load levelller kit

hi everyone i have a 17' full van with a ball weight of about 155 kg. in the past i could buy level bars for loads up to 120 kg. the next size available was 250kg. [overkill !] i discover now that "Trojan" have a kit rated at 160 kg. retailers seem reluctant to put them on display preferring to keep them in the cartons. does any one have the Trojan unit or had experience with them and could you please give me your thoughts? many thanks in advance for you replies cheers thomas qld
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:16

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 13:16
Nothing wrong with the 250kg kit

It takes ball weights UP TO 250 kg so will be suitable for lesser weight.

Your ball weight will vary with van loadings and could well exceed your ABOUT 155kg anyway.

Get a Hayman Reece and have the best. Then if you upgrade your van you wont need to buy another set.

Think ahead as many people, us included who were NEVER going to buy another van ended up with a larger one on a round Aus trip.

AnswerID: 409227

Follow Up By: Thomas QLD - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 14:57

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 14:57
hi graham many thanks for your reply i agree with what you say but to me adding approx 40kg to the ball weight area seems to defeat the purpose, does it not? cheers tom
FollowupID: 679188

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 15:08

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 15:08
?????? where do you get 40kg from The WDH head is fixed to the car as are the arms so wont make one scrap of difference to the ball weight

Any apparatus, Your Trojan included will add its own weight to wherever its mounted anyway and as 99.9%of vanners use HR they must be doing something right.

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of not having one.

I wouldn't take my van around the block at home let alone around Australia without one.

Your van your money your life, do what you like.

You asked for advice so am just offering some that has worked for me in our last trip of 50,000km.

Repco sell Trojans so go and ask them to open a box they did for me when I wanted to buy wheel clamps.

FollowupID: 679193

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 15:21

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 15:21
Hi there. I too am a great fan of WDH particularly in terms of the stability of the rig. The question what do you need depends on the van weight and drawbar download, as has been said. But is also depends on the towing capacity of the tug.
In my case (Prado 250kg with ball weight rating and 2500kg towed mass rating) I decided that my 1.4 tonne van (ball weight about 140kg) could live with the 120kg rating bars I was given. 5 years later and with no dramas, I haven't changed my mind.
Unless you tow vehicle is on the limit of its towbar rating at 120kg, I wonder if you'd be quite OK with 120kg bars? By the way, I was repeatedly told that the rig I have doesn't need any WDH, even when I was, in effect, asking my local Hayman Reese dealer if I should splash out and buy a real HR unit. To his credit, he gave me an honest answer:"Don't bother!"
AnswerID: 409236

Follow Up By: Thomas QLD - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 17:55

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 17:55
dear tenpounder, i too already have a similar outfit. i think there known as shepherd's crooks, two bars on each side. seems to work fine but i thought that theroreticly they were over loaded and perhaps the Trojan would do a better job for a prolonged journey. cheers tom
FollowupID: 679211

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:08

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:08
Hi Thomas. Actually mine are GMH branded accessories (many years old!), and are a single bar each side, with a simple bend (not a shepherds' crook shape).
I take your point. No 'right answers', eh??
FollowupID: 679216

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:34

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:34
Thomas,

I would go with the 250kg size.
The other is definitely under strength for your van/ball weight, and would be at risk of bending or even snapping under stress.

Using 250kg rated gear is not "overkill", but just carries a more than adequate safety margin.

IMO a 160kg rated set would be very marginal and perhaps a false economy. You might find out after the first servo with a dip at the gutter!!!

As the others have said, "don't screw -- I mean tow -- without one."

Ken

AnswerID: 409252

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 19:13

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 19:13
Hi gottabejoaken / Ken
I see your coment about traversing servo entrances/exits with a dip at the gutter...

On the other hand - having an extra-strong 250kg HR unit on a 'light' van does put extra 'strain' on the A-bars... I have a 250kg unit on my van and was warned by PeterHall of Hall's Caravans when he fitted it that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should I REVERSE the van from the flat UP or DOWN an incline. ONLY REVERSE WITH GEAR ON WHEN YOU ARE COMPLETELY LEVEL OTHERWISE YOU WILL BEND/KINK THE A-FRAME...

Extrapolating from that nugget of wisdom - I would say that putting a heavy duty (250kg) WDH on a "light" 1600kg van (with correspondly-designed A-Frame) may put additional stress on the A-Frame... Rather than providing an increased margin of safety.
I'm no expert - but my common sense says use gear that it is designed for...
Jedo
FollowupID: 679227

Follow Up By: gottabjoaken - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 20:20

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 20:20
Jedo,

you are introducing another parameter with your comments here.

I am not saying that there would or would not be such a problem if "too strong" bars are used, but one has to make the assumption that the A-frame is not under designed for the van.

You do not have to pull the bars up tight. They only need to level the tow vehicle - ie match the ball weight. At that, they should not put undue stress on the A-frame.

If the A-frame is inadequate, it most likely would be inadequate with or without the bars.

Ok, Yes, perhaps the caravan manufacturer should be involved in the discussion.
Ken
FollowupID: 679237

Sponsored Links