GPS mapping

I have a Magellan Gold GPS. Is it possible to fit raster or vector mapping cards to an older unit like this and if so is it practical to do so. Cheers Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:55

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:55
Have a look here, it gives a bit of info that may help.

http://gpsinformation.net/userviews/gold.htm
AnswerID: 410461

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:57

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:57
I to have a Magellan Meridian Gold, and I could not see that it could work as it would need a program to run it...I just put in an SD card with raster maps and Oziexplorer and it did not want to play. The thing I have done is to put Magellan DiscoverAus on my lap top and can run it using my GPS mouse.
But a great unit the old Meridian Gold, if it was only had a bigger screen and in colour would out do the Nuvi 760 and I have one of those as well.
AnswerID: 410462

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:36

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:36
Try this SITE has lots of info on Meridian.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410465

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:43

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:43
Hi

It is not possible use raster maps on a Meridian Gold (or any Meridian). They would look a bit sad anyway as the screen is only greyscale. Magellan have provided support for raster images with the newer Triton series GPS units. You can also "unlock" some Tritons to run OziExplorerCe. There are a range of other brand GPS units that use raster maps these days so if you are interested in updating have a good look around.

DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks (DAST) originally came on CD and later on SD card for use with Meridians. Neither of these products are available anymore though you may get a second hand copy somewhere. The newer units (explorist and tritons) use a different format of map which is not compatible with the meridian.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410636

Sponsored Links