I Pod connection to car radio

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:22
ThreadID: 77143 Views:3016 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i have recently purchased an Apple I Pod but have no idea how to connect / tune it to the car radio.There is no MP 3 connection on the radio.Any ideas where can i purchase the set up required.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SteveL - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:41

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:41
You will need an FM transmitter with an ipod connection. Dick Smith has them ,just buy a good quality one as many of the cheapies are not too good.
AnswerID: 410198

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:41

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:41
Dick Smith or similar can sell you a cig plug transmitter that will send your ipod to your radio by tuning to a fm frequency, make sure you get one that also charges your ipod at the same time. If you are familiar with Ebay you can buy cheaper
there. cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 410199

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:45

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 15:45
If your car Radio system can play audio cassettes you could purchase a device that connects from I Pod to cassette.
This sort of device....Link

Or this one

Link

Or you could simply take your player into a Dick Smith and buy one there.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410200

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:03

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 16:03
if you go to one of the radio instalers in your town he should be able to run a wire for you from the radio and leave it in the glove box as i have done for the I pod, and i have had it done to all my cars and the Tojo
FollowupID: 680093

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:15

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:15
If the connection can be 'hard wired' into your existing stereo, the sound quality is better, particularly if you are able to use the connection at the bottom of the iPod, rather than the earphone outlet or an FM transmitter.

Many stereos have RCA inputs at their rear and you will only know when you remove the set from the car. An adaptor is available that connects the iPod to the RCA inputs of the stero, which also has charging facilities via the cigarette lighter.

This is what I did and it works v ery well, though I have an aftermarket stereo in the Toyota.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 410212

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:49

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 17:49
Having gone down the same road, I found it better to get a new radio (from Supacheap) with an auxiliary jack on the front to plug into my mp3 player. Got a good Pioneer unit for under$100.
I tried 2 different fm connectors and neither was good enough. I am told that the position of the cars antenna is one of a number of factors that is different in different cars that makes these variable. Then I tried a unit that plugged in via the tape deck, but that wasn't much good either. These also seem to work better in some decks than others. So it was an expensive trip before I decided just to change the radio.
AnswerID: 410220

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 18:21

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 18:21
Yep I agree!!!
Ive also been down that road....just make sure what you buy is compatible with your player.
Alpine and Ipod are compatible and your music list will show up on your head unit...BUT!!!! Some models wont play other brands MP3s.....
Be careful and take your time choosing.

Cheers
FollowupID: 680115

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 18:15

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 18:15
was going to say the same as the fewster...

It's probably easier to get a new radio with an IPOD connector (either front or glovebox) as you'll sooner or later get cheesed with the sound quality/interference form those FM connectors.

Just a word of caution - some of the new IPOD compatible radio may not recognise the old gen IPOD's ... as long as yours is new - won't be an issue
FollowupID: 680254

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:03

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:03
I think (but I may be wrong) that all mp3 players will play through an auxilliary jack via the headphones outlet. What they don't all do is allow you to control anything through the radio unit controls. As Hairy says, if you want to control tracks etc you either need to get a unit that is compatible with your mp3 player. Alternatively you control them from the mp3 player. But of course mp3 screens/controls are a bit awkward if you are driving. As the dedicated radio units are much more expensive, I am happy with a non dedicated unit with an auxiliary jack on the front and either leave the missus in charge of music (or recorded novels) or set up a playlist before I go and just turn on the playlist before I start driving, or (what I do mostly) just put it on shuffle. It all depends on how much you want to change tracks etc while you are driving.
AnswerID: 410237

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:05

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 19:05
My daughter is visiting and has thousands of songs on her iPod, she connects a small 'device' a bit wider than the iPod and about 5cm deep, throws the iPod in the glovebox and then tunes my radio to FM 99.9 and it plays all her songs through my stereo system in the car, a bloody lot louder than I'm used to as well.
(is this what you mean ??)

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 410238

Reply By: jeep cherokee - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:49

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:49
Wow, many thanks for all the replys.I really appreciate them, now know in which direction to go in .
Thanks again.
AnswerID: 410298

Sponsored Links