Pedders Suspension

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 08:54
ThreadID: 77134 Views:5134 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone ever used it ?? My mate has prado same shape as mine but 99 model and petrol, I didnt comment to him about pedders as I have only ever used them in my younger days on my commodores and things when I wanted them dragging their bellys on the ground to make them look good, never had any issues with their workmanship but this was for cars not 4wd's. He probably wont be doing any real hard stuff BUT does intend coming on a trip with us. I informed him that I had OME in prado and happy with it and is cheaper then his quote from pedders $1950 supply and fit and also mentioned some thing about using spacers on the rear ?? Not to sure what thats about. Any thoughts on their 4wd suspension would be grateful as I will pass on the info to him. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:03

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:03
From dealings that I have had...walk away, springs aren't the best, shocks are cr@p and most of the time they haven't got a clue about 4wds.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410156

Follow Up By: CraigB - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:10

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:10
2nd that about not having a clue about 4wds.
Cheers
CraigB
FollowupID: 680064

Follow Up By: Member - desray (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 18:20

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 18:20
3rd that springs aren't the best, shocks are cr@p and most of the time they haven't got a clue about 4wds.
FollowupID: 680114

Reply By: andoland - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:14

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:14
You can get a much better suspension package for less than that. I had king springs and bilsteins installed on my 90 series last year, total cost was a bit over $1600 fitted. This is considered to be one of the best spring/damper combinations for the 90 series.
AnswerID: 410157

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:55

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:55
Yep, had a 2000 prado petrol, did my research and King Springs were the way to go, tried and tested on Prado's. Unless you are towing something heavy or seriously bush bashing, the consensus back in those days was the OEM equipment was fine, just change the springs.
FollowupID: 680076

Reply By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:54

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:54
G'day Wherehegon,
After my original 1Hz 80 ser suspension had sagged after 6 years and reduced my ground clearance, I went to Pedders. I had foam shockers and springs fitted for $1300 in 2002. Now 8 yrs down the track after copping a fair bit of rubbishing about pedders stuff, they are still going strong. Since fitting i have travelled Cape, canning, Simpson 3 times, Tas incl West coast, High Country heaps of times. I had one shocker break off the front diff in the high Country and we welded it back on with batteries, and it is still there. The foam shocks can take a fair bit of denting without affecting their performance.
On the Cape and canning trips I was really impressed with the shockers when we hit deep bulldust holes and you think - this is going to be nasty - and it floated over no problems.
BUT -
Their workmanship is atrocious. I instructed them to fit lock nuts (not nylox) on the shocker rubbers. I have shredded a few. At Mt Dare i chenged the top front ones in 20 minutes. However when i got home and decided to change the bottom ones they had fitted nuts with the wrong thread, probably with an air gun and i had to cut them off. They repaired the shocker for free.
They did a crap job on my sway bars, tigthened so tight it wouldn't flex and ripped off the mounts.
Warranty - they do stand by their work and even after 8 years supplied me replacement sway bar rubbers free.
Initially I explained the work the shockers would be doing and they gave me black rubber bushes for the shockers - i shredded them in a couple of thousand k's. They supplied their red poly type bushes (free) and they have lasted well. Canning corrugations are legendary.
This is another subject you ask 10 people and get 12 answers. So my Pedders suspension has lasted longer then the original Toyota.

Hope this helps,
Bill
AnswerID: 410162

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:02

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:02
MyHj80 came with Pedders 2"lift kit
I have not had the vehicle long but last weekend I did some reasonably serious 4 wheel driving and found them to be ok

Vehicle sits level side to side slightly tail high which is ok for towing

Dont know how long they have been on the vehicle but they are certainly not new.
Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 410163

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:05

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:05
Hi Steve,

I have Pedders Track rider long travel shocks and springs fitted to my 80 series. They also fitted airbags and did a few other bits and pieces. There gear is excellent value and works well in my opinion. I had tried tjm, ome and ironman shockies(ironman lasted less than three months, replaced under warranty but failed again!). I tow a van and am fully loaded all the time as we are travelling around aus at the moment. I cant fault it.

Hope this helps

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410170

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:30

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:30
Put pedders on a Camry, springs and shocks, all the work done by them.

Rides like a dog and I won't deal with them ever again.
AnswerID: 410176

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:35

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:35
I reckon that it depends on what branch you go to. In some places the workmanship will be good, in others not so good. I have used them on a few occasions and found them a bit on the dear side but the actual product has been OK for me.
Mike
AnswerID: 410181

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 20:11

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 20:11
Same here. I had a Brisbane Pedders change some trailing arm bushes for my QLD safety certificate earlier this year and they were a pleasure to deal with, I'd definitely go back there if I needed any other work done.

We got the sheet with 'you need x, x, and x done' though... apparently my (Monroe) shocks are leaking oil (stuffed if I can find any leaks, and the shocks feel just fine) and my steering damper is cactus (don't know how they tested this either as they didn't remove it from the car). I guess they will always try to get you in for something else too- it just would have been good if they chose bits that were broken! :)
FollowupID: 680130

Reply By: SteveL - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:33

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:33
My GQ had only recently been fitted with Pedders springs and foam cell shocks when I bought it.The were OK on road (ride was a bit harsh though).Off road they were appalling.The front end would bounce skyward at the sight of any sort of pot-hole.
They were replaced with Lovells Springs and OME shocks which were a huge improvement on and off road.There are probably even better combinations around than this.
AnswerID: 410209

Reply By: rosso1234 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:21

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:21
As they are all owner/operated you are gunna get different views of them. MY personal opinion of my contact with them, OVER PRICED, UNDER KNOWLAGE and ARROGENT to boot. My $$$$$ went to Tough Dog gear.

Cheers
AnswerID: 410239

Follow Up By: Dave... Adelaide (SA - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:33

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:33
Sorry Rosso
Pedders suspension are NOT all owner operated...how do l know this?? My son is Assistant manager of a pedders store..

As for their suspension packages, I have Pedders all round on my 2003 Prado and i am completely satisfied with it...You need to realize that there are quite a few different Pedders suspension packages available and you may not choose the right one straight up...With Pedders they do give you the choice of changing if you are not happy with your first choice...Not to say that means you can use their gear for a trip to the Cape and then decide you dont like it....

Cheers......Dave
FollowupID: 680127

Follow Up By: rosso1234 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:38

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:38
Happy with the mates rates! lol Ya sneeky Koont :)
FollowupID: 680128

Follow Up By: Dave... Adelaide (SA - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:23

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:23
Hey Rosso....
You remind me so much of a fella that used to be on here .....Strange though...i always thought your name was Stefan???.......Stefan Pryor i believe??

Oh well never mind, if it is you i suppose the Mods will pick up on it sooner or later...

FollowupID: 681389

Sponsored Links