In the Aftermath of the Perth Storm

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:18
ThreadID: 77125 Views:4158 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
In the aftermath this morning, where lots of traffic lights were out, I was impressed with the calm and patience of drivers heading into work, allowing traffic to flow at failed traffic lights. The traffic would flow in one direction, till some drivers reckoned that they'd had a good go, and would stop and let traffic in the other direction have a go for a while. All it took as patience and a smile. As well as at failed lights, quite a few working lights were taken over by police pointsmen to speed up the flow (traffic lights aren't the smartest of things).
Drove past the Audi dealership in Osborne Park this morn, and it was sad to see a whole yard of new Audis with serious hail dings. Didn't get the chance to look, but Barbagallo's, across the road would similarly have had a few damaged Astons, Range Rovers, etc. Serious stuff.
There were still a few stranded cars around the place, where the owners had abandoned them from the night before.
And power looks like being out for a while in some places. Had my hair cut this arvo, and poor barber Tony was still working without power, but the adjacent supermarket and shopping centre was closed. The move to put in underground power thru the metro area some years back has paid its dividends, but it doesn't help when lightning destroys a substation, as happened in a couple of places.
Gerry

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dasher Des - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:36

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:36
G'day Joc. from what I recall of our meeting some time ago, you like me wouldn't need a lot of power to get a hair cut. LOLOL
Hope you didn't get too much damage. Been on skype to B.I.L. and getting first hand account of what happened.
AnswerID: 410105

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:47

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:47
Hi Des,
Yeh, it was a pretty easy snip with the scissors!
Haven't been too many places lately. Had a CABG about 6 months ago (right out of the blue), but pretty well recovered now and there's lots of living to do before I finally drop off the perch. Off to Darwin via the GCR in July, then back thru the Kimberley, just after coming back from the US of A at the end of June.
Decided that life's too short to sit at home!

rgds
Gerry

FollowupID: 680041

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:40

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:40
I'm sure the dent guys will have a field day with the audis and astons!
AnswerID: 410106

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:53

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:53
Gidday

I work around the corner from Barbagallo in Osborne Park and there were many damaged vehicles in the staff car park (including mine). One colleague already has a quote of $12000 to $14000 to fix a Toyota Corolla. Maybe it is an advantage to drive a ute as there is only half as much roof as a car to get dented! I will await the insurance company's advice.

The panel beaters wil have a field day for sure but imagine the affect on insurance premiums.

Cheers

Rocco

AnswerID: 410112

Follow Up By: Bomber_WA - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:53

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:53
Heard a panel beater on the radio this morning - he said they are too busy already and they didn't need all this hail damage...

Also, it shouldn't have an effect on insurance premiums... it is already factored into the premiums going on historical weather patterns where you live... so everyone has already paid for this already! They don't miss a trick...
FollowupID: 680075

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 20:53

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 20:53
Lots of photos doing the rounds today. We didn't get the hail but 50mm of rain in 30 minutes.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410118

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:28

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:28
Hi Duncan, we had 24 ml of rain up here, no wind or hail, a lovely rain for us, Lot of thunder and lighting, All power still on couldn't believe the damage in Perth though, wouldn't have liked to been in those apartments on Mounts Bay Rd.
Cheers
Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 680032

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:09

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:09
i heard a rumour that scarbro toyota are going to have a huge hail damage sale with big discounts on damaged vehicles
AnswerID: 410121

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:41

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:41
They'll be competing with all the other dealers!! LOL!

A word of warning: just check how you go for insurance on a damaged vehicle, that's all!

FollowupID: 680040

Reply By: bgreeni - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:43

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:43
Went out to the garage this morning to drive to work and found half the ceiling in the garage had collapsed. Luckily it was over the boat and not the car and no damage to either. Now waiting for inspection and repair.
AnswerID: 410140

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:52

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:52
As I mentioned on an earlier post, my undercroft garage got flooded, but I seem to have successfully dried out the wet power tools, and the house wiring has dried out enough so it doesn't trip out the RCD switch. Will still contact the insurance just in case the power tools self-destruct.
Fortunately, no vehicles were out in the hail. Just a big cleanup of the fallen limbs, chocked gutters and debris everywhere.

FollowupID: 680042

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 14:29

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 14:29
Just on that, how well will the electrical tools survive after being submerged? Did you pull them apart to clean them etc? I've got an arc welder, angle grinder, high pressure cleaner and air compressor that got inundated so any advice would be appreciated.
FollowupID: 680087

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 18:07

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 18:07
Depends on your insurance!
If you're not insured, or have a hefty excess, and the water was not salty or particularly contaminated, dry the item out asap, preferably in a warm place (even an oven at about 50deg). The whole idea is to remove the moisture before it can cause corrosion. Powering up an electrical tool while still damp is guaranteed to cause an electrical breakdown. Usually a couple of days left drying will result in the item working ok again. Taking apart is not usually necessary, as most power tools have vents in them which will allow the moisture to escape without having to open them up. If the item is sealed, and you suspect moisture has gotten in, then do the most basic opening-up, just to allow the moisture to escape should be fine. You may need to consider the effect of water on bearings, but most are sealed against dust, and will probably exclude water as well.
If there is mud through the power tool, then disassembly and cleaning is essential.

But if your insurance is good, then claim!!

FollowupID: 680112

Reply By: Jude&theboys - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:13

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:13
my mate has had her back windscreen completely destroyed by hail stones (she was about to leave work when the storm hit. She's just been told they don't have any replacement windscreens in the state! Repairs might take a while.
AnswerID: 410172

Sponsored Links