Leaking Prado Roof Rack

Hi,
(2003 Prado 120 series) Just had the roof repaired, took off the Toyota rack supports and the internal lining and found that the holes have been leaking inside. Not a lot but constant dripping. Hence the rust around the mounting hardware inside.
It seems that a) the bolts were not put on tightly b) the O-rings sealing the bolt hole went hard and c) there seems to be a plate missing from under the outside support plate and its associated O-ring.
My Toyota racks go across the roof (3).
Has anyone else found the rack mounts to be a problem? There seems to be a design problem as the water collects around the support bar in the roof channel. Not to mention the grass, sand, mud and other vegie bits!

Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - desray (WA) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 15:01

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 15:01
my Prado also leaked , I put a big blob of silastic in the bolt hole and surround then put the rack on , bolts into the silastic .Not leaking now.
AnswerID: 408665

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 22:14

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 22:14
This was very common with 03 and 04 prados with the roof rails, AND TOYOTA know about it, I will try and find out wether there was a recall, I doubt it though as it would not be classed dangerous, most leaked through the roof light but by then it had stained the roof liner. The only proper fix is to remove roof rails totally and apply sealant around the holes then put back. Let me find out for you and I will let you know. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 408722

Sponsored Links