Diesel storage

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:01
ThreadID: 7697 Views:3438 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody any clues of how long diesel can be stored in fuel tank before it turns to bleep . (Vehicle is stored for a few months at a time.) Any recommendations of best additive to keep the bugs away? other advise?
thanks
jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Solo - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 17:32

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 17:32
Morgen Jack, Longest I kept was "10 Years", no bull, filled tank from stored Jerry Cans and drove with full tank absulutly no bad affects, right now have 6 Jerry Cans full, their 3-4 Years old, only additive I use sometimes if tanking Supermarkt
Diesel, lacke additives so to compensate add two stroke oil approx; .30Ltr, that way Injector Pump gets lubricated, thats one of drawbacks of this modern super diesel
low sulpher, no real lubricant for rotery pumps. I mostly tank ESSO,JET,BP all good
quality. Dont worry Cliff.
AnswerID: 33256

Reply By: Member - Ross- Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 18:41

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 18:41
Don't forget diesel is not much more than kerosene so it's my guess the shelf life would be quite substantial.Rosco
AnswerID: 33262

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:47

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:47
As your probably aware, diesel like brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and organisms can live in the membrane between the moisture and the diesel.
( previously extensively covered in 4Wd monthly some time ago)
Storage life is variable depending on conditions but the same mag did a test on addatives as well and they reckon that Wynns EDT is the best of the lot. It has to be ordered usually from the local spare parts and is about $25 a litre but you only use 50mls per tank or to fix dirty fuel 100 to 200 mls depending on tank size.
Only going on the guru's tests and hoped this helped.
AnswerID: 33269

Reply By: David N. - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:17

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:17
agree with all of the above...
Have often used diesel that is five or more years old.... very low vapour pressue ie: evaporation rate is low- you won't find a jerry-can of diesel builds up pressure like gasoline does.
As long as it's in a SEALED container, you should not have too many problems... IMHO
Cheers.
AnswerID: 33273

Sponsored Links