39L Engel

Gudday,
my 39L Engel is approx 12 years old, has been housed in an insulated cover its entire life, and still works an absolute treat.
The only problem is that one side of the cooling jacket on the inside of the unit does not cool down anymore. The other side works perfectly and indeed compensates for the side that no longer works.
Wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with their Engel and what the solution could be?
Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOPIES - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:46

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:46
Hi Tass,

Yes had exact same problem 4 or 5 years ago. Did't get to to the repair part of it as that night the repair agent had 18 new 39 lt Engel's and mine stolen, mine replaced with a new unit by my camping gear insurer.

I don't believe the repair will be cheap, probably about half the price of a new unit, I hope not but good luck.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 410604

Reply By: donk - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:34

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:34
If only one side of the coil is getting cold i think you will find it is low on gas probably due to a very small leak

Regards Don
AnswerID: 410625

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:24

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:24
I just had a look at my 12 year old Engel and subjectively one side is colder than the other.

It appears that the area nearer to the inlet ie expansion valve is colder and I think this is normal.

If you look at the fridge towards the hinges the RH side is colder.

Don't worry be happy.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 410632

Follow Up By: dbish - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:14

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:14
Any fridg evaporator should be same temp all the way around. To test wet finger touch evap if it doesnt stick its low in Gas & will only get worse. If left to long the compressor will eventualy suck in moisture from leak. If not fixed promptly after that you risk a siezed compressor from corosion. Cheers Daryl
FollowupID: 680520

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 14:52

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 14:52
hi rangiephil
i just inspected my 29ltr engel which was made in 1982
and the coil area is cold and same all the way around
so was pleased
decided to have a look after being promted by this thread
this old one has been and still is a gem of a fridge
also have a 40ltr as well
cheers
FollowupID: 680536

Reply By: GerryP - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 21:18

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 21:18
I agree with Don, sounds like it's short of gas. Could also be a partial blockage in the refrigerant circuit. Older Engels had a problem where the small pencil driers would start to come adrift internally and block the capillary tube.

Take it to a good domestic/commercial fridge mechanic - not hard to diagnose and repair. Don't let the distributors talk you into a replacement cooling unit @ $600+, that's just a quick and easy way for them to make a buck!

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 410711

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 09:09

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 09:09
I do not agree the references to repairing older Engels. The replacement compressor/condenser /evaporator are designed to be a sealed unit already gassed that is just slotted into the case and the connector plugged in.

The labour is minimal and can be DIY. That is why the is slotted where the pipes go over the top case unlike a Waeco where the repairer has to chop bits out here and there.

IMHO, the poster would be far better off just buying the new bit than paying indeterminite amounts of labour to maybe fix or maybe not fix the problem.

BTWmine was fully checked out one year ago when my thermostat died and pronounced healthy by an Engel repair agent, and it is less cold on one side. I will not worry until it shows some change in behaviour like excessive cycling.

Apparently the sign of trouble is when the compressor current draw changes .
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 680652

Follow Up By: GerryP - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:41

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:41
That's fine Phillip and a lot of people will prefer to do just that. H

However, I am a fridgie and yes, I have repaired them. All fridge systems are designed as a sealed unit and you need a gas licence to tap into the refrigerant circuit. There is nothing mystical about a refrigeration system and if you understand the thermodynamics and have the proper equipment, they're not difficult to fault find.

All I am suggesting is that for most faults, they can be fixed easily and for a heck of a lot less than $600, which is, I am told, the price of a replacement unit.

Just offering the writer some options and food for thought.

Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 680767

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 13:08

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 13:08
Hi Tass,
Try turning the engel upside down (switched off) for 20 mins then upright for 5mins then restart.
I had a similar problem with my old 29L and it worked and mine is 40 years old and is still fine.
Ian
AnswerID: 411059

Sponsored Links