2wd bush camping katherine to broome.

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:14
ThreadID: 77131 Views:3940 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there all,

I have had a bit of a search of the forums and a google but was hoping some with real experience would offer some tips. my husband and our three kids 5,2 and nearly 1 have a 2wd Kluger and will soon have a cool new (to us) camper trailer.

we have done the trip across a few times a few years ago pre kids and in our patrol and swaging it so were not on the look out for what we are now wanting which is accessible but peaceful camping. we intend to mix it up with stopping for a few nights in places and some overnight stops on the way through. we're thinking 3 to four weeks in June.

any tips on links, books or your own experience would be gratefully received.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:24

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 23:24
Flora river about 100k or so towards broome

had showers and everything. In 03 it didnt seem well known and i had the park largely to myself
one of the best spots you could throw a kyac in
AnswerID: 410139

Follow Up By: Chipsy - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:38

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:38
thanks will check this out.
FollowupID: 680108

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 00:14

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 00:14
Hi Chipsy

We too like peaceful and remote camp sites. You can't do better than purchase the Jan Holland Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas publications (from the ExplorOz shop or other distributors). These are only for NT and WA, so cover the area you are asking about. She gives much more detail than the Camps Australia Wide (now on version 5) which most people use, so you would know if unsuitable for your 2wd. She also gives great advise on what to do and see within the listings.

As you head up the Stuart Highway, the old WWII air strips are lovely flat bitumised places to camp, often several kilometres away from the highway. They may have several entrance tracks, and although some may be rough, you should find one easy entrance.

Will you be touring places such as Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks? These have camp sites which are easy to get into as well as those requiring 4wd.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410141

Follow Up By: Chipsy - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:32

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:32
thanks motherhen, I will order Jans book as I have seen her name come up a few times, we are based in darwin so looking more at what we can do heading west than in litchfield or kakadu as they are accessable to us anytime...

FollowupID: 680106

Sponsored Links