wondering what internet to buy ?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:12
ThreadID: 77191 Views:4819 Replies:11 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
getting really excitied now as we have renters coming in our home in less then 2 weeks and thats means ....Australia here we come.
I have been told to buy telsta internet but not too sure which product. The kids will need to do some schooling via the internet and we want to catch up with Family and friends but dont expect to be on it all the time. Can you tell me which is the best product to buy ? I went to telsta website and there is a few ??
Many thanks again,
Happy Dayz, Ozmum (",).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Navara Navvy - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:49

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:49
What a wonderful feeling you must have and "good on ya". The internet account is much of a muchness across the the providers. Service wise Westnet is terrific and if you strike a snag they will be there to sort it out. As part of IInet they are a bigger concern and have the products for you to decide upon and will actually have a real person help you decide. Telstra is good as well but they are not so hot on the service side as the people are not necessarily as focussed and in my dealings a bit "remote" from the issue. As I live in the country I use Westnet for my satellite broadband and Telstra for my phone. Hope this helps and enjoy the new phase of your life, the kids will benefit from the experience no end.
AnswerID: 410400

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:24

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:24
I agree about Westnet service, but you will not recieve WB out side of larger towns.....YET, I live about 90 K's from Darwin and it is not available here....YET.
The only service is Bigpond WB

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680318

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:52

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:52
Yes, I believe WESTNET is the best Net

Service and ability to be able to communicate effectively is the key for new people and I can assure you that Westnet will be able to do anything telstra can and in words you will be able to understand too, spoken by a person born an bred locally with-out an accent that you don't understand.

If there is a waiting time they phone you back, so you don't have to wait on line, a real benefit when your on your mobile with no way of charging the battery and costing you 20c per 1/2 minute just to listen to a Telstra add telling you how good they are grrr.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 680352

Follow Up By: kingswoodwagon - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 00:08

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 00:08
Ive been a big supporter of Westnet for many years now.

Westnet uses the Optus Network for their Wireless Broadband.

In my case - our town recently got Optus Mobile phone coverage, but this doesn't include Wireless Broadband coverage.
I made inquiries about other nearby town that have also received Optus coverage lately and they dont have Wireless Broadband coverage either.

Westnet Wireless Broadband is for not for W.A.'s north west. (Yet).

FollowupID: 680480

Reply By: justmyage - Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:54

Thursday, Mar 25, 2010 at 23:54
Hi Dayz
We are travelling and I find my Telstra wireless the best .I have a modem that justs fits into a usb outlet, however I did buy an exterior aerial which boosts the signal. I signed for 2yrs and got the 1st year half price but you will have to check what deals are going at the moment . I was advised wireless was the best for travelling .
Hope this helps . Happy travels hope to see you around somewhere .
Geoff.
AnswerID: 410401

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:37

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:37
Geoff, I have the same as you, im currently on my second year. Go to the web site if you have not already they have a great bargain for 3g you can change over easily. My extension Velcro's to the lid of my lap top using the usb extension cable that came with the unit. We use to be with Westnet but when we started our nomadic life style the mobile units were not available at the time.
Now they have a small box that can run more than one wireless unit at the same time a bit like the ones in homes. Technology isn't it great. (small box) sorry I do not know the correct terminology.

Sharon
FollowupID: 680366

Reply By: D200Dug- Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:18

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:18
There is a rumor I have heard ( perhaps someone can confirm or deny this ) that wireless internet connection is much cheaper if you are living in remote areas of Australia.

I have again heard that some people buy a short basic plan untill they live in a remote town for a while where they access the cheaper connections.

AnswerID: 410406

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:27

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:27
The best Wireless Broadband for coverage is Telstra's Bigpond Wireless, don't even think about Testra Wireless Pre-paid, it's CRAP,
I know the users of it will scald me for saying that but I have used it on someone else's Laptop , it was painfully slow compared to Bigpond,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 410407

Follow Up By: rosso1234 - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:00

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:00
it all goes over the same 850 mhz network, unless you are talking about satelite service for Bigpond, which you should have mentioned.

As for speeds I have reached a peak of 6mbs per sec with average speeds of 2-3 mbs on prepaid.

how fast do you need?
FollowupID: 680335

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 07:08

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 07:08
They might have improved it over the 13 months since I tried it, and not only that the plan he was on would cost a fortune , and why for Pete's sake would I need to mention Satellite , they will be on the move travelling Australia. go read the rules.

•Separate dwellings on a single farming property,
•Retirement villages or nursing homes,
•A caravan permanently located in a caravan park or a boat (but only in a nominated home port and only when technology makes delivery of the service possible).
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680339

Follow Up By: rosso1234 - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:48

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:48
while I'm reading the rules, for this hypothetical slip, you go read the technical specs for the said product and realize you were advising the WRONG info and we will call it even, or you could just sook and run away from the forum and vow never to return AGAIN! hahahahahaha

Being wrong does bother you doesn't it

Have a nice Day Douggy
FollowupID: 680393

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:58

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:58
I don't know where you get the idea I was wrong, let me say 2 things, 1 I'm not afraid to admit when or if I'm wrong, it seems you don't know well, 2 the forum is is www. meaning it's a world wide web site that people all over the world can view , to set an example to those people the Forum is not the place to conduct a heated debate.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680396

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:02

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:02
WWW.................World Wide Wait if Telstra is involved
FollowupID: 680426

Follow Up By: offaroundOz - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:41

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:41
I value "everybody's" opinion thanks guys.
What a great help you have all been. Im am sooo looking forward to heading off really soon.
Take care and stay safe,
Ozmum (",)
FollowupID: 680458

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:39

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:39
Ive been using telstra wireless internet when travelling for over 6 years. I have a box full of outdated telstra/bigpond wireless devices. The USB devices I have cant be re-used - once the plan is terminated.

Ive recently bought the Bigpond Elite Network Gateway and this is by far the best modem Ive bought from them. Ive not needed to consider the external antenna - although one can be attached. I dont get random disconnections and the speed is very consistant and fast enough for video calls.

Also the plans have dropped in recent months - I'm getting 3GB/Month for $30.

The 12volt modem runs off my campers power supply.

Have fun.

AnswerID: 410408

Follow Up By: Member - Morry H (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 01:11

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 01:11
We have just come back after traveling around australia for 14 mths. As far as the Telstra rural phone goes if their internet is as bad as their phone support then all I can say is I wish you luck.

We have got more results from our laptop with and (dont laugh ) when we got back we went up to geraldton and went with dodo for 20.00 for 60 days. On free parking sites we had no phone many times yet we had internet on the laptop.

So as far as that guy on telstra ad on TV saying that they have a 97% coverage around australia. That is all wrong. But that is my personal opinion only good luck. Eileen
FollowupID: 680329

Follow Up By: Member - Don M- Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:59

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:59
I'm with you Kinswoodwagon, I have the Elite Gateway and it is the best way, especially if you have kids home schooling...,assuming you have more that one laptop.

My wife and I both play/research on our computers...no, not during the day.., and therefore the Turbo modem isn't any good for us. For those that are not sure of the differences, The Turbo Modem is a USB device that plugs into your computer and gets its power supply from the computer.

The Elite Gateway, is a stand alone modem, the same as your home modem except that it is wireless in and wireless out although you can hard wire to your computer if you wish. in my case it plugs into 240v either in the caravan or portable inverter when on 12v.

I might say however that I feel ripped off as I am paying $49.95/month on a year contract and have only had it for 3 weeks, so how did you get yours for $30/month..., I may go and complain. I don't want a 2 year contract as we are off overseas for 6 months or so when we get back from our trip around the block.
FollowupID: 680336

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:43

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:43
Don, have a look on Telstra web site. The new fees have not been in for long.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 680368

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:51

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:51
Sorry Don your correct.
Moving along now.
FollowupID: 680370

Follow Up By: kingswoodwagon - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 23:54

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 23:54
Don,

The plan I'm on is the $49.95 and there is a "BigPond Wireless Multiple Product Holding Benefit" discount of $10 and "BigPond Wireless Member Benefit" discount of $10. This for the whole 2 year contract.

I don't quite understand what those are but there to do with my Telstra mobile plan and a Telstra landline.

FollowupID: 680478

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:31

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:31
TO Morry H

Get your facts straight Telstra DONT say they cover 97% of the country

They say they cover 99% of the POPULATION

and as most of them live in about 10% of the area of the country is a totally different thing.

It could be your phone is a city model and wont pick up in fringe areas.

I have an Iphone and a Nokia 6120 and the Nokia will connect where the Iphone wont but the modem will as well

I have been travelling for 12 months and using a Telstra 5 gig plan for $89

Now they have prepaid for much cheaper I woiuld use that.

You can just buy a sim card and use it in whatever modem that takes it.

I use an old Bigpond home modem that has been unlocked and it beats the USB ones hands down.

People confuse the issue with references to Bigpond and Telstra.

Whilst they are the same company they are in competition with each other.

When you have a TELSTRA connection you connect automatically.

With a Bigpond acct you usually have to have a login name and a password.

Hence the different pricing which TELSTRA PREPAID has reduced from FEB 18th last..

Also a Telstra USB modem can be reused but a Bigpond one cant.

I have changed the sim cards in the one I had and it still connects.

However it was hopeless out of cities so I got the old Maxon one and all was good. Have lent it to friends who are on their trip and just changed Sims and away they went.

FollowupID: 680494

Follow Up By: Member - Don M- Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:35

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:35
Graham,

The prepaid Telstra USB modem is not cheaper than Bigpond

Telstra 3Gb $60 and lasts 30 days
6Gb $100 and lasts 30 days

Bigpond 3Gb Plan $49.95 per month
6Gb plan $79.95 per month

And I seem to be always disagreeing with you but Telstra and Bigpond are one in the same. Just go on to their website (Telstra) and in one case, you go to Telstra prepaid wireless broadband, then click on the main Wireless Broadband link and you get taken straight to Bigpond Elite. Probably because Telstra don't market the full Elite Gateway and rely on USB modems for business and leave Bigpond to take up the domestic, if thats the word, market.

And the Elite comes in two forms, the Elite gateway and the Turbo Elite USB, both have faster download speed than the standard turbo modem and the Telstra USB pre paid. I had a Telstra prepaid USB but I found I was forever topping it up so gave that to my daughter.

I now have the Elite gateway and it is faster than my previous cable modem that I had at home. (cable in/wireless out) and certainly faster than a previous ADSL modem I had previously.

And I don't need a password to connect incidentally.
FollowupID: 680504

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:16

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:16
Firstly I did not say Telstra was cheaper than Bigpond

I said the Telstra Prepaid is now cheaper than what I was using.

Telstra wireless internet and Bigpond are NOT the same.

Whlist they do use the same network they are different entities.

You can buy Telstra wireless through the Telstra mobile section and they are data packs.

You can buy wireless internet through Bigpond which is different.

My account comes from Telstra and has nothing to do with Bigpond at all.

If you want to talk to someone about problems with TELSTRA wireless,

Bigpond cant help you I know, been there done that.

You have to talk to TELSTRA mobile support

When my friends went in to get a new sim card for my old modem we bought a TELSTRA sim NOT A BIGPOND one. We had the choice of either

When i was having trouble with my ZTE TELSTRA USB modem i took it to ZTE

in Melbourne and asked what was the difference between the Telstra and

Bigpond modems and the prepaid models.

The answer was that they have different firmware and will not work with each others sim cards.

Like wise my Maxon Bigpond home modem. It was locked to Bigpond and wouldnt work on Telstra so we hacked the software and now it works with any sim on any network.

It uses Minimax Connection Manager and the choice of connection is to Telstra internet or 2 different Telstra Data pack connections NO BIGPOND

So does that explain it for you.

Telstra as a compamy is big Dadday Bigpond and Telstra internet are cousins but related to Big Daddy

Why woulkd someone on a trip want a plan unless they are going to continue with exorbitant charges when the get home as to get Bigponds charges that you quote you generally have to sign up for two years.

I might be slow but Im not stupid

There are heaps better deals than anything Telstra can offer for home use.

Most for instance only charge for downloads

Telstra or Bigpond if you like charge for both up and down so effectively you get less for your money.

FollowupID: 680508

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 14:45

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 14:45
I must aplogise for the error I made above

It was BIGPOND prepaid which reduced their prices on 18th FEB

Telstra have also altered theirs but not as good as Bigpond.

Humblest apologies

FollowupID: 682567

Reply By: johntoyo - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:52

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 00:52
Hi, I cannot say Telstra is the only way to go but for coverage it's very difficult to beat. (mobile towers)

I have a USB wireless broadband device. Use it home in my desktop (black spot south of Perth) and then away in my Van on the laptop. Device has external antenna connection capability so specify that. Stronger signal strength = speed.

I have not been bush and up to now have never not had a connection in 18 months.

As has been mentioned by others if you sign up for a fixed plan first 12mths at half price and device for free.
Currently 3GB down load for $49.95mth after your introductory period. Price is coming down and usage is increasing with competition.

It would appear Bigpond and Telstra compete for your buisness in the WB market, so get in there an make sure they give you the device that suits your needs and service you deserve.

External antenas, patch cables etc are plentiful through third party suppliers without costing the earth.

Enjoy your journeys, I would love to be right behind you, but that will come.
AnswerID: 410409

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 09:03

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 09:03
Bigpond Next G is what we use when travelling.

However, I reckon coverage is about 50% of where we travel in central Oz and western Qld.

Have external modem running off 240v, but power that off the car using an invertor.

Run the office through it doing wages and emails, but plan to be in range at least once a week to do this. Sometimes we might be out of range for a couple of weeks or three, and plan around it.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wife doing the wages off the back seat in Booroloola, NT, at the boat ramp (best Next G reception).
AnswerID: 410440

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:34

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 15:34
What ever plan you choose Ozmum, you will need Next G Broadband. You will get reception within 20 flat kilometres of most towns, and all along major eastern seaboard highways. We have an external antenna which i put on the caravan roof to help with signal. If you are using Camps Australia Wide 5, the camp grounds listed have a symbol to show where Next G reception is available and i found this a good guide. There is also the Telstra map

Next G coverage map

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 410498

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:58

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:58
You see that is the point. You can all go on about this plan and that but at the end of the day if you want access in the most remote places - mostly, you need a next G option. It may suck but that the point of Telstra. Bigpond get to use there nextwork and there will be additional deals with other providers soon.
FollowupID: 682607

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 16:02

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 16:02
One fo the best places to get an unbias view of what internet is Click here

If you are touring then wireless is the way to go an dthe selection criteria will assist you there.

Good luck
AnswerID: 410501

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 16:04

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 16:04
Wireless selection here

Forgot to include the wirless selection area.
FollowupID: 680398

Reply By: Mike Taylor - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:50

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:50
Hi Ozmum,

You may have already purchased something by now but thought I would add my two sense worth. There are a lot of options available to you and what might be best for you may not be best for someone else. I am only 10 weeks into my journey around Australia and so far we have identified that Telstra are providing the best coverage. Optus and a lot of the other carriers are only available in major cities and as Telstra has the best coverage I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Secondly then deciding pre-paid or plan, will all depend on how much you plan on using it. If the kids are consistently on the internet then a plan would be best, however if it's an on again off again approach maybe pre-paid. If you plan on going a month of two without using the internet there's no point paying for it.

I hope this helps settle some confusion.

regards,
Mike

Juniorgreys travel site
AnswerID: 412509

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:05

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:05
Next G telstra/bigpond 3gig for $49 per mth , more coverage than ANY other company , not much point in going with a company that may be cheaper but has no coverage , the next G will work where others simply dont.
AnswerID: 412514

Sponsored Links