Walking to southern most point of Tasmania

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:02
ThreadID: 77234 Views:9526 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon,

Does any one know if you can walk to the southern most point of Tassie / Australian Continent. We has seen some walks in the South West National Park but none seem to show a track right to the southern point. Have done a search here and cannot find anything - does anyone know of any trek notes?

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:28

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:28
The closest track I've found to that is the "South Coast Track" the closest point to the tip is about S43 36.576 E146 50.264. which is 4 kilometres as the crow flies.
AnswerID: 410666

Reply By: TassieD - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:33

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 15:33
The Cockle Creek to South Cape Rivulet is approx 4 hours. http://www.bushwalktasmania.com/southcoast-track.htm
AnswerID: 410668

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 16:10

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 16:10
Did that walk in Jan 97 - waited a day or 2 at Cockle Creek for the weather to clear, which it eventually did, but while waiting it was bitterly cold. Took a day full day for us inexperienced walkers to get to SC Rivulet, but its a good walk, with quite a bit of boardwalk to keep you out of the swampy sections. Impressive rugged coastline with many lines of breakers coming in to shore. Its a busy track as its the eastern end of the big SW walk.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680540

Reply By: taswegian - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 17:05

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 17:05
G' day,

S. E Cape not south Cape is the most southern point of the tassie mainland. If you are real keen and would like a full day Bush Bashing, Yes, it can be done it is covered in very thick high scub that obliterbrates all coastal and nearby views there are no formed tracks or signing. Most people trying the trek leave from the S.E end of south cape bay a 2.5- 3 hr walk from cockle creek.I have done Aussies 4 points, cheated, on S.E cape got put ashore by dinghy on the way around the coast on a cray trip. Suggest a look on Google earth for further info & photos.

Tassie.
AnswerID: 410677

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:52

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 18:52
Gidday

There was a book published by John Chapman back in 1978 which I still have a copy of, and used it regularly at the time (South West Tasmania; ISBN 0 9596129 0 4).

It may still be available at your local library.

Any bush walking in the SW of Tasmania should be taken seriously. However I've heard there have been many track improvements in the last 30 years.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 410692

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:56

Saturday, Mar 27, 2010 at 19:56
Hi
If you have a GPS and digital camera, contact Damian about doing a new Trek for here on EO and by doing so you will become a member and earn members dollars to spend.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 410698

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:01

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:01
agree with the above (did it a few years ago but not the whole way). Unless you want to fly in at the other end you drive to Cockle Creek. Track well established for the first day (board walk some of the way for first 3hrs to the beach). Then it follows an easily followed track which sometimes goes along the beach. You can't get lost!
From the South Cape Rivulet (first night camping) it gets tough as you hit the mountains. don't take it lightly. It's the toughest walk in Tassie with no way out unless you're willing to set off your EPIRB and pay for a chopper rescue.

http://www.john.chapman.name/tas-sthc.html
http://www.hikinginfoonline.com/south_coast_track_tasmania.htm

If you are really adventurous (I'm hoping to do this in the next 5yrs) you can kayak to the bottom of Macquarie Harbour (leave from Strahan) and walk the whole way to Cockle Creek :) Check it out on Google Earth.

Cheers,

AnswerID: 410879

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:29

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:29
Did the walk 20 years ago, from cockle creek to Lake Pedder.

Yes I agree it is very hard but not the hardest in tas. Western arthurs is supposed to be the hardest.

We took 17 days to do the walk and carried all food. Did not opt to get a food drop at the airstrip at melaluca. At the time we were not interested in going to the most southern point but looking back on it now kinda wished we had.

Be prepared for all seasons in 1 day. During the 17 days we had 2 full days of blue sky and that was the day we walked in and the day we walked out. Rest of the time was rain or drizzle apart from a day we walked over the Iron Bound range which if I remember rightly is from a beach up to 1800 metres and then back to the beach on the other side. Was a very hard day indeed. The date was 14th of Januray and there was patchy cloud when we left just after sunrise. By about 9 am it was drizzle, around 10 it was raining, at 11 it was hail and at lunch (Midday) we finally made it to the top and it was snowing and minus 3. We were still in shorts but National Parks had a bubble hut at the top for this purpose.

By the time we got to the beach on the other side the sun was out again.....

Navagation for the South Coast track is very easy as it is a signposted track all the way but u do need to be prepared and experienced in multi day hikes.

Peter
AnswerID: 411221

Sponsored Links