you can all tell me where to go ...please :)

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:52
ThreadID: 76840 Views:3090 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we are just crossing back to Melbourne on the Spirit after a wonderfull 4 weeks on Tassie and have to decide the best path to take to get across to perth we have been to Geelong and followed the GOR to as far as Port Cambell and would like to try a new path from there we only want to spend a week or two before hitting the Nulla-plains and I know Whyalla is on the trip so should I keep to the coast so I can do the in land stuff from SYD another time as I really think the west coast and Darwin will take a few months and we only have till Sept to do this trip,so please you have permission to tell me where to go LOL!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:16

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:16
Hi John,

The Grampians NP is roughly on your route. Its a beautiful place. Its neither on the coast nor the usual inland route through Mildura so could be worthwhile.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408755

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:30

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:30
Yep....I second that. The Grampians are very beautiful. You could include a visit to the Giant Koala at Dadswell Bridge too.

As for Whyalla.... (I was born and bred there), I think it's worth the extra miles rather than taking the Iron Knob turn off just out of Port Augusta. However, I think a trip from Whyalla, down the coast through Cowell, Tumby Bay and onto Port Lincoln should be considered.Port Lincoln is a beautiful town.

Depending on time available.Point Lowly near Whyalla is also very nice. Old lighthouse, a pristine beach (between the lighthouse and the Santos jetty) and pretty good fishing (to the left of the lighthouse - carefull of the Rip there).

Failing that, come to Adelaide, live my life and I'll take over from where you left off....
Have fun..!!!!
Fab.
FollowupID: 678702

Reply By: bomnnat - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:12

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:12
Hi John, I agree with the others but maybe you could consider the Gawler Ranges also you wont be dissapointed.
AnswerID: 408763

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:19

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:19
Hi John

We returned to WA via Ballarat and the Grampians (having been via the Great Ocean Road on the way to Melbourne). We crossed into SA near Bordertown and visited the Naracoorte caves. Quite a few more zig zags including the northern Flinders and Arkaroola as we took four weeks to return home. We had toured around the Eyre Peninsular and Gawler Ranges the previous year.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408766

Reply By: outback epicurean - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 13:38

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 13:38
Grampians good. Another place often left off are the state and regional parks to the east of Ararat. Mt Langi Ghiran, Buangor, Mt Cole will be very nice right now as there ahs been rain so will be nice and green, not dustly as is usually this time fo the year. These parks are much quieter than the Grampians and ther is a good chance you will have the entire area to your self. Quite good 4WD tracks in these cf Grampians. Also good wineries ar Langi Goran and nice walking tracks. Best camping spot is at Ditchfield Camping ground right near Mt Cole. Parks can be accessed via western highway at Beaufort or from the raod to Warrak via Ararat.

Black Ranges west of Grampains are another area that is often forgotten and you will have it to yourself at this time of year.

In the grampians, camping ground at Boreang as very camper trailer frienldly with good fire pits and loos and central to the better areas. Will have it to yourself up the easter when it will be packed.

have fun
AnswerID: 408771

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:26

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:26
Hey OE its Bonz here, you asked a few questions about the Pyrenees Gathering, if you want to email me at bonzinc@iprimus.com.au I can tell you the answers !

We live about 90 mins south of Pyrenees so we may be neighbours(ish)

Cya
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 682601

Sponsored Links