BFG Tyres A/T KO

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:06
ThreadID: 7684 Views:2702 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We went on a long stretch of Forrest track last weekend and it was pouring otuside. Mate's (Cruiser 80series) 10 month old BFG 275/70 R16 rear tyre got stab by a piece of stone chip. He took it to the tyre shop and they say that the Steel cord or the likes has been ripped and cannot be repaired. Any suggestions on what to do next? Do they give any warranty or is it a whole new one?

Mine are all BFGs less then 3 months old. I found the A/T traps stone chips in the grooves quite badly. Is it a faulty design? Or something common to A/\T tyres-being a semi aggressive tyre.

Wil

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:14

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:14
Sell the remaining 4 and buy Coopers or MTR's.

BFG AT's the KO's dont have a good rep around the place
AnswerID: 33159

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:15

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:15
Bruce,
What does the KO bit mean? Knock Out......... Thanks in anticipationKeep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 23744

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:16

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:16
Theres KO and KM, in the AT/MT's

just new addons ;)
FollowupID: 23745

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:32
Thanks TrucksterKeep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 23747

Follow Up By: charlie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:45

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:45
KO means knock out cause in these they added more side lugs to clear the mud.
FollowupID: 23844

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:40

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:40
Wil,
My Cooper S/Ts also trap stones pretty bad, I guess it is inevitable with such wide grooves between the treads on AT's. Suffered a stone fracture on a rear tyre recently but it was in in the tread so easy to repair with a plug. I doubt it will be covered by warranty as this sort of damage can occur on any tyre. Cheers
AnswerID: 33167

Reply By: Phil P - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:48

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:48
Hi Wil,

I just got back from a month of travelling some pretty awful tracks (7,400 klm) on a Melb to Central Australia trip. I ran my tyre pressure's at 28psi and had NO problems with my BFG A/T KO's. I witnessed many other traveller's that were not so fortunate.

Try sending an email/feedback to BFGoodrich Tyres via their web site. I have found them to be quite responsive in the past.

Good Luck
Phil P

AnswerID: 33176

Follow Up By: Member - Roger - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 16:52

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 16:52
Hi Phil,

You hit the nail right on the head, high tyre pressures will bugger any tyre. I am on my third set of BFG's and tothis date have no rael complaints about them. I only run 30psi when unladen and 40psi whilst towing a van however when the going gets rough I always air down to 30psi when towing and when unladen 25psi. I know that this will cause controversy but it has worked for me on two diferent vehicles.
RegardsDodg
FollowupID: 23812

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:06

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:06
Got to agree with Phil P about tyre pressures. Keep them low (around 25psi) , as soon as you're off the bitumen and you'll prevent punctures. I've had one puncture over the past 5 years, and on club trips, we usually get no punctures in convoys of 6-12 vehicles going across deserts.

Your BFG is cactus - need another tyre - BFG won't warranty that sort of damage.

Phil G
AnswerID: 33187

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:19

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:19
Wil
There are a rare breed of tyre vulcanisers around that can repair damage to a steel belt, and there are special patches that can be vulcanised into place that will replicate the strenght of the belt - dont ask me the details - but Im driving around on one that has been repaired in this way. The only one I know of is in South East Qld he mostly repairs big earthmoving tyres from the mines in central Qld and does the odd passenger tyre - and he assures me there are a few others like him in other states - but not as many now as public liability is a boogey man for them as- if somebody has an accident on a repaired tyre the repairers are history. My friends and I no longer have to throw away damaged $250 tyres.

I suggest you do some serious research in your area re these guys who repair earthmoving tyres.
Kezza
AnswerID: 33189

Reply By: Alan H - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:35

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:35
I had a BFG A/T with side wall damage repaired through Ian Diffen @ Wangara in Perth. Someone in Ossie Park vulcanises them and it's reckoned they exceed the original walls for toughness. Cost $45 about 3 years ago.
Would all depend of course on the size of the damage in the wall whether it was possible or not.
AnswerID: 33228

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 13:59

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 13:59
Wil
Tyre shop will invariably tell you the tyre is stuffed so they can sell you a new one. As some others have said there are places that repair tyres - even those with gaping great holes in the sidewall. Was on a club trip recently when one fella punctured a tyre in the sidewall. I would have thought it was stuffed looking at the size of the hole and the location but he had it repaired and uses it as a spare. Repairer told him not to put it on the front but that on rear it would be OK. If you're a Brisbanite I can find out the name of the repairer and let you know.
AnswerID: 33236

Reply By: Wil - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 17:10
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your brilliant reply. We have learnt and will try you suggestions.

Four x forever..

Wil
AnswerID: 33255

Reply By: DODO(bendigo) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:17

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:17
gday will.
ive noticed a few responses about getting the side wall repaired.
ive read that some tyre places will just tell you its stuffed to sell you a new one.
i work in tyres and theres a few problems with some of the responses.
(a)if someone comes in with a hole in the side wall i will tell them its stuffed not because i want to sell a new tyre its because it is stuffed.
(b)some tyre places will repairr the side wall for $45 with a radial patch of course they will they dont make $45 out of a new tyre very easy money.
(c)its illegal in all states to repair any side wall.
(d)its only the side wall you know with no strenth and they only carry all the weight of the car.
(d)ill only use it as a spare.what if your 1000ks from home would you trust it.some people say just put it on the rear but have you seen what happens when a rear tyre blows out while towing 1500kg camper ect.
one of the best things as said was to let the presures down of road.
i carry staun tyre deflaters set at 18 psi.when i get of the bituman be it sand /rock/dirt/mud/snow i put them on 18psi might be to much in some situations or to little in some but i havnt had any problems with 18psi.different people will use different presures.
throw that tyre to the bleep e house and buy a new one and we live and learn.
cheers mateRaphus cucullatus
AnswerID: 33266

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:03

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:03
I agree - good points here. I was down to my last spare (BFG AT)in the Flinders the other week, and it happened to be a slightly different size, repaired etc, that I had as a spare for the camper trailer. Still had 150 km to go to a repair shop. At the time of putting it under the trailer, it all seemed sensible, economical etc, and to date I had had no trouble with those tyres, but two failures in 250 km and I was wishing I had put a new/good spare under there.
I did what Truckster is suggesting you do - give the other 4 the flick and buy MT/Rs or similar. The sidewalls on those BFGs are very thin..... Good luck with it.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 23872

Sponsored Links