Buying a Camera

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 15:41
ThreadID: 77258 Views:3775 Replies:13 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,
I have the oportunity to purchase a ....
Canon Rebel XTI-400D
It comes with....
two batteries, NB-2L and NB-2LH
18-55mm lens (Canon)
70-300mm lens (Canon)
Uv filter
Around 10k actuations
It was purchased in the US in March 2008 and is 10.1MP

Its second hand and and they are asking $750........
The Mrs has out grown our old camera and are looking to up grade.
Any info good or bad would be appreciated.

Cheers Hairy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 15:48

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 15:48
Make sure it fits her hand. I tried several Canons and as I have long fingers they were all too small so I bought a Nikon.

Most cameras have a country of origin warranty only so if it breaks down and its still under warranty you will have to send it back to the USA for a free fix or pay for it to be fixed here.

Lens usually have a worldwide warranty.

How much is the gear new here.

They are quite good cameras provided they have been looked after.

I dislike changing lens in the field so sold my two Nikon lens and bought a Tamron 18 -270mm which covers both of yours.

It did however cost $1000.

Cheers
AnswerID: 410774

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 15:52

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 15:52
Thanks Graham

If it feels al-right to me....I mean her.....do you think the price sounds fair?

Cheers
FollowupID: 680747

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:00

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:00
I dont know as I dont know the retail here or the condition of the gear.

I suggest you take it to a Camera shop that sells them for a valuation.

Would be a safer way or look on Ebay for the prices there and pay a bit less than that.

EG my 70-300VR Nikon lens is $1000 roughly here I sold mine hardly used for

$525 as they are about $600+ on Ebay

The Nikon batteries are $109 I paid $49 in Singapore for genuine EL-3.

Hope that gives you an idea of what things are worth.

FollowupID: 680751

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:10

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:10
Thanks for your help Graham....Cheers
FollowupID: 680752

Follow Up By: Member -Chops - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:12

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:12
Gday Hairy,
Just bought a Canon Rebel on Ebay. Paid $640 delivered registered post. It is a factory refurbished unit but from what I've done so far, appears quite OK.
Col
FollowupID: 680754

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:21

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:21
Gday Col,
Did you get any accessories with it for that price?
What size lens/lenses?

Cheers
FollowupID: 680758

Follow Up By: Member -Chops - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:57

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:57
This is the one I bought Hairy. Be brilliant when I work out all the settings.
Canon
Cheers
Col
FollowupID: 680762

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:06

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:06
Hairy

I’m currently using a Canon EOS 400D with a 28 – 200mm lens. The picture quality is very good and it’s also a very robust camera.
A few more AF sensors would be nice, but you can’t have everything.

It might be a good idea to question the seller about its past life, but that aside, it sounds like a good price with Canon lenses.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 410775

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:12

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:12
Gday Kim,
I havent seen it yet but it says its been babied, never dropped and in excellent condition.
It belongs to a yank from work......they usually sell a lot of gear cheap when they return to the States rather than freighting it all.

Cheers
Hairy
FollowupID: 680753

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:24

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:24
Hairy

Then I'd say, go for it. Some of the Canon lenses are worth more that by themselves.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 680759

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:42

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:42
Cheers Kim
FollowupID: 680761

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:37

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:37
the camera body is inconsequential to the lens...
look at good second hand bodie a couple of years old...
for the canon range a 450D would be better than a new 1000D
youll only save a hundred or two between a new & old body

buy at least one good glass/steel lens & not a zoom
look for a lens with a red strip around it..
Canon L Series, weatherproof & important for the likes of us..

& do the homework on finding the good plastic/plastic ones..

nb no affiliate with canon

FollowupID: 680766

Follow Up By: Spana - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:06

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:06
Hey robertbruce,
I agree with what you're saying. A good second hand body is better than a cheap new body. I have a spare 40D body incase anyone here is interested!

As much as the L lense's are a great recomendation, I doubt anyone planing on getting a 400/450D is planning to shell out that sort of coin.
There are a good range of cheapish lenses out there, by that i don't mean cheap! :)

cheers
Troy
FollowupID: 680770

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:35

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:35
In so confused!!!!
FollowupID: 680776

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:17

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:17
i got confused too I8) ...

it took me three months to realise i didnt have enough budget to take a photo with a stunning and vivid resolution... I8(

so i had to think about what sort of great photo i wanted to take....
then i doubled my budget for a fixed focal canon weatherproof L series lens. After looking at some second hand len's, the key to my photography became weatherproofed lens...

it's easy to settle for an old good body if it's clean, i would only have already bought one a couple of years ago..

Also, the L series lens will suit a 1D or 5D "full frame" camera for when i can afford one second hand...those cameras are weatherproof too... I8)

imo, there are some good plastic lens's about if you can stay disciplined with there use but im unlikely to be able to do that..lol....
FollowupID: 680788

Follow Up By: Member - Jeremy W (SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:49

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:49
Canon have 2 types of lens mounts - EF and EFS.

EFS lenses are made for the smaller (APS-C) sensors and will not fit the likes of the 5D Mk1 and 1 D. The EF lenses fit all Canon models.

L series EF lenses are very very nice and very expensive.
One does not get L series EFS lenses!!

If you think you might want to go for the bigger sensors then EF (not EF lenses) are a must.

As for comparing an L series lens on a APS-C sensor (450D etc) with one of the better EFS lenses (much cheaper) - I'll leave that to sites like DPreview, Ken Rockwell, Bob Atkins and "The luminous Landscape.

Jeremy

FollowupID: 680829

Reply By: Simo & Stace - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:26

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:26
Hi Hairy,

I'm no camera expert but we were looking a buying a DSLR not long ago so i think some of the info is still in the brain. The camera you are talking about is, in Australia called the 400D which is now a few seasons old. I think the newest one out is the 550D which replaced the 500D which replaced the 450D, which replaced the 400D.
Some shops when we were looking are doing specials on the models that are being replaced by newer versions, so it might pay to check some of the bargains out.

One thing to think about is that Canon use image stabalising (IS) in their lenses not in the camera body. Make sure that the lenses that come with the camera are IS lenses, otherwise you will need a super steady hand.

The price you stated seams a little high for me, but i do like a good bargin. Do some research on the net, heaps of stuff out there and you should be able to get a fair idea, or you will just get more confused!!

Good luck

Simo
AnswerID: 410785

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:39

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:39
Gday Simo,
How do I tell if they are IS? Is it written on the lens...or what do I look for?

Cheers
FollowupID: 680779

Follow Up By: Simo & Stace - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:03

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:03
Hey Hairy,

It's soo fun trying to get the right camera to do everything you need them to do.

Again i'm certainly no expert, but it should say somewhere on the lenses that it's a Image Stabaliser Lens or have the "IS" abreviation on it.

We looked at cameras for a good couple of weeks and searched the net high and low. In the end we ended up going for a non DSLR, they have a few different names like "interim" camera, super zoom etc. We got a Nikon Coolpix D90. Main reasons was that we are traveling Aus and didn't want to spend too much, didn't really want to not know how the camera works and miss all the good photos, and didn't want to take too much camera equipment around with us everywhere we go. To get the equivalent zoom as our Nikon on DSLR lots and lots of money, so it works for us. Easy to use, light weight , good zoom and takes a nice picture with still some manual functions to play around with.

There's so many cameras to choose from it's not funny from $200 to well beyond probably my yearly income - Although i am traveling and haven't worked for 5 months now....life is sooo hard!!!

Even more confused???

Good Luck

Simo
FollowupID: 680785

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:40

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 17:40
Hairy
Like the thought of the 300 lens, I have a Nikon but the Canon is a good name too,

Not really mate.
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 410786

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:38

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:38
Hahahahahaha............
FollowupID: 680778

Reply By: Spana - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:00

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:00
Hiya Hairy,
For that kit, I reckon it's a bit rich. Unless these lenses are the image stabilized versions, there worth next to nothing. I doubt i could even give away my 18-55, it's just sitting in the desk drawer. The 70-300, we were advised by camera house to go for the tamron option, as it was a better lens, you can pick this lens up new for under $200, they no longer make the canon 70-300 non IS so not sure of it's retail price.

The 400D is not a bad camera for what it's worth, but it is getting older, and there are a few upgrades, ie the 450 and 500. JB Hi Fi have the 450D on sale now with the 2 image stabilized lenses for $1269, I know it's a fair bit more, but the lenses are a whack better, it's new, never used, and its a bit more advanced.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital-cameras/slr/

there's the link if you should want it, I'd go the 1000D for $896 before I got a second hand 400D at your price.

Cheers
Troy
AnswerID: 410790

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:34

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 18:34
Thanks Troy.....Its starting to sound a bit expensive hey?
FollowupID: 680775

Follow Up By: Spana - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:52

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:52
hey Hairy, please don't be put off, it doesn't have to be expensive.
I still use the 400D for underwater photography and it's a great camera. Sure there is heaps better out there, but with a heaps bigger price tags. What you really want to do is work out realistically what you intend to do with it. If you're after shots you intend to get paid for, than no this is not the camera for you, it can do it, but you'll have to work a lot harder for it compared to a higher end model.
As for the lenses, I said they aren't worth a lot, not to say you won't get beatifull pics, but on a professional level (not me, just my wife) they are not rated. I do believe though that you do NOT need to spend a fortune on lenses. My wife made many a few dollars on a lense worth only $150!
If this is your first DSLR package, I reckon it will do you well, even the relativly poor lenses will still get you a better pic than with a point and shoot (my opinion only).
Your buy is not a bad option, just a hundred or 2 more than I'd pay. Start small, and if you like it, invest more, but believe me, once the bug bites, you WILL spend a fortune!
Atleast it means you love what you do
Troy
FollowupID: 680798

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:18

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:18
Hairy,

My 350D is a good camera and I still use it from time to time as a backup. The 400D is now a couple of generations old but still a good DSLR starter.
I had a look on EBay at completed auctions for Canon the EOS 400D with 18-55mm + 75-300m kit lenses and the price you have been asked is the top end.
However your price includes the 70-300 and if the current model is a better lens and is probably worth the extra dollars.
If the lenses are IS which is possible it will be marked on the lens and there will be a switch to turn the IS on or off.
Also on the plus side is that you know the seller.
AnswerID: 410801

Reply By: BubblesT - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:44

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:44
That camera and the lens kit it comes with is not worth more than $250 ( make an offer you have nothing to loose) it is a few years old now regardlesss of what they are asking for and what they paid for it i . I will not sell my older DSLR cameras as I can not get anywhere near what I have paid for them so keep as a back up. You can buy newer camers for that price not necessary a canon you pay for the name. Also it would be out of waranty by now. Do more research if you are not in a hurray to buy one...... you will be amazed at what you come up with. Even the pixals are low my camera is 14MP and that is 18 months old.

AnswerID: 410805

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:12

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:12
Hello Hairy, I only just spotted your post. Bet you are well and truely confused by now. And I don't think I can unconfuse you. I don't really know the Canon range, but... Kit lenses on lower end cameras are usually not up to the quality of the regular lens range, but this isn't always so. You could try the following site that has reviews on most cameras and lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Canon Rebel series have a good reputation. I wouldn't be too worried about newer cameras having more megapixels. Not really an issue unless you want to do really big print blowups from your shots, and usually more megapixels means noisier shots and there is now a move to make cameras with less megapixels. 10.1 should be fine.
I would imagine that you will want to use this in desert country?? The advice someone gave re having a lens range so you don't have to change lenses too often is very wise in desert conditions. The sensors attract dust like you wouldn't believe whenever you take the lens off to put on another lens.

Do you take much stuff in low light or using a long telephoto? If so, you will want either a tripod or an image stabilized camera or lens. I prefer to have IS in the body of the camera so it works with all my lenses. Canon don't make them this way and you have to get it in each lens, which costs more. Ask the current owner about it or check the lenses on the site I gave above. If you don't do much shooting like this, it isn't an issue.
Check the memory cards included in this deal. You don't mention that any are included.
Can you take a few shots then look at them on decent screen? Look for anything that might be scratches or specks that appear in the same place on all the shots, even when using different lenses.. If the latter, then the sensor is dirty and may, or may not, bea ble to be cleaned succesfully.

Do a hunt on ebay for the same model to compare prices.
AnswerID: 410811

Follow Up By: BubblesT - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:22

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:22
Megapixels would play a part in what the camera is worth. Always change lenses in a plastic bag so the lens & camera do not get dust in them. Check Cannon forum.
FollowupID: 680804

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:55

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 20:55
That would be a big plastic bag. I'm 6'4".

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680816

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:15

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:15
Bubbles, I don't want to get too bogged down in this, it gets pretty technical, but that isn't entirely so (re megapixels) There was a bit of a war between makers to squeeze more and more megapixles into cameras and for the same sensor size (that's an important qualification) squeezing in more pixels does not improve the shot, rather the reverse. That is why the new, very highly regarded Canon G11 now has only 10 megaqpixels where its previous model, the G10 had 14. something. They are using less pixels because thius gives better image quality. The point I was making is that while the marketers kept pushing for more pixels because buyers who didn't understand hoe this worked, always thought more was better, , anything much over 10 - 12 for an APS-C camera doesn't really improve image quality, so the 10.1 of the camera Hairy is looking at is just fine, unless Hairy wants to do very big blowups of his shots and is happy to get noisier shots in return.
I accept however that a camera with more megapixels might be newer and cost more, but this has more to do with marketing hype than image quality.
FollowupID: 680820

Follow Up By: BubblesT - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:51

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 21:51
That is a good explantion no problems. I have 3 DSL and to resell them they are not worth a fraction of what you pay for them.... as new ones are coming out all the time at very reasonable prices. top Cheers Trish
FollowupID: 680830

Follow Up By: BubblesT - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:32
Gone Bush, no silly billy....just a plastic shopping bag to put lens and camera in to change over. Get to know where they click in on the camera and you can do it without looking just by feel stops any dust getting in.
FollowupID: 680892

Reply By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 22:56

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 22:56
G/Day,,,Hahahahahahahaha,!!. Bet ya wished you had shut up!,,,,,LOL.

Cheers Axle
AnswerID: 410833

Reply By: D200Dug- Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 23:24

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 23:24
After all that are you any the wiser ?

I am a Nikon fanatic so I despise everything canon.

Apart from that they are OK.

I would buy a copy of the camera trader magazine it is a yellow paper edition and it has camera advertisements in it.

It is pretty much the bible as to going prices in Australia for second hand gear.

check it out and see what similar cameras and lenses are going for.

If they are less show the yank

if they are more shut up and buy the camera :-)
AnswerID: 410837

Reply By: Peter W - Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 23:35

Sunday, Mar 28, 2010 at 23:35
G'day Hairy,
Don't want to confuse you further with more info and will try and answer your original question.
If the camera is in good shape (borrow it for a couple of days and shoot some shots) the price, given all the extras listed, is reasonable.
The Rebel Xti is equivalent to the Australian EOS 400D which I have.
If you have not had a DSLR before it is a great learning camera and I have found it to be fairly robust and at the same time one that can take good shots.
All the shots herehttp://peterwpa1.zenfolio.com/ were taken with this camera and the early shots (ones without captions in the Victoria section) were with the often maligned 18-55 lens.
It is a good walk around lens but with some limitations.
Later shots are with the Wide Angle 10-22.
It is fairly light if the missus is to use it and mine has not missed a beat since purchase new in July 2008 (and I use mine in some very remote and dusty spots).
Hopefully the shots will give some evidence of the camera's capabilities.
Cheers.
Peter
"Life is not a Rehearsal"
AnswerID: 410839

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:25

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:25
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I am totally confused now, but have certainly learnt a lot and have a few more options now. LOL

I think if they are IS lenses and she will drop the price a bit we will consider it....otherwise I might keep on looking.

Thanks again for all of your Help!

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 410857

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:09

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:09
Hey mate,
As for the amount of images it has taken...... Manafacturers recomend 100 000 images from most cameras these days, which is a hell of a lot of shots. So 10 000 is really not that much, only 10% worn.

Mine (Nikon) is almost 2 years old and is up to 85 000 frames and still going stong. (and I do not look after it). I shot just over 20 000 frames in 3 weeks in feb but that was on borrowed gear from Nikon. The Pro bodies have a recomended life of 150 000 but I have heard of some that are 6 months old with over half a million pics taken.

So I can see if this is your final choice then you will have alot of life left in it providing if it has been well looked after.

Unfortuanetly I can not comment on Canon gear as I am not up to date with that gear and only know Nikon.

Peter
AnswerID: 411220

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:44

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:44
Gday Peter,
I ended up buying an Olympus 450 brand new for about the same price.....should be good enough fro her to learn with and get something dearer if she sticks to it.

Cheers
Hairy
FollowupID: 681309

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:53
I tell ya, it is a drug for me once I get a shot I am happy with which is not very often I have to go out a get and better one. LOL

Hear is a link to some pics I recently took...... Website is only in it's infancy at the moment but I a hoping to use this free time over the weekend to expand it.

peter's pics

And no I have not added this link for self promotion in any way just want to share some pics from feb.

Peter
FollowupID: 681317

Sponsored Links