Insurance

Submitted: Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:01
ThreadID: 7719 Views:1995 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I called the NRMA about my damaged GQ Patrol. The damage was done when the tyre blew and took off the mud flap, flair and covers over the fuel filler part inside the wheel arch. I have had insurance with them since 83 and have the highest no claim bonus. To my supprise the first time I talked to them last night they said they would not cover it. AAMI said if I was insured with them they would cover it. I called NRMA back and they said they would but I would loose 10% of my no claim bonus. AAMI said that would not affect my no claim bonus. Does anyone have an insurance company they think is good?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:06

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:06
NO!!!Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 33354

Reply By: Andi - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:11

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:11
Sorry to say thet NRMA were great until RACV took em over. I left RACV years ago when they didnt belive that there was such a thing as a petrol 62 series landcruiser and that I would have to produce an engineers report to satisyfy them that it was factory built!!!!
AAMI will insure you and give you all sorts of wonderful insurance otpions: like agreed value (ie we will agree you have modificvations and we will agree to tell you what we think they are worth when you have an accident and make a claim)
Lifetime rating 1 (untill you make a right off claim and themn you cannot get reinsured by us in your lifetime again) and other exciting things.
Not a lot of help but I prefer to stick with the devil I know RACV (EX-NRMA here in VIC)
AnswerID: 33357

Follow Up By: Ken - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:15

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:15
I am afraid that is what I thought as well.
FollowupID: 23904

Follow Up By: barnsy - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:32

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:32
Sorry Have to disagree with you there....

I had a complete write off last year with AAMI, my 97 SR5 Hilux was written off by my wife(her fault) we had agreed value - they assesed it wrote it off and we had a cheque in under 10 days, found a new one same value and re insured with them with our rating one still in tact

No problems at all, I,m not sticking up for insurance companies as I have heard all the horror stories, but I cannot complain about the service we got and so i re insured with them Did not cost us any xtra either.
FollowupID: 23908

Follow Up By: barnsy - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:35

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:35
Sorry forgot to say we got exactly what the agreed value said and they let me have accesories that I had put on the vehicle that were not on the policy as i had only just put them on the vehicle as we only had it 5 months

FollowupID: 23909

Reply By: Andi - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 18:19

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 18:19
Barnsy
I am happy for your fortune at a time of misfortune. I was offering up comments (smart arse as they were) on information we were given when we went to insure my wifes VX Commodore two years ago. The girl on the phone was even surprised at the stipulations which were going to be on the policy as she had never really looked into it, AND SHE WORKS FOR THEM. Maybe they have better cover for four wheelers, or they have changed their phone info over the last two years.
AnswerID: 33362

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:21

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 21:21
Im with BJ.

No such thing as a "GOOD" insurance company. they are all Leeches, get what they can out of you, and then stretch it out as long as they can to give it to you back.
AnswerID: 33388

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 09:43

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 09:43
Hi Ken, like Barnsey my experience with AAMI was a very good one. I wrote of my troopy a couple of years ago on a dirt track up in the Vic High country. Rang AAMI, had it assessed the next day and they wrote it off.
We then went through all the add on’s and accessories and nutted out a value for each item –seats, CB, winch, storage units wheels, tow bar, even the mesh radiator screen –“everything!” Agreed on the total value and they they had the wreck valued by the auction mob's.I then bought back the “wreck” for the salvage price, had it repaired, took it back to them, they checked it out and reinsured it. I received a cheque for the difference within 7 days and I didn’t loose my maximum no claim bonus.

I have heard some horror stories, but I certainly can’t complain with the service I received. I personally think it has a lot to do with the person your dealing with and how you deal with them.

Just relating my experience
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 33415

Follow Up By: Ken - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:01

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:01
I have talked to AAMI twice now and they are happy to answer my questions and agree to a value. I have just spent $2K on new suspension and that will never be covered by NRMA. I will make a decission at the end of the week but I feel a move from NRMA to AAMI is the best thing for me.
FollowupID: 24076

Follow Up By: landie - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 17:27

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 17:27
Ken

I am with NRMA and have many after market modifications, including suspension rear diff locks etc, and this has all been accepted and noted on my policy.

All agreed value.

Landie
FollowupID: 24243

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 21:34

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 21:34
Just stay away from Allianz. They are the worst for paying out claims. My brother-in-law is still waiting for his payout on a stolen vehicle from over 2 years ago. It's in the courts at the moment.
AnswerID: 33441

Follow Up By: Hilly - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 23:09

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 23:09
I had excellent service from Allianz. Did a radiator in a river crossing out near Nhulunbuy. They organised a tow truck from Katherine to make the 600km round trip and the repairs were done as soon as we arrived back in town, Cost me my agreed $100 excess and no loss of no-claim bonus. I was happy. Still with them today.
FollowupID: 24062

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:47

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:47
Hilly ... That's good to hear. I'm starting to believe that your success or otherwise with an insurer all depends on who you are fortunate enough or unfortunate enough to get when assessing your claim.

In my brother-in-law's case, the insurance was taken out via a broker and the assessor for the theft was an Allianz contractor. The car stolen was a Subaru WRX, stolen whilst parked outside a night club. The club's bouncers approached the the thieves to stop them, and the thieves pulled guns on the bouncers. All on surveillance tape, and Allianz refuse to pay out.
FollowupID: 24109

Reply By: Hatcher - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:44

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:44
When I first insured with BRA Thomas (ARB Insurance) I had to send an agents fee cheque for $33 on top of the premium as I elected to pay by the month. Anyway, a month or so passed and I was notified by the agents that they had not received my cheque. A few days later I rear-ended a Holden Vectra (ever noticed that a large number of Holdens don't have working brake lights?)

My first reaction was "Oh, CRAP" (or something like that) I'm not insured! I rang BRA and explained the situation with the stray cheque and they said it was not a problem, go and have the damage evaluated with the repairer of my choice, make sure you send us the cheque and we'll take care of the rest. I couldn't beleive it! My truck was repaired (around $4000 worth) and my no claim bonus was not affected.

Little wonder I'm still with BRA (or whatever they call themselves nowdays) after 5 years.
AnswerID: 33550

Reply By: Ken - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:30

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:30
I have now made a claim against my NRMA policy. The chap at the workshop was biased towards NRMA although he is not a NRMA recommended repairer. The estimate is about $1,500.00 worth of damage. So much for it not being that bad. I will go from a 60% no claim down to 55% in January when it is up for renewal. As of April this year NRMA introduced a maximum no claim bonus of 65% with lifetime recognition. As I now have made a claim this will not be offered to me in January but I will have to wait two years. As I only took out this policy in January of this year none of my previous policies are taken into account. So not making a claim with them since I started in 1982 is not relevant. It seems they work on a policy by policy basis. So much for loyalty. I will probably stick with NRMA but when the policy comes up for renewal I will be adding the new suspension and see if I can get an agreed value from them.
AnswerID: 33875

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 16:43

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 16:43
Just add the new suspension anyway, it will probably save you a claim or two. Tell them once you have done it. If they want to keep your business they will talk, if they don't you're no better/worse off than you would have been come renewal time. Try Elders for insurance, seemed very helpful and knowledgable about WHY we do modifications (deal with lots of farmers doing that same things for the same reasons).
FollowupID: 24381

Sponsored Links