Battery Charging

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:11
ThreadID: 77200 Views:2361 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

2nd battery is a bit down due to unfortunately lack of use of the 4by.

Is it recommended when charging a battery from a charger which is connected to 240V to:

1.. disconnect and remove the battery from the vehicle?
2.. just disconnect the battery, or
3.. none of the above and just charge leaving it connected in the vehicle

I appreciate that under normal operating conditions the battery is charged when the motor is running.

Cheers
CraigB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:45

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:45
Hi Craig,

Its OK to charge the battery in the vehicle and connected but I would advise some precautions:

1. Take care with the 240v at the vehicle especially if it is not under cover.

2. Use only a decent multi-stage charger with float function. With the battery and charger in the vehicle it is not so easy to supervise the charging process and overcharging could occur with a simple brute-force charger.

3. Leave the cell caps in place to avoid acid spray. The caps are designed to vent gasses produced during charging.

4. Arrange some reminder so that you do not forget and drive-off with the charger connected.

If the vehicle is parked outdoors a small 5watt solar charger will keep the battery in good condition without the need for 240v.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410459

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 13:16

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 13:16
My vehicle has 3 batteries and sits unused for weeks at a time. I have outlets from all 3 batteries in the cab. I hook the Ctek charger up to them one at a time until charged. Don't need to lift the bonnet.
If I sit the charger in the cab I won't drive off with it attached!
AnswerID: 410475

Reply By: macka17 - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 06:43

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 06:43
Hi.

Using the "Redarc" Solenoid type Controller. Your wing battery will NEVER be fully topped up.
Only true way for that to happen. Automatically. Is to buy an Electronic switch(more expensive).
Or couple a solar panel into it when parked.

I pop my bonnet around once a month. Turn sw, to couple both battery's. and leave a 20a Smart charger on car overnight.

Tps up both battery's. and good for amother month
I sit Charger on bullbar. and leave bonnet open. Have to walk past front of car in garage. Wire would trip me over if I tried to forget it.
Your battery's will last longer if you do that.
Macka17
AnswerID: 410729

Sponsored Links