Camping on the ocean beach at The Coorong

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 18:32
ThreadID: 76749 Views:4739 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.

Has anyone used the individual bush camp sites on the ocean beach of the Coorong National Park recently?

I've had a look at The Tattler (and Google Earth), but was not able to get much of the detail about these sites. We'll be out that way the week after Easter, and was curious about how many of these sites are located west of Tea Tree Crossing. Also, what are these sites like? Do they offer much/any protection from the wind, is there shade, or are they just little sand-pits stuck in behind the first line of dunes.

Any recent information much appreciated.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:06

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:06
There are little area's put aside for camping just behind the sand dunes with plenty of wind protection but no shade. On the eastern side of the sand hills there are little places to camp with shade and wind brakes. some nice little spots down there.

cheers Shane.
AnswerID: 408297

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:12

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:12
Thanks Shane

That's helpful - we'll head up from Tea Tree crossing and see what we find.

George_M

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678325

Reply By: ljsroslyn - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 08:14

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 08:14
Hi George

We were in the Coorong area over xmas/new year and we decided to camp at Gemini Downs more for the ease of getting water than anything else. We checked out a lot of the camping areas in the National Park. All of the spots in amongst the sand dunes looked good and a lot were empty when we were there. It was very hot and they offer little shade and some degree of shelter from the wind. I guess it is just a matter of checking them out as you go and finding one you like. Not sure if you are towing but you might have to check some on foot as some of the areas are pretty tight.

Can't help you with The Tattler - didn't see that. We were advised by owners of Gemini Downs not to camp at 42 Mile Crossing - the hoons like that area apparently

Hope that helps
AnswerID: 408333

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:15

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:15
Thanks ljs - it's always helpful to know which areas are frequented by the local hoons!

We're not towing anything, so the spots amongst the sand dunes sound good for this time of year when it probably is not as hot as the middle of summer.

Thanks.

George_M

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678326

Reply By: Steve63 - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:23

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:23
On the beach side there are basically two types of areas. One is just a pull off so you are not on the track. This type has little shade and no protection form the strong winds that can come off the ocean. Caution should be used if camping in these as the waves can run right up to the dunes in some circumstances. The others are between the 1st and second dunes. They have some protection from the wind but not much shade. There are some largish bushes at best. We have been in one of these during a storm (wind gusts > 100km/hr). The camper canvas was cracking like a whip and the ute was rocking but no damage was sustained. We were not going anywhere as the tide was high and the waves were running up the entrance to the camp area. If you were on the beach you would have been swimming.

Steve
AnswerID: 408359

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:17

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:17
Thanks for that, Steve.

I think that we'll avoid camping on the beachfront , and head for the sites behind the first line of dunes- there's a bit of variability in the tides during the week that we're planning to visit.

George-M

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678327

Sponsored Links