Track Ferry

Gday,

I have been busy at work, had friends drop by today and said they heard the Birdsville Track Ferry is running? I thought the water was still awhile away from being down that far?

Can anyone give me an update....

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:22

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:22
Hi Mr Blaze
Have you ever seen that Classic Australian Movie "The Castle". Tell your friends that classic phrase

"They must be Dreamin"

When I spoke to our friends just the other week who manage Etadunna Station, which has the flood detour going through their property, including the ferry, Patsy said that it is going to take a lot of water to fill Lake Hope first, then make its way towards the Birdsville Track. With the travel rate of the current flow of water and if it keeps up, it would be around 8 weeks to get that far south.

I personally hope that it does go over, as I have a quick 4 day weekend booked for early May to go up, have a ferry ride and take lots of photos, including a kayak paddle across the flooded track.

Take care and see you in a few weeks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408635

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:30

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:30
Hi Glen

I should have also mentioned that if you go to the following site, it gives you the latest information, and as of yesterday there is still no mention of the ferry running.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/area1.asp

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678573

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:54

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 09:54
Just have given Patsy a phone call. Still no change, but not running. They are in shorts today, with clear sky and no rain, for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678577

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:23

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:23
Hi Steven, Teraa has a source who says the flood front is 100km upstream of the ferry. A huge flood peak is moving thru Innamincka but will slow down to the 3km/day on the floodplain. IMO it will give everything a push along and it's inevitable the ferry will need to run by early April. It ran for 7 months in 1990 so even if it's half that time it will be in the peak travelling season and maybe even affect travellers going to the Birdsville races in Sept... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 678580

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 13:24

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 13:24
Hi Warrie
Patsy said that the whole countryside is very wet with very large areas under water. They are not able to get out to the back parts of Etadunna as it is just too wet and boggy. If and when the Cooper does go over, I think that the area will be inundated in tourists, just to have a ferry ride and see the water over the track, as I know I will. Had a chap in at work this morning from Broken Hill and he said from Broken Hill down to below Terowie, the whole countryside is as green as the middle of winter. There could be great wild flowers out by Easter.

It will be a race to who puts up the first pictures here on EO of the Ferry ride and the Cooper over the Birdsville Track.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678590

Follow Up By: Teraa - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 14:24

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 14:24
See with the outer of properties they are carrying loads of water still that has been my point all along we always look from above, this equation needs to include the local rain know one will know how much local rain has already filled Lake Hope ? Like Gouyders Lagoon was filled from local rain but everyone watches the river at Birdsville because there is data from some areas and none from others. What we know is there has been rainfalls that have bettered some 100 year old records so that says to me we won't know until it happens. If you talk to SA transport you get the 'Castle' effect they are a bit dreamie about the ferry.
I hate to predict rain so early but weather reports suggest a moonsoon low due in from WA end of March early April, we wait until we have mud on our boots. Some locals estimate a larger flood out in the Warburton district than last year due to the fact we are already so wet.
FollowupID: 678595

Sponsored Links