great wall china 4wd

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:17
ThreadID: 76929 Views:5121 Replies:7 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I have to ask the question,has anyone brought one of these yet and willing to admit it.If so what is are your thoughts on them.I know they are very cheap to buy but how cheap are they actually?

Cheers
Glyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:36

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:36
Don't think they did to well in the crash test department.

Also don't know how many have been sold. I have not had any complaints about them yet. I work for a Government Department dealing with motor vehicle complaints.

I also don't think they would retain value when you went to resell it.

Not all things made in china are rubbish. Their aircraft like the YAK ect are built like brick dunnies. Very agricultural but do the job and do it well
Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 409135

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:50

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 20:50
They are not the only ones to do badly in the crashtest department.

Has anyone seen the figures for any of the Landcruiser utes prior to the current ones.

Toyota certainly don't advertise how safe they are.........or NOT.

Disco.
FollowupID: 679089

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 21:11

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 21:11
Funny how all vehicles are compared to Toyota's..........
FollowupID: 679096

Follow Up By: Nutta - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:08

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:08
This time both are junkers obviously!
FollowupID: 679116

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 01:02

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 01:02
The Yak Aircraft Corporation is a Russian aircraft designer and manufacturer, The bureau was formed in 1934 under designer Alexander Sergeevich Yakovlev.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 679128

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 15:22

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 15:22
A friend who sells them for the local dealership here has sold 70+ at last count and claims he could have sold heaps more if there were a diesel option. We will be organising a drive day for them soon so it will be interesting to see how capable they real are. The ones I have seen so far run Mitsubishi motors. We did a drive day with SangYong vehicles last year and they proved to be very capable. Some ppl don't need all the bells and whistles and are happy to get what they pay for. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 679196

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 21:01

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 21:01
Doug T
Yep 100% correct. Dont know what I was thinking when I said the YAK was Chinese. Got my wires crossed I think
Thanks for the correction

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 679242

Reply By: Plasnart - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 21:28

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 21:28
I admit I don't know anything about these vehicles, but my hunch is that they may become very popular in the future however they would need to release a large 4x4 to be competitive I think. The gradual softening of the traditionally-tough large 4x4's available in this country is alarming. I mean, we used to have those types of vehicles readily available in this country but now seem to have less and less options for real 4x4 capability. The Patrol (my pick of the bunch by the way) is no longer available with live axles or simple-tough-reliable 4.2L diesel engine. These features were exactly what I was looking for when I wanted a strong and capable 4x4. The Landcruiser Troopcarrier is now a mid-sized, over-priced travesty compared to the classic simplicity and functionality of its previous models. The Landcruiser 200-series is most commonly seen dropping kids off at primary schools. The Land Rovers are nearly exclusively techno-packed urban shuttles these days except for the Defender.

There are plenty of good mid-sized 4x4's which would be better options than Great Wall vehicles I reckon. Triton, Ranger, Pajero, Prado, Hilux, etc are all pretty good vehicles but also still not as versatile as the Patrols and Landcruisers of 10 years ago.

So I think there is probably a big market out there for Big Wall to target but I think they'll need to target the large 4x4 market to have any hope of future high-volume sales. There is too much quality competition in the mid-range sizes for them to compete.

Those of us who want strong, built-for-purpose, simple, reliable touring 4x4's are probably finding our choice of vehicles becoming quite limited.

You couldn't offer me enough $$ for me to part with my 9-year-old Patrol considering the softening-down of current models.
AnswerID: 409148

Follow Up By: Nutta - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:12

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:12
The trouble with most mid sized 4bys for some people is price, i think they're good value for money, from memory most of the others start at 35ish, these are aorund 25ish. Big difference for some people.
Cheers
FollowupID: 679117

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 07:31

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 07:31
I would put money on any 200LC or Disco3 (urban shuttles as you call them) offroad when compared to an old Cruiser or Patrol and Defender.

These vehicles are tough, reliable, more comfortable, have more power and better economy and will go further in 90% of situations off road and do it easier AND in most cases with road tyres.

Baz.
FollowupID: 679133

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:51

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:51
Hi Redback

We took a 200 for a test and after it felt like we hadn't done anything. May as well have been in the back seat. You don't drive them. Its almost to the stage, with all the techo stuff, that you sit in the back with the remote and just be a passenger. Why bother with the remote. Just enable the integrated GPS and watch that video: "4wding in the 80's". Darn it. Just grab the big screen remote a beer and chips and sit back in the media room. I think I am going a bit far here. Get the idea though? An excellent bit of engineering but NO THANKS.

This is exactly why we went for a 2nd hand car. We want to enjoy the feel of the bumps and rocks in the steering wheel. Feel the wheels slip and have to adjust the braking - carefully. Concentrate on wheel placement and where the best traction and stable part is. All that good stuff.

We want to play and not be a passenger (no not bloody hoon).

Sorry but you can have your robot urban shufflers. Each to their own.

Phil

FollowupID: 679138

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:29

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:29
Quote: "This is exactly why we went for a 2nd hand car. We want to enjoy the feel of the bumps and rocks in the steering wheel. Feel the wheels slip and have to adjust the braking - carefully. Concentrate on wheel placement and where the best traction and stable part is. All that good stuff.

We want to play and not be a passenger (no not bloody hoon).

Sorry but you can have your robot urban shufflers. Each to their own. "

Give that man a cigar!!!!! My sentiments exactly.

I am of the opinion that far too many so called die-hard "off-roaders" have gone soft around the girth, so to speak.

These days, when we (excluding me, vk1dx and a few others) look at buying a new 4x4 (or any other vehicle), we are hood-winked into looking at such things as "ANCAP ratings" and litres/100klm etc.

I too like to feel (and hear) what my engine and drive train are doing. I can tell you (without the aid of any idiot lights etc) if I'm losing traction on a steep slope, mud hole etc. I suspect, as my learned colleage said above, that in the new fashion "cars", you just wind the windows up, ensure you have your favourite symphony orchestra playing good and loud through the 16 speaker stereo (fed by your MP6 player with it's 64,000,000,000 songs embedded)
and drive it up the same hill, allowing the 223 computers to adjust the KDSS and DHDC and the ASBS etc etc, oblivious to what the heck is going on under the bonnet (until something goes wrong).

Then it's a case of......"Cecil, what does this pretty red light on the dash-board thingy mean and why has our forward motion ceased?"......hahahaha

Time to get the sat-phone out and call the Loan-Arranger and Tonto!!!!!! hahahaha

I too will be sticking with my 10y/o Patrol with it's live axles (including front air locker and great rear limited slipper), powered by a (greenie's worst nightmare) thirsty 6.5 litre Chev V8 diesel and weighing in at around 3 tonne (+/- hahahaha).

However, I suspect these comments will lost on the likes of those who have plenty of money and just love touring around the back blocks listening to Batehoven and Bach, while sipping their latte at every cafe they come across.

The diggers who fought and died for us to have freedom would be rolling over in their graves if they could see how soft we've all become with our side curtain air bags etc etc.

Roachie
FollowupID: 679142

Follow Up By: wallabyjack5 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:33

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:33
Sorry but don't know what the above comments have to do with question asked.We have our 1993 troopy done over 600000ks and yes would never sell her but sometimes would be nice to have a smaller 4wd to do some of the soft stuff.The old bones are not quiet like they use to be.Still would like to hear from someone who actually owns one.
Cheers
Glyn
FollowupID: 679152

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:55

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:55
Yeh, sorry for going off on a tangent...... ;-)
FollowupID: 679165

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:17

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:17
Such naughty bays aren't we Roachie.
FollowupID: 679179

Reply By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 21:29

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 21:29
They must be selling quite a few because I see them on the road quite often. There was a bloke parked up one street back from me the other day and he had one of the SUV's, I had a bit of a squiz at it.
AnswerID: 409149

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:01

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:01
It might be wishful thinking as far as value goes, but if they were piles of krap, it would be all over the media and off road websites. Let's face it, there's no shortage of reports on exploding Nissans, runaway Toyota's, fiery Jeeps and the like.
Maybe no word is good word?
We can but hope.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 409210

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53
G'day Wallaby,

I'm guessing no one is owning up or they don't frequent this fine establishment - hard to imagine. I saw one only yesterday and was thinking that is the first one I've seen but there must be 100's on the road by now. I'd be looking elswhere based on this thread. Clearly the possibility of no one speaking up to ownership are pretty remote, so given that EO members will champion just about anything this means that those that have bought one are just not telling = bad news.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 409223

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:26

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:26
"just not telling =bad news" , then again, no news is good news ,
FollowupID: 679182

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:59

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:59
G'day Alloy,

You might be right! I was just getting in form for the usual brand sledging. All ready had a description in mind - how's "the great joke"? Hopefully this will flush them out - I would like to know as well.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 679185

Reply By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 21:28
Curosity got the better of me and I looked at their website. Here in SA, there are only two dealers, 1 in the NT, but bucket loads in QLD.

Although I'd be reluctant to buy one, based on my fear of the unknown, I'm sure Hyundai were in the same boat as Great Wall many moons ago, and now look at them.

The sales stratergies for many Asian countries is to flood the market with cheap imports to gather brand recognition. All the whille producing low cost cars with reasonable levels of appointment, tried and tested drivelines and low profit margins.

After the reliability naysayers are proven wrong and the name sake has cemented itself onto the shopping list of new car buyers...the price starts to slowly climb. Then and only then does the company start returning a favourable profit.

Again.....exactly what Hyundai did back in the early 90's with their $13990 drive away no more to pay incl. A/C 3 door Excels. To be honest, I bought one of them for my wife and it was bullet proof. We were treated better by the dealers than we have been on other purchases of far more expensive cars. Servicing was cheap and although we only had minor warranty issues, we weren't treated like criminals when we took the car in for warranty work.

Only time will tell, but I would be very surprised if they didn't succeed. The name could do with a face lift. Great Wall sounds a bit tacky.

AnswerID: 409274

Follow Up By: Farmboywa - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:00

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:00
In the early 1960s, Toyota motor vehicles were challenging the Holdens, Fords and Chryslers and were demonised as cheap and nasty. But it wasn't long before the Crown sedans and wagons and the chunky Hilux one ton tray tops and Hiace lwb vans appeared everywhere. With the Pilbara iron ore boom of the 1970s the Landcruiser made its entry. Toyota is now at the top with nowhere to go except down.
FollowupID: 679258

Reply By: wallabyjack5 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 22:35

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 22:35
Thanks everyone for there comments and even to the ones that got off track a bit I do appreciate it
Cheers
Glyn
AnswerID: 409285

Sponsored Links