Mt Davies Track

Hi all, we would appreciate some information rearding the traverse of the Mt Davies track from fellow travellers who have done it. We hear it is rather overgrown and almost obscure in some areas, but has anyone actually managed to travel through??
Thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:44

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:44
Not quite sure which Mt Davies you are refering to ?

If it is the one in SA between Dreslys bore and Olympic Dam then you could be in for a rough ride as I don't think the track.. which is some distance from Mt Davies... toward Olympic Dam has been used in many years.

The track from dreslys bore down and around to near Glendambo is in some use but... washed out, overgrown and not much fun.

If that isnt the one you are talking about then I will shup quietly :)

peterll
AnswerID: 408066

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:53

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:53
Coenens,

Are you talking of the Mt Davies Road that stretches from Anne’s Corner on the Anne Beadell and then north -west into the Aboriginal Lands, Wingellina (Surveyor Generals Corner) and onto the Great Central between Docker and Warburton.

Permits are near impossible for this track. The south eastern sections are largely overgrown and best not tackled without a good duco protector. Once into the Community roads, the conditions improve but it is all restricted area.

I believe that some of the local indigenous co-operatives conduct tag along type tours in the area. A search of the relevant community and lands websites should turn this information up.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408068

Follow Up By: Member - Coenens N (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 15:09

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 15:09
Yes, that would be the one!! I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for the info though and I will check those web sites.
FollowupID: 677962

Follow Up By: Member - gujimbo - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 17:22

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 17:22
I believe that trying to obtain a permit to travel this track is very difficult,apart from permits any group must be accompanied by an "elder" from Wartaru or surrounding communities?.

Our group obtained the permits and we had the travel arrangements organised for
a traditional owner to accompany us but it all fell through due to family related issues with the TO.

Regards Jim
FollowupID: 677990

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:14

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:14
Gaday Coenenes. Access to APY lands which includes the little used Mt Davies Track is heavily regulated & you pretty much need to either know someone who lives there or be working in the Community to get a permit. On their application form it states > Please Note: No Transit Permits will be issued for tourists/travellers wishing to pass through any part of the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands.
Permit details can be found here>
APY Lands Permit
Application Form Can be found here.

We found the track it'self is not particually challenging. The dunes are relatively small & with barely any use in the past years, are hard packed. Up to 20% of the track is overgrown with much of it requiring detours. It is one of the worst for scratches I've been on.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 408113

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:33

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:33
Commentary regarding permits is accurate. The 200km from Anne's Corner to short of Iltjur has no track at all and the dunes are between 10-15m high with lots of low scrub to make it interesting

The rest of the Mt Davies Road as it is correctly called was put in by Len Beadell in 1956-57 and not much has happened since

Access permits are als requried for Surveyor General's Corner

We're in there in May and September this year with two tours

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 408117

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:58

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:58
I'm going there in April.

There has been quite a bit written so try a search on 'Mt Davies'.

Bob
AnswerID: 408135

Sponsored Links