Caravan Servicing - How often and what is done?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 14:57
ThreadID: 77116 Views:7836 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Have picked up a good conditon second hand van and was wondering about getting it serviced before we go away.
What is the usual procedure, what is done, & including costs etc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:33

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:33
Getting a van serviced is relatively simple. You can either do it yourself or take it to a caravan service / repairs place.
If you do it yourself here are the things I do.
Check all tyres including spare for wear etc and rotate.
Re-grease/pack bearings and replace if required.
Whilst I have the wheels etc off check the brake linings & magnets replace if required.
Check chassis for any cracks or weld fractures. arrange repairs if required.
Check all lights both exterior and interior.
Clean ball hitch and lightly grease (some don't but I do).
After you have done the bearings adjust brakes. This must be done properly.
Check all hatches ,doors,locks and windows for operation and lubricate if warranted. I use a spray called Selleys Easyglide and find it does a good job and is great on Pop Top zippers as well.
Get into every cupboard and vacuum out any dust etc.
A good spring clean is a great way of finding any flaws and repairing same before they become problems.
The above I do every 10,000ks or once per annum whichever comes first.
There are probably some things I have left out however you will get more hints I have no doubt.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410077

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:57

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:57
I get mine done on site at least once a year, and more if going on a long trip (before/after).
Brakes, incl hand brake, are checked including electric brake set up.

Other general maintenace checks incl tyres (pressure/thread), wind down legs, wheel bearings, AFrame nuts and bolts etc.

Attention to plumbing ,electrical issues .

Coincidentally my service is being performed tomorrow and I expect to pay around $175 .
Pretty reasonable for peace of mind and convenience of home service.

If I have forgotten anything will post again after service.

Pedro
FollowupID: 679990

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:52

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:52
Baically wheel bearings and brakes need to be serviced however modern vans now have many extras like break away brakes, hot water service, Solar power battery power etc,etc.

If it is just the basic wheel bearing and brakes you are concerned with then this is a simple matter of removing the wheels and brake drum cleaning all old grease from the bearing and re greasing. A clean and check of the brake linings and reassembly. Then adjust the brakes and check their operation.

Once this is done the brakes and bearings should be fine for the next 20,000 Ks or 2 years whichever comes first. If you are confident enough to do this work yourself then it is not a bad idea to carry a spare set of wheel bearings, they are not expensive and are about the only thing that can imobilise you (apart from van breaking in half)

Note that the info provided is simply my opinion and does not come from any caravan handbook.

Also check the tyres they do have a use by date mouled into the rubber and it is recommended that tyres should not be used if over 10 years old.

Best regards Cruiser
AnswerID: 410079

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 16:02

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 16:02
Agree with you Cruiser, except where you say "Also check the tyres they do have a use by date mouled into the rubber and it is recommended that tyres should not be used if over 10 years old. "
I would say "Also check the tyres they do have a date of manufacture moulded into the rubber and it is recommended that tyres should not be used if over 7 years old (some say 5).
FollowupID: 679991

Follow Up By: Cruiser 2091 - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:21

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:21
Thanks Chris.
After you corrected me I realised how misleading my statement would have sounded.

Regards Cruiser
FollowupID: 680013

Reply By: Sacred Cow - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 16:51

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 16:51
Also check for rust in chassis and spray on cold gal as necessary.

Turn on gas and check every joint for leaks with water/detergent solution - paint on or spray on.

If you have a Winegard antenna dismantle it as per instructions and lubricate it with silicone.

If you have a sacrificial anode in your hotwater system, check/replace it.

Check maximum current to electric brakes - should be approx. 3A per wheel. When doing re-packing of wheel bearings ensure that the magnet's actuating arm is free to move, i.e. check that the pivot bearing is not rusted up.

Silicone corner steadies.

Glenn
AnswerID: 410084

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 17:03

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 17:03
Hi Sacred Cow. Advice please: what silicon product do you recommend? I've been using old fashioned grease so far, but we all know the problems with grease and grot! Thanks
FollowupID: 679997

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 17:05

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 17:05
Sacred Cow: I should have said for the corner steadies (I reckon the best treatment for a TV antenna is to remove it and leave it at home!!)
FollowupID: 679998

Follow Up By: Sacred Cow - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 18:44

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 18:44
Hi Tenpounder,

It's best to use a "dry" silicone so that grit and muck doesn't stick to it. I try to use the sailing boat stuff "Sailfast". Any similar product would be fine. I think Selleys make a similar one; I think it is called "EasyGlide".

The Winegard is a good compromise and performs well if you know how to convert it easily for vertically polarised signals and have a digital STB.

Glenn
FollowupID: 680005

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:15

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:15
Thanks, Glenn
FollowupID: 680010

Sponsored Links