GU 3.0 queries

Submitted: Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:59
ThreadID: 7710 Views:1428 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I was told last night that Nissan have been getting cars back with a fifth gear problem,that they are losing it at 50,000-60,000k`s.
With this he was told the gearboxes in the 3.0ltr are a nissan "z" gearbox.
The other problem is that they are having more problems with the oil ,that it is gunking up blocking the oil channels and putting pistons through the block.
Apparently Nissan at Oakley and Bundoora have had a few cars back over the last
couple of weeks.
I hope this is not all true
Any feedback would be good.
Thanks
TIM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martin - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:23

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:23
Sounds pretty much true to form to me TIM. Many people on this forum report problems with that make and particularly that model. I had a Pajero some time ago and the model was widely reported to have 5th gear problems. I sold mine at 330K and had no problems so if you have a GU 3.0 don't worry too much - it doesn't happen to them all. Avoiding labouring in 5th especially towing is always a good idea. I've always had autos since the Pajero. Less chance of abusing the box or engine.
AnswerID: 33301

Reply By: GUPatrol - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:40

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:40
Tim,
Some of the info you got is not right.
Here are the facts:
The g'box in the 3.0L patrol is NOT the Z gearbox, the G'box in the 2.8 L patrol was...
The g'box in the 3.0L is the same as the Petrol and 4.2 diesels.
When the 3.0l engine was launched, Nissan reviewed the gearbox and made some changes to it, with that the gear manufacturer introduced a problem due to a tolerance stuff up in the making of the splines.
The problem vehicles are from 2000 to 2002 (series 2) patrols and it includes all models. Nissan is replacing the faulty gears under warranty even if it happens after the warranty period has expired.
If you have a series 1 Patrol (non 3.0L as it didn't exist then) you are safe.
The engine was apparently revised on the series 3 because some do blow up.
So the conclusion pretty much is that if you got a series 2 3.0L you probably have both problems but series 3's are fine.
As the other comment, don't labour the engine in fith (ie don't push in 5th below 80kms/h) which is very easy to do in the 3.0L.
Will
AnswerID: 33303

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:31

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:31
Search the archives. Theres tons on them.

Also try the GU and Patrol4wd lists on Yahoogroups, theres even more unhappy owners.
AnswerID: 33328

Reply By: chrisfrd - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:59

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:59
Hi Tim,

I'm an owner of a 2001 build GUII Patrol and I also have mates with 1999 GUII and we are ALL having problems!

My truck is a Yo-Yo, being that it always ends up going in for warranty work. I don't tow that often in my truck and when I do, it's usually highway speed stuff with medium weight trailers. (1ton complete)

My gearbox has just "gone bad" with syncro's in 2nd and 3rd gears becoming less effective. Additionally my mates 1999 GU has just thrown cylinders off the crank. Although my truck has never totally failed, I've had turbo's stuff up (one of which tore out the oil line on the bearing and dumped a litre of oil into the exhaust, causing a fire) two computers replaced and a a set of bearings on the front hub fail!

All in all I think that the truck is about 90% right, but if my engine goes bang, then there is going to be BIG trouble at Nissan!
AnswerID: 33360

Follow Up By: Pete G - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 19:52

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 19:52
Chris,
I have a GUII, May 2000 build and just blew motor at 140k (hole in No. 2 piston) . Nissan came to the party. They did not strip the motor down so I did not get a look.
Then to boot, on replacement a mechanic got over-exuberant with the silicon blocking the oil feed and a set of turbo bearings went west. (they will do 700k's without oil !!)
The 5th gear was a problem until the GU3.
Mine also had a turbo replaced as it was not boosting properly due to a failure of the dashpot which is aparrently not separately serviced.

Regards

Pete G
FollowupID: 23926

Sponsored Links