Old Settlers Rd, Yengo National Park, temporarily closed by neighbours

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:40
ThreadID: 7688 Views:3251 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just to inform everyone the Old Settlers Road (Convict Road) in Yengo National Park (NSW) has been closed by the property owners at Paynes Crossing (just north of Wollombi). The road is a public road running thru Yengo National Park (excluded from National Park) - the road is therefore the responsibility of Cessnock Shire Council, National Parks have assist in maintaining the section of the road that passes thru the park even though they are not truely responsible for it. There is concerns by the property owners that damage is occurring to their land as the road does not eactly follow the true road reserve and that Council does not want anything to do with the road. As a result the property owners have to put up with damage to their access roads as this road is becomming extremely popular with the 4WDers. The Paynes Crossing end has a water depth of atleast headlight level and over and the neighbours are fed up with pulling people out to add to their concerns. Anyway chains have been erected by the locals at the crossing to stop access. National Parks have sign posted the Putty Road end saying that it is a no thru road at present. If we want to see this trail open all the way thru then I can only say write to Cessnock Council and ask for them to maintain the road as it is a major attraction for the area. Otherwise the neighbours will not permit access out the Paynes Crossing end. National parks are still permitting access in from the Putty Rd except there is no way out at Paynes Crossing.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross- Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:31

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:31
Not sure of the rules in NSW but in Qld it is my understanding a designated road cannot be closed by any individual, regardless of whether it is developed or not.Rosco
AnswerID: 33183

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:34

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:34
IM sure its the same in all states
FollowupID: 23853

Reply By: trikidiki - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:58

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:58
Had the same problem with the same road many years ago, was advised by the lands dept to ask the local police to tell the property owners to remove their locks, or I eas legally entitled to remove them by whatever means necessary.
AnswerID: 33206

Follow Up By: Charlie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:06

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:06
Unfortunately if there has never been a road constructed and maintained by a government dept you don’t really have right of access because as soon as the track deviates from the road reserve your trespassing. Maybe the property owners would like a decent road built and maintained by the council, their the ones who as ratepayers need to ask.
FollowupID: 23824

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:43

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:43

As you know I have 'done' this track a couple of times now and I know exactly where you mean. I actually reckon that part of the track is the more spectacular. It would be an absolute shame if this road is allowed to stay closed. I have just sent an e-mail off to the mayor at


Hope that gets a response

Rgds Kiwi
AnswerID: 33210

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:10

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:10
This track has a pretty deep ford which changes continually and a lot of 4WDers don't get out and wade it and as a result get stuck - result they go searching for the closest help and so the neighbours are fed up assisting. Constant damage is occurring to this crossing and no one is maintaining it except for the property owners when they are forced to when it becomes too rough. So the locals are taking it to Council to demand action - so please send letters to Council. Don't think taking a set of bolt cutters is the way to go as the property owners will get more upset and demand the road be closed. These guys are rate payers so they should be able to get a descent access track into their places. If you write to Council maybe you should state that the access is important for emergency access for the Rural Fire Service and National Parks etc and it is Council responsibilty to maintain this access for emergencies.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 33271

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)