GUNBARREL HWY PERMITS

just wanting to know has anyone ever had their permits checked whilst travelling the GBH,cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:00

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:00
No, but it is not worth avoiding getting one, as they are free!
AnswerID: 410533

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:00

From what I've heard you would be hard pressed to even gets permits for the South Australian Section of the Gunbarrel unless you know someone. Can't answer for the Abandoned Section as I haven't been there yet.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410534

Follow Up By: Member - John R (QLD) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:30

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:30
No trouble with a permit for that section in 2007, Alan. You just need at least 2 vehicles and some communication means, eg sat phone. (though it's really no more difficult or isolated than the rest of the Gunbarrel).

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 680419

Reply By: Member -Grundle (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:00

Did'nt when out that way in 08

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410535

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:29

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:29
I haven't ever been asked for permits in 18 years of 4Wdriving - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have them. If you get caught without them it could upset the system and more access bans may follow.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410539

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:38

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 19:38
I have yet to figure out why we need a permit for the GCR. Most communities welcome the tourists to come in and spend their money. Anyway, never been asked to show my permit in 25 yrs. Cheers
AnswerID: 410545

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:09

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:09
havent been asked to show a permit(usually get them anyway) but at Giles in 2002 arrived to find no unleaded only avgas.
dh who ran the show said if I had a permit I would have known
I proceeded to show him my permit issued about 4 months before that stated Giles had unleaded while warburton had already moved to a cocktail of unleaded/avgas.
thankfully realised that we would pick up another 1 1/2 hours as travelling east to west so elected to push on to warburton for fuel and overnight accommodation. their gain Giles loss.
what got up my goat was that the person involved had nothing to do with the permit system and should have minded his own business.
My attitude now is if the person who wants to see permit can provide me with documentary evidence of their right to ask for it I will show them otherwise Who are you??
cheers
Howard

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410551

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:20

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:20
They sell fuel at Giles? News to me..

This "dh who ran the show" as you call him, if he had "someone" ask him "who are you?" with contempt after he had asked that "someone" to produce a permit, then surely he would be in his right to deny that "someone" fuel if he so chooses.

Replace "someone" with "DH" as appropriate.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680437

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:50

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:50
ok if you have to be pedantic it was warrakuna roadhouse next to giles weather station. they did sell fuel in 2002 . I dont know about today.
if you had read my reply you would have seen i was not asked on this occassion to show a permit . the DH wrongly assumed I didnt have one when I sought unleaded petrol ( evident by his comment)
in this situation I volunteered the permit which had a note about the withdrawal of unleaded fuels in that area but stated they had unleaded.
He was happy to sell me avgas but i made the decision to go elsewhere due to his arragant attitude.I was not dependant on his fuel and had a preference for unleaded over avgas which is why i was initially going to fuel up there rather than warburton which I knew only had a mixture ulp/avgas.

gets back to the basics that it was none of his business if i had a permit or not.
he wasnt a copper, a ranger or a tribal elder from what i could see.

His attitude is what has seen me adopt my approach of show me your credentials first before I'll show you mine.

BTW you didnt use to run a roadhouse by any chance.

cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 680445

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:54
As you would know Howard the permit gives you alot of general info including fuel availability. The fact you applied 4 months in advance made your information outdated by the time you arrived. Not really the fuel attendants fault but no doubt he wrongly assumed you were like the many others he's had to deal with before that had not taken the time to get a permit at all.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 680447

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:09

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:09
No, never run a Roadhouse, however you see some bargains come up from time to time....

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680482

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:16

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 21:16
After having permits for every trip since 1984 (and they took some getting believe me. We had to use some form of writing implement, a pen I think they called it. I vaguely recall placing a folded piece of paper with a sticky thing on the front in a red box by the road side. 4 months and many messages by carrier pigeon later, a hand typed "permit" arrived. They also asked us to call at Alice Springs prior to departure and if we wouldn't mind dropping off some bit's and pieces to communities along the way!) I was finally asked for one by a CALM employee at the Calverts in 2008. I was so shocked I didn't know whether to be indignant or not. In the end he prefaced his request with "Look I know I don't have the power to ask but....". I was chuffed to produce, with suitable flourish, my brand new Canning Permit.

Only time in many years and countless kilometres. It's so easy to obtain them these days, why would you travel without them.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 410563

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:25

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:25
Are you sure Mick, looks very thin compared to you. ;-))))
FollowupID: 680488

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:33

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:33
I thought he did a typo and it should of said "the Truck on the left is mine" hehehehe
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680489

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:41

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 08:41
Harsh Peter....but fair. A mere strippling of 21 years my friend. If only the intervening years equalled the number of kilos I'd added. Bugger, I'd be in my sixties LOL. I reckon I've stuffed up the location. It's actually at Wiluna I think. The guys in the truck were heading east to do the Gunbarrell. My how things have changed. Who'd put a 1.8 litre petrol motor in a 4x4 of any description these days?

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680497

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:00

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:00
Jeez!! I'm with Peter on this one. :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 680500

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 23:27

Friday, Mar 26, 2010 at 23:27
Does anyone know what all these people who issue...question.... police ...etc.. permits are doing now??///
Not even thinking about them....Hahhahahahha

AnswerID: 410596

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 04:04

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 04:04
Hample 7

On our trip we were never once asked for a permit..

Not too sure where all this will end, but I can imagine An Insurance company wiping a clain if no permit has been issued.
I can also imagine having to produce a permit to obtain fuel..

Seems to be a dooms day approach, but you know just how reduculous things are becoming.

That is the worst case senario.....at best it will stay exactly where it is.

Just get permits, as they are free..... well almost all anyway

Cheeers
Bucky
AnswerID: 410607

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:35

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:35
So from all that previous 'chatter' I conclude that:

If you've never been requested to produce your Driver's Licence - you don't need one!

If you have never been requested to produce your Firearm Licence- you don't need one!

If you've never been requested to produce you Dig Licence - then obviously why would you ever need such licence!

I could go on - but I think you get the message. Do the right thing by everyone and get the required permits.
AnswerID: 410626

Reply By: ob - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 13:33

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 13:33
From what I can find out even the Great Central Road which AFAIK is classed a main road has a transit permit system in place. While I have no problem with obtaining a permit to travel on land that is owned by someone or some group I am bemused by the requirement to have a permit for roads such as this

ob
AnswerID: 410655

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:22

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:22
Your correct in stating that the GCR is a transit road to get you from point A to point B. The purpose of the free permit, from what I can gather, is to tell you where you can and cannot travel while on the GCR.

An earlier post talked about visiting communities along the way (such as Warburton). The permit I had made it clear that I was not to travel off the GCR into Warburton which is an indigenous community and that the same applied to all communities along the way. If I did want to visit the Warburton commmunity I would need to apply for a special permit.

This way if you do veer off the beaten track you don't have the half arsed excuse that you 'didn't know'.

It's a good system, it's free and it works until some idiot decides to 'test the waters'.
FollowupID: 680563

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 14:00

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 14:00
Hi
I have travelled many areas that require permits, from the APY Lands, to Aboriginal Lands in the Northern Territory and Western Australia. There is enough written details that show that travel through Aboriginal Lands DOES require permits.

You will not get a permit for the APY Lands not unless you know someone living there. These lands are the most governed, and believe me the bush telegraph works very well out there and they know who is travelling through and who you are seeing. You must pay for the permit.

In WA and the NT, most permits are free, so you are silly if you do not get them. When you do the Abandoned Gunbarrel, the chances of you seeing another vehicle are very slim. But to answer your question, NO we have never been asked to ever show our permits.

Do yourself a favour, get your permits and you will have nothing to worry about.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 410659

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:18

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:18
Yes we were asked about our permits last time
AnswerID: 410686

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 20:50

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 20:50
Hi
Can I ask were and by who checked your permits. Like everyone above, we have never been asked, but have always had them.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 680580

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 20:55

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 20:55
South Australian Police on the first section of the original Gunbarrel Highway between Mulga Park and Warakurna
FollowupID: 680583

Reply By: CSeaJay - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:49

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:49
Never been asked for a permit, but
When we travelled past Uluru's Rock on our way West, the Permit we had allowed us to pass through the checkpoint without having to pay like all the other daytrippers

CJ
AnswerID: 410691

Follow Up By: HAMPLE 7 - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:01

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:01
hi all,thanks for the info.have found the permit applications on line,makes sense to get them and keep everyone happy cheers.
FollowupID: 680557

Sponsored Links