Getting a correct oil reading?, 100s 4.7L V8petrol?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 19:00
ThreadID: 76787 Views:2686 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I seem to have a problem with my dipstick ( no funny comments please...Lol)

The oil dosen't want to cling to it especially when warm, Have never had this problem with other motors, and just wondering if anyone has experienced same??

Cheers Axle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 19:13

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 19:13
hi axle
funny you mention that problem
i had the same thing occur to the dipstick on my 1997 mazda bravo diesel several years ago i dont know what caused it but i tryed every thing to eradicate it
tryed putting it on the electric wire buffer
heated it until red hot and dipped it in water on 3 separate occasions
polished it with emery paper
cleaned it with acetone and degreaser
but the problem remained
so i finshed up buying a new one and there has been no futher problems and i still dont know why the original wouldnt retain the oil on it when dipped??????
good luck but it can be a pain in the a----
AnswerID: 408439

Reply By: Wherehegon - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 00:25

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 00:25
Are you putting it back in the correct way ?? Sounds silly but with my wifes car you can put the dipstick back in either way BUT with the slight curve that is in her dipstick if you push back in the wrong way the oil is wiped off the dipstick as you pull it back out. Try turning it around and putting it back in again then pull back out again and see if that makes a difference (thats if you can do it with the cruiser dipstick) Regards Steve
AnswerID: 408494

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:33

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:33
Your right Steve!, Have taken no notice of the fact that the dipsticik has engine oil",printed across the top !, it must face the right way.....LOL', As you mention it wipes off, making it hard to read, Blob on the bottom , drops here and there up the stick,

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 678478

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:09

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:09
Why dip the oil when its hot.

The correct time to check the oil is first thing in the morning when its cold and has been draining down all night.

When we worked on buses thats what we had to do and if you came in and did it at lunchime would get a totally different reading.

Yes the way some sticks go in can make a difference and some have an arrow that points to the front on the handle.

AnswerID: 408526

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 18:39

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 18:39
hi graham
on my mazda the d/stick would go in either way but made no difference and hot or cold oil still would'nt register
and yes iv'e always practised as you do checking before starting in the mornings for acurate accessment
the new replacement d/stick eliminated the problem
FollowupID: 678524

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 20:00

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 20:00
Yes you do get a variation of dipsticks in various situations dont you

LOL
FollowupID: 678532

Sponsored Links