Fitting EGT Gauge issue

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 14:19
ThreadID: 77086 Views:3097 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have the GU 3LTD and I'm about to fit the gauges as close monitors of engine performance. I was going to remove the exhaust manifold to fit the post turbo EGT probe, the idea of some spec of drilling swarf getting into the turbo makes me very nervous.

My mate has suggested just removing the turbo and then drilling, then blow any loose particle out by hitting the starter motor. What do you think ??

Any comments welcome

Also, would the engine start with out the turbo connected ?
I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Angler - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 14:55

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 14:55
Put the sensor in after the turbo as close as possible to the turbo. There will be no danger of any chips etc getting into the turbo.

I can send a couple of pictures if you wish just email me. I used a quite simple method that seems fairly fool proof and works fine.
Remember it is only a guide and once you have some figures then that's what you refer to in the future.
Mine gets to about 350 with most normal driving and up to 450 to 500 towing the van. Over 550 I take a foot off a bit.

AnswerID: 409910

Reply By: Member - David L1 (VIC) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 17:30

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 17:30
Hi Saltgrinder. Fill the drill flutes with a heavy high melting point grease, then drill at a speed that does not melt the grease. Any swarf will be collected in the grease. Keep an eye on it and clean the drill replacing the grease if necessary. This works for me.
AnswerID: 409931

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 21:58

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 21:58
Thanks, I have actually stuffed my question. I did mean to say PRE turb in the manifold (not - post). It then makes more sense as to what I'm suggesting about removing the turbo.
Carpe diem

FollowupID: 679919

Reply By: Member - Danny R (QLD) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 21:47

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 21:47
I agree with the other chaps re installing the thermocouple post turbo, but before the cat converter. That is where most others have it so comparing your readings to others will be much simpler then. It is generally held that sustained periods over 550C are a bad idea. Plus, you don't want to go removing the turbo if you don't need to.

I have a TaipanXP exhaust on mine and it already had an EGT gauge port welded into it which made things easy.
AnswerID: 409971

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 13:44

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 13:44
Hi Salty,

I see it's a few weeks since your post but if you haven't yet fitted your EGT probe, please feel free to send me an email. I may have some useful info on fitting a thermocouple into a ZD30 engine, including photos.

I'd suggest a pre-turbo sensor installation is definitely worth the effort with the ZD30, given it's chequered history.

Ian
AnswerID: 412375

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 14:38

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 14:38
Thanks for that offer Ian.
I fitted a 2¾" Beaudesert exhaust system which had the spigot fitted pre cat, and I managed to cut a perfect hole in the heat shield for the probe.

I would like to have put the probe pre turbo but time (lack of) at the moment forced me into a corner. Sometime in the future if/when I have to strip that side of the engine and expose the manifold I'll put in an extra probe and switch.

Can't believe the improvement with the new exhaust though.

Carpe diem

FollowupID: 682386

Sponsored Links