Explorer Fridge Freezer

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 772 Views:8107 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can i have reviews please of the Explorer fridge freezer made by Ian in Maryborough, the one with the marine grade aluminium casing and the dual thermostat for the fridge and freezer compartments - i know the Danfoss motor they use well but am interested in the operation of the freezer as to the fridge - I understand the freezer thermostat overrides the fridge thermostat - so like what is the potential to freeze what's in the fridge by turning up the freezer ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
Porl,
We have had a 54 l (30 l fridge/20 l freezer)model for about a year now. I am not sure about the freezer overriding the fridge, but will say that it took awhile for us to workout the best settings. The thing we like about it is you can take plenty of fresh meat and not have the worry of it thawing and spoiling every thing in the fridge. The only down side is it has extremely heavy battery consumption, apart from this it performs brilliantely.
Cheers Graham
AnswerID: 2161

Reply By: porl - Thursday, Feb 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 21, 2002 at 01:00
Grahame

I think yours may be a previous model, his current models for that size are D45, 30L fridge and 15L freezer, and D56, 36L fridge and 20L freezer - so i am thinking your model may not have the Danfoss BD35 compressor - do you know if this is correct ? I know for a few years he did experiment with different compressors and just like the old Engels used to suk starting batteries dry overnight so do the old Explorers - matter of current (pun) technology I expect.

4WD Monthly did a serious comparison of fridges last year and although the fridge with the lowest current draw over a 48hr period ranging in controlled temperature from minus 25C to 55C was the new Engel and ARB with an average draw of 1.6amps per hour, the Explorer drew 2.4amps per hour - but this included the freezer which never went above minus 8C at external temperature 55C and down to minus 22C at the lowest external temperature. I would not call this a huge current draw when for example the Bushman and Liemack with no setting on freeze averaged 2.8amps and 5.6amps respectively.

But of course am keen to hear your reply.

thanks
AnswerID: 2162

Follow Up By: Graham - Saturday, Feb 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 23, 2002 at 01:00
Sorry Porl, my fridge is in fact a 56DC. I read with interest about the experiment with current draw comparisons. This has prompted me to look more closely at my aux batt. system, maybe my problem lies here and not the fridge. Will get back to you later.
Cheers Graham
FollowupID: 768

Follow Up By: Rob - Monday, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:00
Just to correct above, my reading from the same magazine is that three fridges had a current draw of 1.6A average over 24 hrs, the Engel, ARB and the Bushman. The fridge with the 2.8A draw was the Bush Boy. The Liemack fridge is a different type of fridge again in that it has a far greater refrigeration capacity than most others, with extended cycles, but you pay for this in current draw overall as well as start up and thus the need for increased capacity wiring.
FollowupID: 778

Reply By: Porl - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the corrections Rob, my error
AnswerID: 2194

Reply By: Rob P - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00
Anyone know what the Engel 40L peak current is ? I would like to see if I can run the Engel off my standard plug in the rear of the car, the plug is rated at 120W/12V (10A) so I would think that this should be fine. I know the standard wiring is small in diamter and may have more voltage drop, but would like to know who has tried it.
Thanks
AnswerID: 2211

Sponsored Links