Alpine Walk - EASTER

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:04
ThreadID: 77135 Views:3935 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. I'm a newbie here so be gentle! ;-)

I live in VIC and my partner and I would like to do some camping during Easter and take some long day treks in and around the Howqua region (but we're flexible where we camp coz we dont really know the area too well).

We dont have a 4WD, so we're quite limited as to how far we can go into the bushes.

My question is:

1. Can anyone recommend where we can go that is relatively quiet during the EASTER period (we have our own backpacks and tents but relatively novices)? We are willing to rough it a bit .. so electricity and mod cons are not necessarily a criteria. We want to be able to setup camp, and then take some long trails on Sat and Sun (say 6-7 hr walks). Ideally, it would have to be accessible for 2WD vehicles only but if it requires a 4WD, then still put it down in case i can find access to a 4WD.

2. Does anyone know of any operator that has a 4WD, that is willing to act like a taxi driver? Drop me off somewhere and then come back in a couple of days to pickup again?

Thanks all......!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WayneD - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:29

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:29
Dont know much about walking in Vic although have driven many tracks in the high country. Wife and I recently did some walks in the Kozi NP which were very enjoyable. You could camp around the huts like Geehi, you may need to walk across the river to get to it, but your will get you to the camp ground before the crossing. You would also be able to drive to the chair lift at Thredbo and walk to the summit of mount Kozi or do the dead horse gap walk, suggest walk down from the top of the chairlift and along the Thredbo river back to Thredbo, thats a good days walk and there are a couple of isolated spots to camp up in the mountain along the dead horse track if you wanted to stay overnight.
Dont forget to take warm clothes as it can turn nasty very quickly.
Very pretty and great places to explore the great outdoors.
AnswerID: 410175

Reply By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:36

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:36
Popular spots in the High Country (especially those accessible by 2WD, like Sheepyard Flat (Howqua), Howitt Hut, Wellington River, Bennies, Lake Cobbler, Talbotville etc) can be like Bourke St over Easter.

If you want relative quiet, you will probably need to look for a bush camp site (ie no toilets or other facilities). They are much easier to find on 4WD tracks than 2WD roads. However you could try the Moroka Rd (from which you can do many excellent walks); while the idyllic camping area at Horseyard Flat will be packed, you may be able to find a bush camp site along (or just off) the road. Just drive along the road and keep your eye out. While a 4WD would give you more options you should still be able to find a spot somewhere along there in your car.

For a start, I suggest you download the relevant park notes (e.g. for the Alpine NP and Howqua Hills HA) from (Parks Victoria). For camping suggestions, see Lewis and Savage, Camping Guide to Victoria. Also look at bushwalking books (e.g. Take a Walk in Vic NPs, Day Walks in Vic, Bushwalks In The Victorian Alps, Australian Alps Walking Track, etc). Good maps like Bush Maps or Rooftop maps or the new VicMap series are also essential. You will probably find it worthwhile visiting a good map shop or bushwalking shop.
(Reading up in anticipation is half the fun.)

To answer your second question, Mountain-Top Experience offers 4WD transport for walkers.

Enjoy your Easter,
Des
AnswerID: 410197

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:17

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:17
Hi Henry

Being quiet & 2wd and in Howqua is a bit tricky at Easter, thats why we will be having a camping event at our own place , but there are 3 good camping areas with walking tracks along the Howqua river rd .
Sheepyard flat etc has the lot but will be very busy.
But does it matter if your off walking all day ?

Further along (west) is Tobacco flat , less busy but you really should have 4wd for it. Its a really great spot.

Easier access for 2wd is Running crk just 4 km off Woods point rd up Howqua river rd, but you would still need to get in early.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410208

Reply By: stevieaus - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:33

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:33
you can walk to ritchie's hut right along the howqua (about 6.5km) and you can stay in the hut as well, you don't need a 4wd to get to the start point, the road in is suitable for any vehicles.
AnswerID: 410210

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:00

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:00
Plenty of options along the Howqua valley for 2wd access camping from Sheepyard flat to 8 mile flat. Continuing along Brocks Rd there a more camps on the Jamieson river.
From there you have walks along the Bridle trail that follows the Howqua river all the way from Macs Cove to Bindaree Hut. Parking at Rocky Knob or Refrigerator gap you can climb up onto the Bluff & Mt Eadley Stoney. Mt McDonald & the Knobs are great walks too although a little harder.
Being Easter it will be busy but as people are generally lazy you'll have most of the hiking tracks to yourselves ;-)
Cheers Craig...........................
AnswerID: 410265

Follow Up By: henryl - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:28

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:28
I'm a little confused, with a 2WD, from Sheepyard Flat ... how far east can I drive? Can I drive all the way to 8 mile flat?

So can I just park my car at Sheepyard Flat? And just leave it there locked up?

Hmm and I cant see how I can get from 8 mile to Jamieson? Is that driving or walking?

Thanks again....
FollowupID: 680159

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:58

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:58
The route from Merrigij to Sheepyard Flat then up the Howqua valley to 8 mile flat is a good 2wd gravel dirt road in all weather. It is possible to continue driving a 2wd up Brocks Road as far as the upper Jamieson River (not Jamieson town) or turn off at 8 mile gap and get as far as the turn off to The Bluff. These are old logging roads & were used to haul timber out on semis to Mansfield. From there the tracks heading East are a little steeper & have a few errosion ditches which will stop a 2wd.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 680165

Follow Up By: henryl - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:19

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:19
Sorry to bug you again. I have been researching and have one quick question. If I drive all the way to 8 mile... where do i park my car? Is it okay to park there and then take my backpack and walk a little further to find a bush camp?

Thanks
FollowupID: 680757

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:14

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:14
From memory there is a gravel quarry on the side of the main rd you could park or down to the river flats. Plenty of space & no doubt a few others would be doing the same walking up the bridle trail.
Cheers Craig..................
FollowupID: 680772

Reply By: henryl - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:13
Thanks so much everyone.... i'm still digesting the information you've given me. I'd really like to spend some time in and around sheepyard flat and eight mile... I will have to work out whether my car can get in there safely (i have low profile tyres on my 2WD).

I dont need it to be absolutely quiet - in fact, i prefer if there were some people around (in case i need help ;-) )

Thanks all!!
AnswerID: 410268

Sponsored Links