Cue Caravan Park

Submitted: Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 00:21
ThreadID: 76795 Views:8505 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all, has anyone stayed at the Cue Caravan Park in WA, and if so where in Cue is it and whats it like for an overnighter.

Thanks in advance

Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 00:43

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 00:43
Mick,
Who would want to stay in Cue overnight?
A much better idea is to stay for a couple of days and have a good look round.
Lots to see.
Check out Cue in "Places" on this site for some good info.

Disco.
AnswerID: 408497

Follow Up By: mick - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 14:58

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 14:58
Gidday Disco,

Mate I'd love to stay in each of these places along the way for a few days each, however we have time restraints so I'll leave it for the next one. I was just tossing up whether to stay at the caravan park or rough it up the road at Lake Nallan.

Thanks for your reply,

Regards

Mick
FollowupID: 678504

Reply By: greybeard - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:09

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:09
we stayed in cue overnight about 12 months ago.
trip report

not the hilton, but we thought it was a typical country caravan park. you can't miss it, it's on the north west side of town.
AnswerID: 408499

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:20

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:20
Hi Mick

I have not stayed in Cue, but there is a report from 2007 with directions to find park (in the main street) on Badger's:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

We stayed at Nallan Station several years ago; turn off 11 kms north of Cue - "Cow" mailbox. It was very quaint and rural; we quite enjoyed the experience.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408500

Follow Up By: mick - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:00

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:00
Hi Motherhen,

Yeh, we are tossing up between staying in town or at Nallan, whats the "Cow"letterbox, I've not stayed there before.

Mick
FollowupID: 678505

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:08

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:08
Hi Mick

Their mailbox on the highway is made to look like a cow. That is what got our attention.

The station camp bathroom was rather primitive and still with the cow theme - i can't post photos as they are not digital. It was seven years ago. We were the only campers there at the time.

We would choose this over Cue because of it being quiet and off the highway, and the showers sound pretty awful at the Cue CP from the report on Badger's.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678507

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:31

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:31
That report in Badgers is from me. I believe the amenities block has been replaced since I was there. The main problem was the surface flaking off the shower recesses getting amongst the rubber mat in the bottom.

What I found out afterwards is that there were another couple of showers at the back of the cabins pictured below in another reply.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 678583

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:34

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:34
Hi Peter

Have you send Badger an email pointing this out? As yours is the only report and something has changed, it should be noted.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678584

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:44

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:44
I have no definite proof of the new block, only a third hand report. That's why I said I only believe it has been replaced. What I should have added to my post was for the next person to stay there - please contribute to Badger, not only reporting on this site but others you have stayed at.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 678585

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:59

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:59
It's a bit rugged, but if you want to visit Walg Rock, the second biggest Rock in Aus. Or Old Bell, the abandoned mining town, it's about your only option.

We stayed there for two nights last July and it was reasonable accommodation.

It's a good trip up from Perth to Port Headland going through Mt Magnet, Meekatharra etc.

Cue Caravan park

AnswerID: 408538

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 18:25

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 18:25
We didn't stop there but I did take a photo of the "onsite cabins".
I think they were old miners huts.
Nice town with a lot of history.
M.Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 408596

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:00

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:00
G'day Mick ~ and G'day to all the other forum members interested in this post.

Mick, the Cue caravan park is a reasonable place to " overnight " at as it has all the basic requirements and it is very easily accessed if you are towing a camper or caravan, it is very close to the G.N.Highway, so if you are a light sleeper, you will be counting road trains all night, the managers are nice people though.

Mount Magnet, before Cue is the same, as is the caravan park at Meekatharra, all basic needs are met, if staying overnight or for a couple of days and don't believe all the bull you may hear about the various towns and there inhabitants.

Nallan Station stay is about 12 kms out of Cue on the right as you head North, I called in once, but it must have been " Beer O clock " because no one was bothered about taking a few dollars off me ~ at the time anyway.

I drive straight past the place now ~ every time.

Lake Nallan ~ is north of the " Cow " on the right side of the highway ~ sadly the camping area at the lake has been over free camped and either the Shire or Nallan Station management have seen it necessary to grade several deep drainage type channels across the track that used to allow access to the North/East of the lake, I guess the reason behind the move to restrict access is because some people make pigs of themselves in every way possible, which in turn stuffs things up for the folk who actually do the right thing ~ when free camping in the bush.

I have only tonight returned home to Newman from Broome, I am saddened by the state of most of the " Officially Sign Posted " 24 hour stay areas along the G.N.Highway ~ they are going to be a real shamozzel come tourist travel time, if there isn't a Cyclone soon to blow all the garbage and crap away !!
AnswerID: 408634

Follow Up By: mick - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:53

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:53
Giidday Joe,

After plenty of thought we have decided to stay at Lake Nallan. Have they closed the "Free Camping" there or have they just made it unaccessable to the N/Eside of the Lake. Is it still a good place to stay?

Have you stayed at "Mt Robinson", 100kms north of Newman, if so whats that like for an overnighter.

Thanks

Mick
FollowupID: 678576

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:19

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:19
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundG'day Mick

Lake Nallan is still ok for an overnighter, but as stated previously the N/East end of the free camping area has been closed off ~ this is the well treed in and shady area, all the open ground is still accessible, the lake is dry.

Mount Robinson is still a reasonable place to camp for the night, the dunny is rank ~ so you can just guess where the campers are not trying very hard to hide their "Bush Bannanas" at least some are marked with a half a yard of crap paper, the scrub is a fair walk away from the day use area.

If time is not your enemy, drive further up towards the Munjina Roadhouse, but turn off the highway to the right, into the " Albert Tognallini " rest area, good road surface into the rest area, tables and shade areas ~ no dunnies.

Spectacular views and a very nice place to stay, day or night.

There were four caravanners parked up there last night, one had a generator running, but I made more noise with the Coach when I drove in for a look see !!

The view of the Hamersley Ranges and the local scenery is fantastic from near the summit of Mt Robinson @ 1157 metres. The track is difficult four wheel drive in places with severe washouts just to make it interesting ~ no I didn't take the 48 seater coach up track either, just in case you thought I might have.

FollowupID: 678579

Follow Up By: mick - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 15:18

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 15:18
Thanks Joe,

After Mt Robinson, we will be heading into Karijini for a few days, so we will not be driving past the other two places you suggested.

Thanks anyway, any tips for Karijini?

Mick
FollowupID: 678602

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 19:26

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 19:26
G'day Mick

Karijini is very user friendly and it would be near impossible to go wrong getting around to the various must see sites.

Call in to the visitor centre, gather your information brochures and maps from the people there, don't be shy to ask questions about the park and it's indigenous history, take the time to wander through the displays in the visitor centre.

Be very mindful of the fact that you and your family can be seriously compromised when you are deep in the gorge country, many adventurers have come undone buy an injury or hyperthermia as the gorge waters can be exeptionally cold and ambient and ground temperatures can exceed 50 degrees C. Most slips or falls result in serious injury and occasionally death.

Don't leave gear ~ boots clothes etc out side your enclosed camp, because the Dingo population in and around the various camp grounds just love stinky boots and socks, these Dingos are not at all afraid of humans, so if you have children warn them about the dangers of the "Skinny Sneaky Red Dog"

The closest fuel, food and normal services are at Tom Price so you need to be self sufficient for your stay, potable water is available at designated points within the park.

Drive with windows up and aircon on if it's hot and dusty, as there are Asbestos fibres floating in the air, try and stay back out of the dust trail if you are following a vehicle, not so when it's damp weather wise.

There is no aid post at or in the park, ambulance and rescue are mustered from Tom Price and Newman, so it can be a very long painful wait for professional help. Just be mindful and careful of your surroundings and actions.

All roads within the park apart from the main entry and Fortescue Falls access are unsealed and can become very corrugated, the rocky sections need to be tackled carefully as softer compound road tyres are easily damaged.

I make no recommendations as to which type or brand of tyre to use, as they all get spiked ~ sometime !!

Above all enjoy your stay in what is truely a very remarkable place, deep in the ancient heart of the Pilbara.

" They can take the man out of the Pilbara but they will never take the Pilbara out of the man "

FollowupID: 678639

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 16:27

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 16:27
Hi Joe,

Long time no hear. Is that your coach or are you driving it for someone ? Can you get that up the side of your house !

I am taking off for Kalgoorlie with the van next week. Maybe I'll find a few nuggets.

Willie.
FollowupID: 682580

Sponsored Links