Travelling Around Australia with young kids

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:30
ThreadID: 76757 Views:8249 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all
I am packing up the Patrol towing a Jayco Hawk Outback and setting off with the wife and 2 kids, 1 and 3. I would love to hear about others that have done similar.
We are planning to go for around 12 months and have no real plan except to not be up north for the wet season and not to be down south for winter.
Would like to hear about how much people spent per week, must sees, Regrets, experiences, anything.
Also would love to hear from people thinking of doing the same!!!
Cheers
Garth
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:49

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:49
Half your luck..just go..mate, you will find others similar on your travels..
AnswerID: 408304

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:13
Can't help you with how much you will spend but it will be well spent.
Good on you Haleys.
AnswerID: 408306

Reply By: Spana - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:46

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:46
Hey there,
We are planing on doing the same, with near the same as yourself. Have an 18 month old and a 3 year old, Cruiser and a goldstream. We are also taking our 2 dogs with us. Not sure how hard or easy it's going to be with this arangement, but figure we'll work it out as it goes on.
We hope to head off from Perth in July/August, in which case we'll head up to our north, then make our way over to the tip, and down again for summer.
We realise we won't be doing long driving times, for either the kids sake, or the dogs, but really don't intend to rush things.
Anything and everything we see will be a bonus, so if our dogs or kids limit us, so be it, just looking forward to the ride!!!
Troy
AnswerID: 408311

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 23:35

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 23:35
Hi Garth, Firstly good on you, you will have a great time and the kids will love it. We have recently just finished 3 yrs on the road with a 6 & 8 yr old. The idea of being flexible is good cause things change when you are on the road. How much you spend will depend on how you travel. Free camp or caravan park? How long you stay in each place and how far you drive each day? The best we had was free camping, catching fish to eat, not really driving anywhere so about $50 a week to live. The worst????? $450 a week for caravan park. or paying 236.9 c/l for fuel.
It will depend on if you pay to go to parks, cruises, tourist things, or do it on the cheap.
Our budget would range between $200 a week to $1500 a week. When free camping in the bush your costs are down very low. When in the tourist areas ie.. coral bay w.a, gold coast qld, major cities your cost will be higher if you do the tourist things.
We have a website with some stats and info if you want to have a look here:
http://www.kidsandall.webs.com/
Must see, everything lol. Seriously take your time and see what you can properly.
Regrets??? we really regret stopping. We actually don't have any regrets. We had a fantastic time and loved being on the road. Our girls have some amazing memories and our family is much closer for it.
Our favourites were: Cape york Qld, Andamooka S.A., Port Lincoln S.A., Esperance W.A., Coral Bay W.A., Gibb River rd W.A., Darwin NT.
Hope this helps and now I have itchy feet again.

Josh
AnswerID: 408317

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 22:42

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 22:42
Hi Guys

We are heading off December, I noticed you sold your house, we are going to sell ours, but I just wanted to ask if you regretted it now you are back?

We have 2 boys 4 and 10, do you think that your kids missed out on anything from not being at school, by this I mean did it seem strange for them to go to school when they had been around this great country for nearly 3 years?

Also, did you find it easy to get work?

Thank you Karen
FollowupID: 680304

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:55

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:55
Hi Karen.
We have no regrets from selling the house. We have now settled somewhere different and it is great to start fresh without ties to somewhere else or a past life. We loved the freedom of not being tied down to any committments. Some other people we met on the road had to end their trip early as tennants had not paid rent for weeks and they were now struggling with repayments.
I don't believe our girls missed out on anything, quite the opposite. There life skills are way above every child in there classes. There are some things they struggled with a little to start with but have settled in really well now. On the last day of term I they went to the pool swimming for the day. When they got home I asked how was it. "OK" they replied. "Just ok" I said "Most kids love going to the pool for the day" My oldest aged 8 said " it was ok but not as good as swimming in the Kimmberlies" My youngest aged 6 yells out "and there weren't even any rocks to jump off" No I don't think they missed out a on anything. My wife home schooled which took about 2 hrs a days.
I found a few odd jobs as we travelled from doing stock takes, doing house renos to landscaping. I eventually got a job with a company as a sales rep and was able to work while we travelled.
Our girls struggle with being in a house and not travelling still. They often ask when can we go again. I tell them hopefully not to long.

Josh
FollowupID: 680517

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:58

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 13:58
Hi Garth,

Good on You!!! We are travelling oz (well stopped in Bundy looking for work at the moment) - make sure you visit Tassie, The Kimberly's and Uluru. We have done it the wrong way round - ie Tassie in Autmun/Winter and Kununurra/Broome in summer. Our only regrets are not having enough $$$$ - you just need to pick and choose what you are going to do/see. We also free camped a lot - make sure you purchase Camps 5 - the shop here at EO has them for sale, in each town we went straight to the info centre found out what there was to do and see and also what was free, some places (like up the middle) you will pay a lot for fuel.

Take a look at our website/blogs : http://www.travelingoz.webs.com

Cheers
Caz
AnswerID: 408381

Follow Up By: Karen & Geoff - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 14:52

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 14:52
Hey Caz. We actually head off early next week, and are bound for Longreach for a couple of months. Cant wait to get up there. If you guys happen to pass through Longreach, be sure to look us up. All our contact details are on our website www.aslongasittakes.webs.com

Keep in touch, I keep looking at your website, and Josh, about time you started to follow us as well with that new fishing boat of yours...................

Karen

FollowupID: 678339

Reply By: Mr Z - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 20:13
I'm considering a similar trip, although we're still 2-3 years off.

I'm just curious how you find the Hawk for overnight stops, whilst in transit?
I had pretty much decided on a Swan, however after hearing a few peoples reports on set up times, I am thinking twice.

Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 408454

Follow Up By: Marny - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 22:38

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 22:38
I can have my 2007 swan up in a basic state ( no flys or annex) for overnight stays in 15 (or 30 if the wife helps:) i actually find putting it down takes longer. Cheers marn
FollowupID: 678427

Follow Up By: Haleys - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:21

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:21
I agree, you can have it set up in a basic state in about 15mins, when we do big trips though there is that much stuff jammed in it takes a while to unpack and repack, packing up does take a bit longer.
My wife doesnt like the whole set up and pack up for 1 nighters so we plan to stop more like 3 nights at a time.
I have a Fiamma wind out awning which is great and also I sold my annex and bought the Fiamma privacy room, (which is walls for the awning) I can set that up fairly quickly by myself.
Cheers
Garth
FollowupID: 678481

Sponsored Links