Jayco Hawk Outback

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:38
ThreadID: 77129 Views:6045 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a Jayco Hawk Outback camper. They appear to be robust and are not to bad for comfort but I am planning an extended trip to Kimberly and not sure how they stand up to serious corrugations and rough tracks etc etc. Any advice appreciated. Thanks,
DC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pheonix - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:15

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:15
DC,

I have an 04 OB Eagle. I did 20,000 Km's with it including the oodnadatta track, Mereenie Loop, Kakadu, Bungles, the GRR up to Mitchell Falls and all the gorges, Cape Leveque, Karjini NP etc.

The eagle handled it very well, lower tyre pressures, drive to the conditions. I fitted a positive pressure vent to the roof and had 3mm plastice covers for the fridge vents made and velcroed on when we went on dirt. I also protected underneath with extra stone shields over the shocks, water tank. Filled all the holes with sikaflex and made a stone guard for the A frame. Very minimal dust inside. The wife did not complain once about the dust so something must have worked.

You will be told the Jayco will fall apart and the Jayco will not get there, DON'T let anyone put you off travelling in the outback with the Jayco, it will go everywhere you want if you take care.

My family had a fabulous trip in the best part of Australia.

Graeme
AnswerID: 410158

Follow Up By: Dune Climber - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 21:50

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 21:50
Graeme,

Thanks for info. We will be purchasing end of April --wanted to wait for 2010 version.
Had already noticed all the holes that need filling and the requirement for stone guards and deflector. Didn't think about vent covers or positive pressure vent for roof.
Have you had any issues with cupboard hinges ?

DC
FollowupID: 680150

Reply By: yakodi - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 13:41

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 13:41
Hi Dune Climber, preventative maintenance in essential for longevity of the Jayco, as in, shock protection, water tank reinforcement, stone guard/deflector on the front, a drill, pop rivet gun/rivets, spare screws, carpet mats on the vinyl floor, protect the thin laminate, loctite, line the drawers, reinforce, and you'll have no worries.
AnswerID: 410188

Follow Up By: Dune Climber - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 21:57

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 21:57
yakodi,
Thanks for reply, I had seen the need for underbody protection and stone deflector but did not think about floor or laminate protection.
Carry drill etc in spares kit.

DC
FollowupID: 680151

Reply By: pmk03 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:55

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:55
G'Day,

Had a Jayco Outback Eagle now for over 3 years & as said with a few improvements to protect under body componants you wont have any problems. Treat it well & drive to the conditions & it will serve you well.

Great value for money in my book. & I could sell it now for more than I bought it for !!

Have been to the Kimberley a couple of times but this was before I had the camper. I don't think you can take a caravan into the Bungle Bungle anyway.
Not sure about the Mitchell Plateau though. Might have trouble getting over the King Edward River if it's up a bit. From memory a lot of travellers camped on the river & went in without their campers.

PMK
AnswerID: 410205

Follow Up By: pheonix - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:01

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:01
PMK,

The Hawk/Eagle are classed as a camper trailer. I found this out when I was deciding whether to take it into the Bungles and Cape Leveque. The rangers said it was fine and I said lets go !

The road to Mitchell was the roughest (corragations) we came accross. I would leave the van at King Edward river, no problems getting it accross the river, came up to the top of the rims.

Graeme
FollowupID: 680092

Follow Up By: Dune Climber - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:01

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:01
PMK,

Thanks for reply,
Have had plenty of good advice and I hope to get plenty of use from the Hawk
FollowupID: 680154

Reply By: briann532 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 20:31

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 20:31
Dune climber.......................

Many a post about the Jayco's. some positive and some negative.

I own a 2009 Hawk. It has allready travelled thousands of kays on some pretty rough roads.

As far as robustness goes, not a problem. Some things have rattled loose, but a quick go over with a screwdriver and some glue and it won't happen again.
Dust covers on the vents are essential, as is leaving the plug in the sink.

dust covers - 3/4 of way down page

picture of dust covers

Replace the rivets on the roof catches with some nuts and bolts for extra strength and to stop any future problems.

MOST IMPORTANTLY............
I adjust tyre pressure to suit the conditions.
I also drive at a slower speed on rough roads.

Haven't had a problem so far.

Hope it goes well for you. We love ours.

Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 410255

Follow Up By: Dune Climber - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:07

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:07
Brian,

Thanks for the link, plenty of interesting info there. Have now registered on my swag.

I'm sure we will many enjoyable trips when we get ours

DC
FollowupID: 680157

Sponsored Links