaretty were charging $595 for a screen for an AU which would normally cost $200. theives they are. apparently they have now closed their call centre till thursday so they can clear the backlog according to my mate who is a screen fitter.
FollowupID: 677830

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:16

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:16
G'day garytee. A few years ago we had a huge hailstorm go through Wollongong. One repair company (Bears Auto Hospital) brought people out from the US with some sort of vacuum device that sucked the dents out. Guy working with us has a Subaru Liberty wagon that was done in about 2 hours. He still has the vehicle and you cannot pick where the dents were. It is also a dark green color so it shows faults more easily. Regards, Bob.
AnswerID: 407928

Reply By: john&thejayco - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:25

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:25
Garytee,
A few years back we were caught in a hail storm near scone,N.S.W on the way to Glenbawn dam. we had a lot of damage like yourself,including a windscreen that looked like we'd driven through a golf practice range.$6,500 later we were back on the road, they had managed to pull the dent's in the sides and roof and had replaced the bonnet and given the old GQ a new paint job.Thank goodness for insurance.the hailstones we faced were nothing like cricket balls so the damage to your Pajero is probably more severe, but it's amazing what they can fix.Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 407930

Sponsored Links