Are the days numbered for L.P.G vehicles

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:06
ThreadID: 7701 Views:1766 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
As a tradesman spending many hours a week travelling to and from jobs i have been enticed onto the cheaper fuel for about the last ten years.I have put up with the under power,the higher usage and often rough running for the saving at the pump.Now that tarrifs are being dropped in 2008 it means the new cheap fuel is undoubtably diesel.In Europe diesel taxi's are common and probably will be here too.In the past five years diesel technology has improved out of sight in many passenger cars and has already taken over here in 4x4's.VW has now even produced a SUV which is a V10 bi-turbo tdi producing 230kw and 750nm of torque.The big landcruisers and patrols currently forced onto lpg due to running cost will depreciate substantially when lpg is constantly over 50 cents per litre.At this price may as well run on petrol.What is it with governments to entice people onto the cheap fuel then whack the price up?Is lpg as a fuel on the way out? mark
life is but a journey
make sure you are in the drivers seat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DODO(bendigo) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:25

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 19:25
gday marcus.
lets hope it dosnt come to that.
if lpg is goint to be over 50cpl in 2008 and petrol will be about $120-130 so lpg will still be cheaper to use i think(hope)Raphus cucullatus
AnswerID: 33268

Follow Up By: crfan - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:50

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:50
Wait till you get to W.A. were most of the lpg comes from we are already paying over 63c in the country...
FollowupID: 23876

Reply By: Member - Ross- Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:15

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:15
Speaking of diesel I recall reading an article many years ago about a German bloke who had a fish and chip type shop. He also ran an ancient diesel Merc and used up his old oil by mixing it with the diesel.

Not suggesting that for one minute in modern vehicles but goes to show what you could get away with in the old oil burners.Rosco
AnswerID: 33278

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:19

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:19
its not silly rosco its being done in melb at this time bloke collects oil filters it and into the wagon or whatever his mode of transport read or heard aboutit not so long ago

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
FollowupID: 23835

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:42

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 21:42
The diesel engine was originally designed to use what we now know as "biodiesel", peanut oil. It was only after the invention of the spark ignition engine that the oil companies had this heavy residue left over from the distillation (cracking) of raw crude oil, and found that it could be used to run in diesel-cycle engines. The rest is history.

Here we are going full circle.......
FollowupID: 23843

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:10

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:10
Google for Biodiesel

there are servos in NSW that sell it too

but the Gov has now put fuel excise on it. you think little bleep head Howard is going to miss his cut of the action??
FollowupID: 23850

Follow Up By: Clarky - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 02:56

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 02:56
Gday. A guy in Perth by the name of Tony Clark out near Byford somewhere is doing at this moment out of his back yard. Know this as seen him on Today tonight and he is my uncle.

Cheers and cold beers
Clarky.
FollowupID: 23863

Reply By: Martin - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:44

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:44
I agree with you Marcus. Also though LPG has never been a viable option for 4X4 if it was to be used in remote areas as lack of range, higher usage, lack of availability and the inability to carry extra all ruled it out for those who go off road. The serious 4X4 drivers have always gone for diesel in the big rigs as its attributes in the areas of range, low speed torque, safety when carried, reliability and economy make it without peer. The further outback you go the higher the number of diesels. In FNQ you see very few petrol and no LPG vehicles being used by the locals. Of course petrol/LPG is popular with the 4wd used as a suburban taxi/shopping car etc. and that's frequently all that many 4wds are used for. I don't think it was this government that enticed people onto cheap fuel mark! But ultimately people have to take responsibility for their decisions and realise that "fads" come and go - and frankly I looked at it and couldn't see enough pluses to LPG to have it installed.
AnswerID: 33304

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:43

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:43
Marcus, I hate to sound like the prophet of doom, but LPG isn't the only thing on the way out. Life as we know it is rapidly disappearing. Access to the bush, the freedom to drive modified vehicles, the freedom to camp under the stars, catch fish, even the existence of the 'outback' will all soon be just a fond memory. The advancement of the human plague and the philosophy clearing and populating vacant land won't stop until this continent has been turned into a feedlot for humans.Bob
AnswerID: 33308

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:16

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:16
Good Grief Uncle Bob but you are a pessimist!!!
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23949

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 10:42

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 10:42
Marcus,

I've been of the opinion for years that with big 4WD's, LPG doesn't produce any savings unless you have access to regular cheap supplies like in capital cities. My folks 60 series LC was dual fuel set-up. Once when dad was in hospital and I flew home, I was driving it around for about 3 weeks. Couldn't believe how much it was costing to run the thing on LPG. Months later when dad recovered I mentioned it to him and he said he never runs it on LPG in the country, only when he can get real cheap LPG (which was usually Melbourne). Most of the time it was cheaper to run on petrol. My dad has kept a log book for donky's years and knows down to the last cent what he's spending on fuel and milage.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 33318

Sponsored Links